• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Stargazers / sunset watchers - need advice

Ellinwood

Well, since this is daytime observing, I would think just anywhere with a big enough view of the sky (i.e., no obstructions like trees) would be fine.

That's what she's looking for, but she wants to find a really, really good spot for it since it'll be occurring as the Sun sets and doesn't want to miss any of it.

Edited title...

That's what she's looking for, but she wants to find a really, really good spot for it since it'll be occurring as the Sun sets and doesn't want to miss any of it.

Edited title...

It's not "perfect" but it has clear views in just about all directions - MLK Park where I do all of my observing. No light pollution concerns either since it's during the day.

June can be hazy and humid. Keep that in mind. I would consider hitting skyline drive. Some of the overlooks, brief hikes, and big meadows area have excellent viewing. Plus, at 3,500'+ you'll be above alot of the haze (if there is any). It's a great place to go no matter what the reason. Excellent vistas all over the place.

June can be hazy and humid. Keep that in mind. I would consider hitting skyline drive. Some of the overlooks, brief hikes, and big meadows area have excellent viewing. Plus, at 3,500'+ you'll be above alot of the haze (if there is any). It's a great place to go no matter what the reason. Excellent vistas all over the place.

Excellent point, Bob. I neglected to think about that myself. Perhaps it will be on one of those rare dry and cooler than average days!

EDIT: Big Meadows would be a great location, I think! It has the elevation and when I drove by there in fall there was a big open area where one could setup some astronomy equipment.

Its not really local to the DC 'burbs, but Dan's Rock in western Allegany County, MD has a panoramic view at 2895' elevation. Really one of the more dramatic overlooks in the Mid-Atlantic. Did a lot of star-gazing and photography from there for many years.

That's an excellent suggestion. Dan's has an excellent view and it simple. Drive - park - walk 100' - and gaze.

I spent a few nights "stargazing" at Dan's Rock when I went to Frostburg in 1988. lol

• 1 year later...

Off topic but.... Thinking about heading out there in the next couple weeks. What are the best overlooks, hiking spots, waterfall locations?

Thanks for any help!

Off topic but.... Thinking about heading out there in the next couple weeks. What are the best overlooks, hiking spots, waterfall locations?

Thanks for any help!

Hiighest point in the park is Hawksbill.  Short, but steep hike.  Breathtaking views to the west at the summit.  Enter at Thorton Gap and head south about 9 miles.

Overrun Falls is the highest waterfall in the SNP.  It's a couple mile hike, but an easy one.  Hint, many people reach the upper falls and think that's it.... it's not.  For the adventurous, if you follow the the creek down stream you'll find even more falls and, eventually, you'll reach a clearing with a breathtaking view of the valley below.

http://www.ohranger.com/shenandoah/poi/over-run-falls-trail

Those are two of my favorite parts of the SNP.  Hope it helps.

Hiighest point in the park is Hawksbill.  Short, but steep hike.  Breathtaking views to the west at the summit.  Enter at Thorton Gap and head south about 9 miles.

Overrun Falls is the highest waterfall in the SNP.  It's a couple mile hike, but an easy one.  Hint, many people reach the upper falls and think that's it.... it's not.  For the adventurous, if you follow the the creek down stream you'll find even more falls and, eventually, you'll reach a clearing with a breathtaking view of the valley below.

http://www.ohranger.com/shenandoah/poi/over-run-falls-trail

Those are two of my favorite parts of the SNP.  Hope it helps.

Thanks! There is so much information out there that is so overwhelming! I plan on going during the fall foliage probably during the week so it is a little less crowded. Thanks again!

Archived