• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

No change in thinking from the above post on the next system. The areas that may see the best chance of a mix should be over far southern areas. There's a lot of dry air farther north that will probably eat up most of the precip... still could see a few flurries or some light stuff farther north though.

00z GFS would have the next interesting system around Dec 2-4th but that could change in future runs. Looks like continued cold in the long range.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow and sleet moving into southern portions of NE OK this morning. No change in thinking, far south areas of NE OK and NW AR will have the best chance of seeing light amounts of snow/sleet.

12z GFS still showing the next system around Dec 2nd-4th. A lot of different things can happen with this system or a system behind it. Lots of time between now and then though.

00z Euro Ensembles were still cold with no overall change to the setup in the long range. (Day 11-15)

Nice, it was just cold and dry here today. Kind of disappointed in the Chiefs, which isn't new, but they should have won today!

I looked at the 18z GFS and got kind of cheered up though. Cold air lurking around with an active storm track could mean a lot of fun the first week or two of December. It depends on how far south and east the cold air sinks but it's looking pretty good at this time...... I probably just jinxed it though.

Nice, it was just cold and dry here today. Kind of disappointed in the Chiefs, which isn't new, but they should have won today!

I looked at the 18z GFS and got kind of cheered up though. Cold air lurking around with an active storm track could mean a lot of fun the first week or two of December. It depends on how far south and east the cold air sinks but it's looking pretty good at this time...... I probably just jinxed it though.

Cant be no worst then me jinxing stuff most times lol! I really do think we have a good shot at a decent winter this season jomo....and no I didn't eat too many beans haha!!! Its just off and on very light sleet pellets now.

Best chance of snow or a mix today will be across NW Arkansas and extreme E OK, possibly moving into Southern MO but it shouldn't amount to much.

Thanksgiving still looks cool with temps in the 40's. 

Then it looks somewhat boring for awhile.

The models are shifting to more of a -PNA type look in the medium range (Day 7-10), which means a trough in the west with the coldest air dropping down into the west. Hopefully it will be far enough east that we end up on the cold side of the trough. Still a lot of time for these things to be sorted out though.

The next interesting bit of weather (meaning snow or ice chances) will probably come around Dec 5th (around 10 days) when the western trough moves in. We look to be on the far SE side of the trough, which is usually a good position for precip at some point. The cold frontal timing will change but all of the models have it roughly moving through the area by the morning of Dec 5th..... The 12z Euro has it past the area and in central Arkansas to SE MO with the freezing line roughly along I-44 and points NW.

The 12z Euro Ensembles in the Day 11-15 range starts to shift the blocking up near Alaska to the NW a bit, which is going to want to cause the SE ridge to have more influence and push a bit back to the NW as well. 

We'll see what happens. 

Doug Heady is doing his winter forecast tonight during the 10 PM newscast. I'll post what he says, or link to the forecast when he posts it online later tonight.

Doug Heady says:

Below Average Temps... Average Precip

A couple of ice storms

15-20" of snow (average is 17" here) (if we don't get the ice storms, snow will be higher)

About 15 events....... 5 bigger storms...

Matches what I told everybody for NE OK and NWA this year. I hope it works out. Will be fun.

Thanks JoMo! I wasn't able to catch his forecast last night. I hope the ice is minimal, but it seems to have that sort of set-up. If the storm system yesterday had been further north we would have had problems.

I'll take ice or snow. Just not a lot of ice if it has to be ice. 

The 00z Euro caused quite a scare as it went warmer in the extended, but the 12z Euro put everything back on track as far as an Arctic cold front coming in around Dec 5th or so. All that energy dropping into the west is going to be a headache for the models to sort out.

Depending on how far south the front makes it, and depending on what happens after that, it could be a rainy/icy/snowy setup for us after the frontal passage. People have been mentioning 2007, which had a few big ice storms. 

Whoops!

...NO SEVERE WEATHER OCCURRING IN THE JOPLIN AREA...
WHILE CONDUCTING A ROUTINE WEEKLY TEST OF THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO
TRANSMITTER IN JOPLIN...THE TEST SIGNAL WAS INADVERTENTLY SENT
AS A TORNADO WARNING. THIS SIGNAL MAY HAVE ALSO BEEN PICKED UP AND
DISSEMINATED BY RADIO OR TELEVISION STATIONS. WE WANT TO EMPHASIZE
THAT THERE IS NO SEVERE WEATHER OCCURRING ANYWHERE ACROSS
SOUTHEASTERN KANSAS OR SOUTHWESTERN MISSOURI. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE
ERROR.

And yes, the cold air is coming, regardless of the model you look at. The models are still having issues with the timing though and precip is up in the air as well. 

00z/12z Euro seems to be flip-flopping a bit from one run to the next. The cold is definitely on its way though. It would be nice to have some snow to go along with it.

The models will probably play catch-up to just how cold this airmass is, so as we get closer, they will probably get colder and colder.

It's brilliantly sunny and only the upper 30's here. This kind of weather makes me feel alive. This recent cold snap has been great. Real-deal Arctic air is getting involved early this year. A local meteorologist whom I respect (Mike Collier) said a couple of days ago that we will need to wait and see, but the upcoming pattern could produce a December similar to 2000 in these parts. Who knows, but there are positive signs.

Happy Turkey Day all. David Koeller from the FOX affiliate in Springfield put out his winter forecast and is calling for below average temps and above average precip, including above average snow. He said that he believes it could be average to slightly below average snow IF we get more ice than expected (which he seemed to indicate was possible). Seems like everyone is basically thinking about the same thing for the winter. We shall see if it verifies.

00z Euro was a run that was somewhat similar to the 00z GFS. It does some different stuff up north near the Canadian border but the entire region gets frozen precip at roughly the same time as the 00z GFS has it. This is a positive step in the right direction.

Here is a snippet from the morning Tulsa discussion.

UNSEASONABLY WARM TEMPS MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY WILL BE A MEMORY BY LATE NEXT
WEEK AS THIS ARCTIC AIR SPREADS INTO THE SRN PLAINS/OZARKS.
ANOTHER ROUND OF WINTRY PRECIP IS A STRONG POSSIBILITY AS THIS
ARCTIC AIR SPREADS SOUTHWARD UNDER SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT. ANY
WINTRY PRECIP APPEARS TO OCCUR JUST OUTSIDE OF THIS FORECAST
PERIOD SO HAVE CARRIED ALL LIQUID BEGINNING TUESDAY NIGHT AND
CONTINUING THROUGH THURSDAY.

And so the model watching begins every run... ha ha!

Archived