joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The above is the Futurecast function on the www.4029tv.com website. I emailed the met and asked about the accuracy of this. Here is her response:

Our futercast model is usually pretty accurate. We make sure it initializes well first to see if has a good handle on precip. And it preformed pretty well with our last snow. It's also following along with where we think the heaviest snow will fall.

-Brittany

What is their futurecast based off of? Looks a little unreasonable for our area. Don't get me wrong, I hope it plays out like that, but I just have a hard time seeing it happen. Great product nonetheless. Thanks for sharing Waterboy. Hope to see how it does overall.

Unfortunately I don't really know what data it runs off of. I thought it seemed a bit unreasonable as well which is why I emailed her. She didn't really go into a lot of detail as you saw from her response I posted above.

EDIT: At 1:00 the radar had updated and now the heavier snow is just south of FSM. That makes more sense based on the models so far.

For once, I'm rooting for the N of 44 crowd that I always fear stealing our snow. Out of the entire winter, there's about a 60-hour period centered on Christmas Day where I can't really be in town. Three years ago I missed the all-time record snowfall for OKC and the only blizzard warning for my county in the past decade during that window. Now the potential for the largest dump since that event looks pretty high for OUN. You just can't make this stuff up. So, go JoMo/NwWhiteout and crew -- last minute NW shift FTW! :lol:

For once, I'm rooting for the N of 44 crowd that I always fear stealing our snow. Out of the entire winter, there's about a 60-hour period centered on Christmas Day where I can't really be in town. Three years ago I missed the all-time record snowfall for OKC and the only blizzard warning for my county in the past decade during that window. Now the potential for the largest dump since that event looks pretty high for OUN. You just can't make this stuff up. So, go JoMo/NwWhiteout and crew -- last minute NW shift FTW! :lol:

lol I like your attitude! I too wouldn't mind a nice NW jog from it but I try not to sound greedy for everyone else, besides that it is Christmas and Id like for us all to see a lil something from this. I just wanna see it snow, don't care if it accumulates or not really at this point

yeah I just saw that I'm under a winter weather advisory. The winter storm warning is south of Cassville though.

Same here, they are saying 1-4". I don't buy into it after viewing some of the models, dry air and how sharply it looks to cutoff from south to north. But its springfield and they always seem high and conservative or bust usually up this way lol. I think I rely on you guys more then I do them haha

Ugh... I hate to be missing this:

IN ADDITION...ALL GUIDANCE POINTS TOWARD THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN AREA OF

MUCAPE OVER THIS REGION...WHICH WOULD IMPLY THE POTENTIAL FOR

CONVECTIVE SNOWS. THIS WOULD SUPPORT AREAS OF VERY HEAVY

SNOWFALL...PERHAPS EVEN THUNDERSNOW IN A FEW SPOTS. WHILE THIS WOULD

BE VERY LOCALIZED IN NATURE...3-4"/HOUR SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WOULD HAVE

A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT.

Ugh... I hate to be missing this:

IN ADDITION...ALL GUIDANCE POINTS TOWARD THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN AREA OF

MUCAPE OVER THIS REGION...WHICH WOULD IMPLY THE POTENTIAL FOR

CONVECTIVE SNOWS. THIS WOULD SUPPORT AREAS OF VERY HEAVY

SNOWFALL...PERHAPS EVEN THUNDERSNOW IN A FEW SPOTS. WHILE THIS WOULD

BE VERY LOCALIZED IN NATURE...3-4"/HOUR SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WOULD HAVE

A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT.

That was a pretty detailed writeup by NWS Springfield. I'm surprised they are holding steady on this. Sure doesn't look like it's in your favor that far north. I feel like I'm right on the line. They make it sound like I'm in great shape. Bizarre...

Not sure I've seen SGF bust as bad as this could possibly be so hopefully these 18z runs are screwed up.

Idk something don't look right to me on some of these maps and I don't even really know how to read them, just that fast and sharp of a cutoff? I guess you just really have to understand the dynamics of these things which I don't, hopefully its just a fluke run ....we will see

Looks like the 18z NAM finally realized it's going south. What a joke of a model.

It was a pretty easy call on this one, the NAM just never made sense with such an outlier northern ejection...as well as a farther N deformation band given the amount of moist convection expected along the elongated warm front. NAM doesn't do too hot in this type of cyclogenesis scenario.

Archived