amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 3-4 Upper Midwest Snow Event

digitizedmind75

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have the potential for 3-5 inches; you're closer to the band of solid snow.

Looks like the 12Z GFS lays the 0°C line right through Milwaukee. With the GFS and GEM staying further south, parts of southern Wisconsin could get in on this as well! I expect more model shuffling in both directions in the next 36 hours though.

Looks like the 12Z GFS lays the 0°C line right through Milwaukee. With the GFS and GEM staying further south, parts of southern Wisconsin could get in on this as well! I expect more model shuffling in both directions in the next 36 hours though.

Like Hawkeye, I'm thinking best case scenario is an inch or two on the backside, which I'll gladly take.

Looking more and more likely for at least a few inches here on the backside, hopefully more. Of course, I've only had time to look at the 850 maps so there could be some issues at the other levels.

Yeah, you could see more like 3 inches or so. The further north or west you go from the city, the better off you'll be.

when have we ever got a few inches of back-end snow.. Nothing to see here.

"Sigh"...Isn't this the exact thing that happened last year in the fall and spring? Everything went north or south...Little lows riding the northern Jet and lows riding the southern jet, with Milwaukee, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, etc....in between with nothing....This must be common for La Nina's. Don't worry, I'm yawning over here on this side of the lake too.

"Sigh"...Isn't this the exact thing that happened last year in the fall and spring? Everything went north or south...Little lows riding the northern Jet and lows riding the southern jet, with Milwaukee, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, etc....in between with nothing....This must be common for La Nina's. Don't worry, I'm yawning over here on this side of the lake too.

Right now it seems like this month is getting off to a familiar start. Time will tell if it holds.

That certainly appears to be the trend so far this year, but I suppose in the past the opposite has been true occasionally: see "2007-08".

2007-2008 winter was a little slow to get going. I remember some areas in NE Waukesha county had 115"+ of snow! That county is higher in elevation, which helps with orographic lift during lake effect snow - especially over the Kettle Moraine.

2007-2008 winter was a little slow to get going. I remember some areas in NE Waukesha county had 115"+ of snow! That county is higher in elevation, which helps with orographic lift during lake effect snow - especially over the Kettle Moraine.

Then you also had West Allis, which recorded over 120 inches. I think there were probably some measuring discrepancies, especially with so many 4-12" snow events, some of which were compounded by blowing and drifting.

wait and see mode indeed, hard to see how anything gets pulled this far north after the front passes but I can hope

Hope is all you/we got. :) But really, the SE ridge does look to be a player. Let's see if it can slow the front enough to get a disturbance to round the bend.

Hope is all you/we got. :) But really, the SE ridge does look to be a player. Let's see if it can slow the front enough to get a disturbance to round the bend.

Agree. The SE ridge it's clearly playing a role or we wouldn't even be having this discussion, return flow on the NAM looks pretty good, if only we can get something besides the long range NAM to get more aggressive with the idea.

Archived