Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Euro 12/12/10

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how you promets handle crappy maps like the one above. You literally can't even see the geography in that graphic. It took me forever to *sort of* figure out Asia was at the bottom. Drives me crazy. Numerous overlapping lines. Numbers printed ON TOP OF other numbers and contour lines. This is probably why forecasts bust sometimes -- the model maps are illegible.

Not sure how you promets handle crappy maps like the one above. You literally can't even see the geography in that graphic. It took me forever to *sort of* figure out Asia was at the bottom. Drives me crazy. Numerous overlapping lines. Numbers printed ON TOP OF other numbers and contour lines. This is probably why forecasts bust sometimes -- the model maps are illegible.

well thats KMA for ya lol but its all i could find

Yeah, that hurts my neck to look at. It's focused on Korea, since it's the KMA model.

I've always had this question and I guess I've never seen it answered fully...is it pure coincidence that two jet-streams phase or does one disturbance notice a weakness, or something along those lines, that causes the two to phase. If it was pure coincidence you'd think you would see it less, or very un-commonly as the conditions would need to be pretty perfect for such an event.

anyone....bueller?

Guest someguy

I've always had this question and I guess I've never seen it answered fully...is it pure coincidence that two jet-streams phase or does one disturbance notice a weakness, or something along those lines, that causes the two to phase. If it was pure coincidence you'd think you would see it less, or very un-commonly as the conditions would need to be pretty perfect for such an event.

post-1837-0-02701400-1292212873.jpg

there are MANY things that can .... in one 1 situation can cause the two streams ( occcasional 3 streams) to phase... yet in another sitatuion that seem to be similar ... they dont... phase at all or NOT in the same way

IMO the driving force is the overall pattern but even witho that the jet strekas are important in determing the phase

all last week ..really from DEC 4 12Z model runs-- i was stead fast against the idea of the Just ending DEC 11-12 Midwest Low-- coming east and being a winter storm threat for the NE and said so on the radio show.

as I said there and over SV and on FB page... the short wave in the STJ coming into the West in such a way that the trough AXIS became NEUTRAL Tillted by the time it reached 100w Long and NEGTIAVELY title by the time is reached the Mississippi river. To be sure when THAT happens... the s/w in the STJ goes negative too... it is the Kiss of death for the NE winter storm angle thus the phase .... but to answer your question ... that meant that any phase would ocur early

These two maps show HOW the phasing and WHY the phasing occurred.

on 0Z DEC 11 we can see the s/w in the STJ and the JET STREAM upstream

on the second map the RIDGE is increasing and the KET streak max winds are also increasing

this pulls down the the PJ m southeast and enhances the phase

post-1837-0-67899200-1292212894.gif

post-1837-0-71937700-1292213013.gif

post-1837-0-02701400-1292212873.jpg

there are MANY things that can .... in one 1 situation can cause the two streams ( occcasional 3 streams) to phase... yet in another sitatuion that seem to be similar ... they dont... phase at all or NOT in the same way

IMO the driving force is the overall pattern but even witho that the jet strekas are important in determing the phase

all last week ..really from DEC 4 12Z model runs-- i was stead fast against the idea of the Just ending DEC 11-12 Midwest Low-- coming east and being a winter storm threat for the NE and said so on the radio show.

as I said there and over SV and on FB page... the short wave in the STJ coming into the West in such a way that the trough AXIS became NEUTRAL Tillted by the time it reached 100w Long and NEGTIAVELY title by the time is reached the Mississippi river. To be sure when THAT happens... the s/w in the STJ goes negative too... it is the Kiss of death for the NE winter storm angle thus the phase .... but to answer your question ... that meant that any phase would ocur early

These two maps show HOW the phasing and WHY the phasing occurred.

on 0Z DEC 11 we can see the s/w in the STJ and the JET STREAM upstream

on the second map the RIDGE is increasing and the KET streak max winds are also increasing

this pulls down the the PJ m southeast and enhances the phase

post-1837-0-67899200-1292212894.gif

post-1837-0-71937700-1292213013.gif

thanks for that DT...so there really are situations that phasing appears more likely to occur than others...interesting

Archived