Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Dr. Mel has passed

ChrisM

RIP Dr. Mel

As a kid and young adult reading his daily column in the Hartford Courant was my favorite part of the paper and is how I first learned how much snow is average for Hartford for the season, along with hundreds of other interesting facts about Ct climo way before the age of the internet. A true gentleman and great Met.

A sad day indeed but he suffers no more.

I had heard this on the radio today. Very sad. I was always a big fan and he did much to inspire my interest in weather. I'd eagerly await the Sunday Courant to read his "weatherwise article".

On a personal note, he also died from the same disease as my Dad. It was really inspirational to me to see him fight that for so long. A real rarity.

RIP

Preliminary news report that Dr. Mel has passed. On my phone, can't post a link

I grew up in Danbury, Ct and would wake each morning to WLAD, during the early 70's, where Mel would give the day's weather at 6:25am. I also had the opportunity to senior project with him at Westconn in '81 as he was developing his severe weather index, called the DAX (iirc). He will be sorely missed in these days of photogenic beauties (Ryan excluded, of course).

Man reading the comments at the wtnh site's article of his death just makes me sad beyond belief. It's funny how one Meteorologist can impact the lives of so many... I grew up watching this guy, to me it's like hearing that Jim Cantore passed away. Blah what an awful day for weather, despite the potential chance of snow.

Archived