joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
One Year Later: Remembering the KU Boxing Day Blizzard HECS

Hailstorm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true, but for those that were in the heart of Boxing Day it was more intense than anybody really got in 96 from a wind and snowfall rate perspective. Some in the midatlantic would argue that 2/5/10 was better than 96, for them, even though many of us up this way saw nothing. So it really depends if we are talking about are own perspective or that of the overall area.

Once again that was more of an isolated event for the DC area. All I saw that day was Virga :axe:

For 96, virtually nobody got the shaft unless you were far inland or way up in northern NE. The magnitude of the area affected combined with the massive totals and the long duration of the event (~30 hours) makes 96 the mother of all KU events hands down.

I was looking for a detailed snow total map for PDII and this was the best I could find. Once again, the area affected puts Boxing Day to shame. I think some posters on here may be a bit bias towards Boxing Day because they were too young to remember 96/03 well.

SnowTotals-16Feb03.jpg

Does anyone have the Upton final storm reports in text format from the 96 storm? I think the map is off a bit.

A couple of notes why the map looks wrong

1) Al Gore had just invented the internet, so there were far fewer reports and earthlight was only 3 months old so his 30+ inch amount is missing

2) The snowfall after 8AM Monday morning was never measured and/or reported costing some areas 2-5 more inches. Cat5andrew, when he was still here, verified this several times, as has William and AG3 and a few others

3) They measured snow depth for that storm which isn't how things are measured now.

A couple of notes why the map looks wrong

1) Al Gore had just invented the internet, so there were far fewer reports and earthlight was only 3 months old so his 30+ inch amount is missing

2) The snowfall after 8AM Monday morning was never measured and/or reported costing some areas 2-5 more inches. Cat5andrew, when he was still here, verified this several times, as has William and AG3 and a few others

3) They measured snow depth for that storm which isn't how things are measured now.

lol

but do the reports exist? I mean Im pretty sure, regardless of TornadoJay's snowhole, that most of Rockland saw more than 20", in fact I know I measured more than 2 feet and I know others did as well.

I remember 96 and must say that boxing day is by far the best storm I have experienced. I agree that 96 had a greater impact for a larger area and therefore remains king. But when I judge a storm it is based on personal experience and what conditions/dynamics were present. Boxing day had everything for me that 96 did not. Winds far exceeded 96, snowfall rates were much greater, and overall I experienced real blizzard conditions during boxing day. Even though I might have experienced a few more inches of snow in 96, it makes no difference to me. I rather have the 25 inches I saw in boxing day over a short period of time then the 30 inches of snow that fell over a two day period for 96. 96 was just a long drawn out steady snowfall for my area. Boxing day was an intense, action packed, wind driven few hours of snow. Also I was fortunate enough to experience the boxing day mega band, and snowfall rates far exceeded anything I have ever experienced.

I remember 96 and must say that boxing day is by far the best storm I have experienced. I agree that 96 had a greater impact for a larger area and therefore remains king. But when I judge a storm it is based on personal experience and what conditions/dynamics were present. Boxing day had everything for me that 96 did not. Winds far exceeded 96, snowfall rates were much greater, and overall I experienced real blizzard conditions during boxing day. Even though I might have experienced a few more inches of snow in 96, it makes no difference to me. I rather have the 25 inches I saw in boxing day over a short period of time then the 30 inches of snow that fell over a two day period for 96. 96 was just a long drawn out steady snowfall for my area. Boxing day was an intense, action packed, wind driven few hours of snow. Also I was fortunate enough to experience the boxing day mega band, and snowfall rates far exceeded anything I have ever experienced.

its the difference between what happened in your back yard and what happened over a bigger area.

I do take exception to the idea however that 96 was a long drawn out steady snowfall. Several stations reported 1-3 inch an hour rates in 95-96 between 1pm and 1am on Sunday. They would have kept reporting them too but the 700mb dry slot that shut things down for a little bit

I don't disagree that Boxing Day is probably #1 in terms of intensity for the greater NYC area, however we have to judge this system as whole. The last two winters were amazing. I am having trouble finding specific dates, but on at least two occasions recently, the DC area saw totals that rival if not beat what NYC saw for Boxing Day while NYC saw only minor impacts. I remember CT getting crushed last winter as well while I had a minor event IMBY. When ranking storms, it can't be relative to personal experiences.

snow_bands.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1265492931813

96 and 2003 were totally different animals compared to the Boxing Day event.. 96 and 2003 were (definitely 2003) if my memory serves me correctly were more or less over running events.. The storms themselves were not very strong.. There were VERY cold/strong highs to the north that created a gradient which obviously created the wind impact in 96 and 2003.. The winds were probably in the 25-40mph range in those events.. where as in the boxing day storm, inconjunction w/ the strong storm and the high pressure to the north caused extreme winds.. Also, the reason for the strong forcing/banding and prolific snow rates was also b/c of the strength of the storm, whereas in 96 and 03, there were copious amounts of snow but not the crazy banding experienced in the boxing day event..

