12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who don't go over to the main forum, Don posted the updated forecast for FEB from the CFSv2. Its very ugly:

http://www.americanw...2/page__st__735

CFSv201262012run.jpg

Good news. So you'll have less negative things to post about and we'll see less of you? And when things do turn around you'll be roundly ignored. That would be a good deal......and using Don S? Really?

Good news. So you'll have less negative things to post about and we'll see less of you? And when things do turn around you'll be roundly ignored. That would be a good deal......and using Don S? Really?

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth

which is a lot like Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz

Gints all the way.

GFS at 144? Victory delivery system

critical thicknesses are too far north, not liking the warm look. Need the northern stream to push further south so the cold air can get into this system

its gonna change a 100 times so not gonna reall sweat it. Just happy its still being advertised so strongly

critical thicknesses are too far north, not liking the warm look. Need the northern stream to push further south so the cold air can get into this system

its gonna chance a 100 times so not gonna reall sweat it. Just happy its still being advertised so strongly

It'll end up a major snow storm.....pattern is fabulous considering the abuse we've been through

It'll end up a major snow storm.....pattern is fabulous considering the abuse we've been through

well. the 00z depiction is a monster storm for the hudson valley, mid sne, on north.

confluence just doesnt get a very good push south.

Luckily, its far out and can change.

Very sloppy with the northern stream vort, euro was much more defined with that and it helped create a colder system.

well. the 00z depiction is a monster storm for the hudson valley, mid sne, on north.

Very sloppy with the northern stream vort, euro was much more defined with that and it helped create a colder system.

Looks like a nice track for us.. it should be interesting to follow.

Snow for all..looks like a phase of the NS and SS to me Josh.....That PNA is just money. I'm thinking we can bank on that at this point......details details

The Feb 3rd storm is really before the pattern become favorable...it has the good PNA...but its before the cold air really drains so it will be tough to get a big snowstorm for I-95 in that setup...it would have to be a perfect track and be a starting-as-rain-to-wet-snow type deals.

Snow for all..looks like a phase of the NS and SS to me Josh.....That PNA is just money. I'm thinking we can bank on that at this point......details details

yeah the pna showing up is still classic, we just need more northern stream entrenchment. Storm is still there

The Feb 3rd storm is really before the pattern become favorable...it has the good PNA...but its before the cold air really drains so it will be tough to get a big snowstorm for I-95 in that setup...it would have to be a perfect track and be a starting-as-rain-to-wet-snow type deals.

Yeah...I agree. If we can organize this at H5 we could be okay -- but then again, with the PNA spike and the lack of blocking if it trends too strong it might end up trying to come west and then re-developing. Tough to get snow near the coast but this is not a bad setup for areas just N & W of the cities.

f180.gif

Agree, I think the better potential for the coast comes the following 7-10 days.

Fun to look at this point, but the GFS really goes bonkers w/ the PNA ridge. -30c 850s nearing NNE with subzero highs up there, according to the 00z gfs.

PNA ridge analog would be February 2006 and January 1987 as the two benchmarks for PNA ridging, but we'll see if it will produce a storm like that. I think it's possible, but need some more upstream help.

Those are decent analogs for after the pattern sets in...probably not so good for next weekend. Its a really marginal airmass and you are "waiting" for the cold to get circulated into the storm which is normally bad news for the coast. But the time frame is far out so really no use in getting too specific, but there isn't a lot to suggest that we'd all of the sudden be pretty cold before that potential threat.

Its always dangerous to try and forecast snow when you have to wait for the cold air CCB...think back to 1/13-14/08.

Those are decent analogs for after the pattern sets in...probably not so good for next weekend. Its a really marginal airmass and you are "waiting" for the cold to get circulated into the storm which is normally bad news for the coast. But the time frame is far out so really no use in getting too specific, but there isn't a lot to suggest that we'd all of the sudden be pretty cold before that potential threat.

Its always dangerous to try and forecast snow when you have to wait for the cold air CCB...think back to 1/13-14/08.

Will, yes the nightmare of January 2008... But yeah, it sure would help if we had some weak Greenland blocking, we all know if we have that; then couple with the PNA, we'd be getting pretty excited for possible KU, but since this is a pacific driven pattern, it probably won't happen. But we shall see.

Will, yes the nightmare of January 2008... But yeah, it sure would help if we had some weak Greenland blocking, we all know if we have that; then couple with the PNA, we'd be getting pretty excited for possible KU, but since this is a pacific driven pattern, it probably won't happen. But we shall see.

You don't need a perfect Atlantic...but its good to get some cold air into the region first before a system approaches. Its hard to work with an airmass where you start at +1 or +2 at 850 and hope it cools...it can snow like that, but usually the events are small...not the larger 6"+ events that people are looking for.

if the GFS is right, yes it would be way too warm around here for snow, while New England gets crushed. But its 180hrs and the euro at 12z had a much colder miller B type of storm. I think everything is still on the table.

With the high to the north like that and this track, you'd think it could be at least a rain to snow thing. With the confluence diving down, we need it timed right.

You don't need a perfect Atlantic...but its good to get some cold air into the region first before a system approaches. Its hard to work with an airmass where you start at +1 or +2 at 850 and hope it cools...it can snow like that, but usually the events are small...not the larger 6"+ events that people are looking for.

In your view, is the Atlantic driven pattern "more" of a factor for us seeing the larger events; I think it sure is; 2009-2010 and last year proved that to me; but there are such exceptions where a excellent Pac can overcome a bad Atlantic, but I would take an ideal Atlantic, you know, for the heck of it.

Arctic air moving over a snow mass injected into the system the Goofus is showing in early Feb? Not worried lol

Well not on the 180 threat...its not arctic air yet...but after that it gets a lot colder. That's why the 180 threat is kind of meh right now for the coast...it can work out...the time frame is so far out that it could be a lakes cutter, lol...but it probably won't have a good airmass with it, but who knows, I don't want to speculate too much on one threat that far out.

But the pattern behind it looks to have its chances.

Archived