• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I saw weird lights swirling in the sky. Zip 10804

I saw some weird lights in the sky. This was about 6-7p on Wednesday 12/28/2011 in New Rochelle, NY 10804. The lights were moving around. They did not have any definitive shape. There were a bunch of them. My Mom said go outside and look at the sky, and I did, and it was black but there were clouds and the lights were swirling in the clouds. There was also really heavy wind around this time. Like upwards of 30mph. The lights were only visible in the clouds. As soon as a light reached the end of a cloud I wouldn't see it until it appeared in another cloud. I've never seen anything like it. I assume it was some weather phenomenon but I am curious to know what. I tried to capture it on camera but it was just black when I looked through the camera so I didn't bother filming.

While I was watching these lights swirling about 10 minutes later from when I started a plane passed above and then I went inside and that's it. It was pretty weird. Anyone have any idea what I saw?

Thanks

I saw some weird lights in the sky. This was about 6-7p on Wednesday 12/28/2011 in New Rochelle, NY 10804. The lights were moving around. They did not have any definitive shape. There were a bunch of them. My Mom said go outside and look at the sky, and I did, and it was black but there were clouds and the lights were swirling in the clouds. There was also really heavy wind around this time. Like upwards of 30mph. The lights were only visible in the clouds. As soon as a light reached the end of a cloud I wouldn't see it until it appeared in another cloud. I've never seen anything like it. I assume it was some weather phenomenon but I am curious to know what. I tried to capture it on camera but it was just black when I looked through the camera so I didn't bother filming.

While I was watching these lights swirling about 10 minutes later from when I started a plane passed above and then I went inside and that's it. It was pretty weird. Anyone have any idea what I saw?

Thanks

northern lights probably. I think I was reading something about them over in the New England thread.

Probably spot lights from some attraction on the ground reflecting off the clouds. I saw something similar up here around Halloween. It was kind of freaky at first but then it became apparent that the while the lights looked random there was actually a pattern to them and I only saw them on the clouds.

Probably spot lights from some attraction on the ground reflecting off the clouds. I saw something similar up here around Halloween. It was kind of freaky at first but then it became apparent that the while the lights looked random there was actually a pattern to them and I only saw them on the clouds.

you HAD to be the guy to give this a serious answer.

dude, last winter I saw pretty much the same thing you are describing on a cold, cloudy, windy day. I grabbed my handheld camera and took a video of it but you really cant see the lights very well. it was kind of like glitter flashing and moving around under the clouds and swirling around. Must be some kind of rare weather phenomenon but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has seen something like that. It was day time however.

Thanks for the replies. No this post is not a prank. I live in a suburban area called Larchmont Woods (also known as Beechmont Woods on google maps) and it's all suburbs. Just houses close together. I don't know where spotlights could have come from but I suppose it's possible. There is a ball field not far from here maybe half a mile. I don't know why they would be shining spotlights up in the sky. Also it didn't look like spotlights they were moving very fast and weird and there were too many of them. It looked like something you'd see in a movie.

Here's the general area where I live:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp=18&gs_id=3h&xhr=t&q=beechmont+woods+ny

I like the spotlight idea that a few have brought up in the thread. I've seen that on several occasions actually. The clouds reflect the light from the spotlight. It may have been some other bright light source (there are many) that was being sent into the sky. In that case, it would only reflect off the clouds not the sky (obviously lol). So it gives off the illusion that the light is "in the clouds".

Obviously it could have been something else, I don't know....but that would be my first guess.

Thanks for the replies. No this post is not a prank. I live in a suburban area called Larchmont Woods (also known as Beechmont Woods on google maps) and it's all suburbs. Just houses close together. I don't know where spotlights could have come from but I suppose it's possible. There is a ball field not far from here maybe half a mile. I don't know why they would be shining spotlights up in the sky. Also it didn't look like spotlights they were moving very fast and weird and there were too many of them. It looked like something you'd see in a movie.

Here's the general area where I live:

http://maps.google.c...chmont+woods+ny

i know that area well. The houses are very close together, maybe one of your neighbors was playing a prank on you.

dude, last winter I saw pretty much the same thing you are describing on a cold, cloudy, windy day. I grabbed my handheld camera and took a video of it but you really cant see the lights very well. it was kind of like glitter flashing and moving around under the clouds and swirling around. Must be some kind of rare weather phenomenon but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has seen something like that. It was day time however.

We used to get that in New England, too...

Lots of reports back in October. Now, naso much

Probably this: http://news.discovery.com/space/christmas-solar-eruption-to-hit-earth-and-mars-111228.html

Depending on the orientation of the magnetic field wrapped around the CME bubble of highly charged solar particles when it hits the Earth's geomagnetic field, there will be a chance of some auroral activity.

"There is a 20-40% chance of geomagnetic storms! If you live at a high latitude, look out for #auroras today," tweeted NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory team on Wednesday.

Although I would have guessed NYC was too far south for this one since it doesn't sound as strong as the one in October.

I googled some pics of auroras they are much bigger than what I saw and they have colors. Thank you for the comments. I figure it was a weather phenomenon or I guess a lot of spotlights. Like if someone shined a disco ball in the sky but all the light was all white... but what I saw was more flowing and swirling and wispy. I guess a white tiny aurora if there is such a thing. I have a hard time connecting it with something manmade but it's definitely possible. I have no idea really but thanks for all your replies.

Archived