96 and 2003 were totally different animals compared to the Boxing Day event.. 96 and 2003 were (definitely 2003) if my memory serves me correctly were more or less over running events.. The storms themselves were not very strong.. There were VERY cold/strong highs to the north that created a gradient which obviously created the wind impact in 96 and 2003.. The winds were probably in the 25-40mph range in those events.. where as in the boxing day storm, inconjunction w/ the strong storm and the high pressure to the north caused extreme winds.. Also, the reason for the strong forcing/banding and prolific snow rates was also b/c of the strength of the storm, whereas in 96 and 03, there were copious amounts of snow but not the crazy banding experienced in the boxing day event..

96 featured strong 700mb frontogenesis (the over running that started with single digit temps) followed by the banding from the actual surface low and associated mid level lows. Very few of our storms over the past years have featured any true over running, including boxing day,.

Some posters have a short memory. February 5-8 2010 was more intense for almost everyone south of the NYC area than the Boxing Day event. I get it, Boxing day was so special because of the last minute model flipping and the winds, but if you missed out on the one main mega band, it was just another MECS. The winds were a different story, one of the few times I can remember a Blizzard Warning verifying for this area.

Feb5_6_2010_NJ_snow.jpg

Some posters have a short memory. February 5-8 2010 was more intense for almost everyone south of the NYC area than the Boxing Day event. I get it, Boxing day was so special because of the last minute model flipping and the winds, but if you missed out on the one main mega band, it was just another MECS. The winds were a different story, one of the few times I can remember a Blizzard Warning verifying for this area.

Feb5_6_2010_NJ_snow.jpg

I will never forget this storm.. We all argued about this storm for days - about the gradient that was the mother of all gradients.. I was looking out my window, looking at radars all day hoping to see a flake.. Ya, I saw a few flakes, yet knowing that MT. Earthlight was getting 10"+ was upsetting.. lol..

No, but really- that was a fascinating storm.. I do remember that one model a few hours before the storm, maybe the NAM had NYC/LI getting into the action- but it proved to be totally wrong...

I will never forget this storm.. We all argued about this storm for days - about the gradient that was the mother of all gradients.. I was looking out my window, looking at radars all day hoping to see a flake.. Ya, I saw a few flakes, yet knowing that MT. Earthlight was getting 10"+ was upsetting.. lol..

No, but really- that was a fascinating storm.. I do remember that one model a few hours before the storm, maybe the NAM had NYC/LI getting into the action- but it proved to be totally wrong...

gefs and euro had some accumulation for city. Big fail by euro there.

In retrospect, the storm never had a chance to get more north than it did, the best height anomolies were east of greenland with that block, kiss of death. The pv/sub pv got trapped way too far to the south because the block wouldn't let it get into a good 50/50 position, and that was the ballgame.

I remember looking at the NAM over and over again run after run with amazment. The NAM sniffed the track out early and didn't budge one bit. Went to bed with a WSW for 4-8". I woke up to virga at 3AM and two hours later the WSW was canceled. I don't recall seeing a single flake, quite depressing.

I remember looking at the NAM over and over again run after run with amazment. The NAM sniffed the track out early and didn't budge one bit. Went to bed with a WSW for 4-8". I woke up to virga at 3AM and two hours later the WSW was canceled. I don't recall seeing a single flake, quite depressing.

and yet somehow Mt. Earthlight received 6 inches. Curious. Dont you two live like a few miles apart?

and yet somehow Mt. Earthlight received 6 inches. Curious. Dont you two live like a few miles apart?

Were a bit further apart than a few miles. Per google maps, it's ~ 35 miles from Pompton Plains the Scotch Plains, and he had the advantage of being further south than me with that event. I believe I-80 was about the cutoff in terms of who saw flakes and who didn't.

I don't think anybody north of Middlesex county got more than 4", although the gradient was NW/SE so people out in NW NJ like Hunterdon, got more than NYC even though they are further north. Anyway I only mentioned this storm because for many in the central and southern Mid Atlantic it topped 96. One thing about 96 was SE of the big cities from the Jersey shore and the Delmarva there was a mix and changeover. In fact most coastal locations did far better in the Feb 96 event. I believe Salisbury, MD got like 18" while getting well under that in the Jan 96 blizzard.

Archived