• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Alaskan Snowpocalypse

MCS

Nome AK has been running 29.3 deg below normal so far this month. (LOL)

Yakutat located just southeast of Cordova has been running 1 deg above normal.

That's some gradient there. Fairbanks is about 17 deg below normal.

Valdez reports 98.5 inches of snow so far this month and a slight negative temperature anomaly. Most of that snow fell in about a week up to the 11th.

Heard on the local news that heavy snow extends down the inner coast to the end of the AK panhandle, the town of Stewart BC which is a border crossing to Hydar AK is similarly buried in 15-20 feet of snow at present, but if you go further south down the BC coast, snowfall amounts rapidly decrease at inland locations to normal values (Whistler has about its normal amount of powder, the local subalpine ski resorts were somewhat low on natural snow until this past weekend). Near sea level in Vancouver we have had three snowfall events this winter, one in mid-November and the other two this weekend, and a grand total of perhaps 4 inches to show for all that. There is currently one inch on the ground here. That's about average for this location.

Nome AK has been running 29.3 deg below normal so far this month. (LOL)

Yakutat located just southeast of Cordova has been running 1 deg above normal.

That's some gradient there. Fairbanks is about 17 deg below normal.

Valdez reports 98.5 inches of snow so far this month and a slight negative temperature anomaly. Most of that snow fell in about a week up to the 11th.

Heard on the local news that heavy snow extends down the inner coast to the end of the AK panhandle, the town of Stewart BC which is a border crossing to Hydar AK is similarly buried in 15-20 feet of snow at present, but if you go further south down the BC coast, snowfall amounts rapidly decrease at inland locations to normal values (Whistler has about its normal amount of powder, the local subalpine ski resorts were somewhat low on natural snow until this past weekend). Near sea level in Vancouver we have had three snowfall events this winter, one in mid-November and the other two this weekend, and a grand total of perhaps 4 inches to show for all that. There is currently one inch on the ground here. That's about average for this location.

That Nome F-6 is insane.

For VALDEZ, AK:

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME	RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
              VALUE   (LST)	VALUE	   VALUE  FROM	  YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
SNOWFALL
(INCHES)
YESTERDAY          0.0			11.8  2002   1.9	-1.9	0.0
MONTH TO DATE     98.5                        30.4	68.1	1.3
SINCE DEC 1	 250.7                       102.1   148.6   74.4
SINCE JUL 1	 322.1                       155.9   166.2   84.3
SNOW DEPTH (IN)	 78                                         10

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Cordova, AK from 1994-1996. Never ever saw that much snow there. Most storms were ice and the most I think I ever saw there was around 10". Some interesting facts about the place. The road that goes past the airport continues another 40 miles or so before it dead ends at the "Million Dollar Bridge". Called that because it cost a million dollars to build and collapsed during the 1964 Earthquake. It was never rebuilt that I am aware of. There is one grocery store, one hotel, and one bank in town and thats it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Glacier_Bridge

I lived in Cordova, AK from 1994-1996. Never ever saw that much snow there. Most storms were ice and the most I think I ever saw there was around 10". Some interesting facts about the place. The road that goes past the airport continues another 40 miles or so before it dead ends at the "Million Dollar Bridge". Called that because it cost a million dollars to build and collapsed during the 1964 Earthquake. It was never rebuilt that I am aware of. There is one grocery store, one hotel, and one bank in town and thats it.

http://en.wikipedia...._Glacier_Bridge

Yeah I've heard of that bridge before. It says it was repaired in 2004 at a cost of $19 million dollars! It was cheaper to fix the bridge then to let fall completely into the river due to erosive forces. From what I read about it, some people would like to see the road extended to meet up with the rest of the Alaska Highway system.

Looks like the meltdown starts in Cordova and SE Coast:

SOUTHEAST PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND- INCLUDING...CORDOVA 500 AM AKST THU FEB 2 2012 .TODAY...RAIN. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S. SOUTHEAST WIND 20 TO 25 MPH. .TONIGHT...SNOW AND RAIN. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S. EAST WIND 10 TO 15 MPH. .FRIDAY...RAIN AND SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS AROUND 40. NORTHEAST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH. .FRIDAY NIGHT...SNOW AND RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING...THEN NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE 20S. SOUTHEAST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH. .SATURDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S TO MID 30S. EAST WIND 10 TO 15 MPH. .SATURDAY NIGHT...CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. .SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. .SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. LOWS 30 TO 35. .MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS AROUND 40. .MONDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. .TUESDAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS AROUND 40. .TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. .WEDNESDAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS AROUND 40.

Archived