Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Medium Range Discussion Winter 2011-12

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+EPO and this strong Nina forcing (http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/carl/weather/timeLon/u.anom.30.5S-5N.png) should allow the Eastern US to average out warm to very warm overall through Dec 20, at least. There doesn't look to be much help from the tropics until New Year's (using the Roundy forecast, not the Euro weeklies - the weeklies are even worse).

We are fully dependant on the EPO, right now, to provide us from some artic air. As a matter of fact, the "4 big ones", areal coverage wise, since 1950 that brought the coldest temps to the CONUS had very +NAO and a very -EPO... yes, it's a very supressive pattern, but at least areas from the mid Atlantic could benefit from it in the absence of a -NAO. I didn't include the Jan 1985 artic express, since it had slightly less CONUS converage because it was east biased (thanks to a west based -NAO).

500mb mean heights

caQ6c.gif

500mb anomalies

Ip5Gz.gif

Surface temps

E8azu.gif

This pattern is known as the McFarland signature, and though I'm not predicting one this winter, it's possibly our best chance for Artic cold pouring down for late this month and most of January. The good news is that we are in a long term -EPO period, and though we hadn't had any significant -EPO episode so far, ridging is closer to the west coast than what we would expect from the Pacific pattern, and it is refusing to retrograde much.

epnp.timeseries.gif

Two questions: 1. Where is the potential -EPO coming from? Himalayan MT next time the MJO gets into the IO? 2. Isn't the EP/NP pattern the opposite of the EPO?

5G17B.gif

1. Dunno, I just think it's a more feasible to get a -EPO than a -AO/-NAO for the next 45 days.

2. You're right, I assumed they were directly correlated, but it's the other way around. Which would make sense in a -PDO phase. Strike that.facepalm.png

We are fully dependant on the EPO, right now, to provide us from some artic air. As a matter of fact, the "4 big ones", areal coverage wise, since 1950 that brought the coldest temps to the CONUS had very +NAO and a very -EPO... yes, it's a very supressive pattern, but at least areas from the mid Atlantic could benefit from it in the absence of a -NAO. I didn't include the Jan 1985 artic express, since it had slightly less CONUS converage because it was east biased (thanks to a west based -NAO).

500mb mean heights

500mb anomalies

Surface temps

This pattern is known as the McFarland signature, and though I'm not predicting one this winter, it's possibly our best chance for Artic cold pouring down for late this month and most of January. The good news is that we are in a long term -EPO period, and though we hadn't had any significant -EPO episode so far, ridging is closer to the west coast than what we would expect from the Pacific pattern, and it is refusing to retrograde much.

Was that what happened in February 1899 also?

Was that what happened in February 1899 also?

No upper air data from back then, but reanalysis suggests a well coordinated mod. -EPO and -NAO evolving into a -WPO, +PNA and very - west NAO...almost like shepherd dogs directing the massive cold to the CONUS sheep shed.

RZImg.gif

MXegP.gif

dq6BI.gif

laCBo.gif

<p>

No upper air data from back then, but reanalysis suggests a well coordinated mod. -EPO and -NAO evolving into a -WPO, +PNA and very - west NAO...almost like shepherd dogs directing the massive cold to the CONUS sheep shed.

RZImg.gif

MXegP.gif

dq6BI.gif

laCBo.gif

What does the "WPO" stand for and at what phase of it favors East Coast cold? Unless it was a typo for "EPO?" Thanks.

The 12/8/2011 18z run of the GFS suggests that the 11-15-day period (12/19-23) could be colder than normal in the East. However, the operational GFS is not supported by the 18z GFS ensembles.

Which is more likely to be correct?

At this point, given everything that has been noted in this and the AO thread, I believe the ensembles have a better idea.

Below is a chart that compares the Operational GFS with the results of:

1. The 18z GFS ensembles (850 mb temperature anomalies)

2. Composite 500 mb height anomalies based on an AO in the +1 to +2.5 range; PNA in the -0.5 to +0.5 range, ENSO R3.4 anomalies in the -1.50 to -0.75 range, for the 12/15-25 timeframe (1950-2010)

3. Composite 850 mb temperature anomalies based on an AO in the +1 to +2.5 range; PNA in the -0.5 to +0.5 range, ENSO R3.4 anomalies in the -1.50 to -0.75 range, for the 12/15-25 timeframe (1950-2010)

4. The NAEFS (12/16-22 range -- closest period in question)

1208201118z11to15dayforecast.jpg

Unfortunately, it appears that the operational GFS is alone in its extended range forecast. While things could still change, my guess at this point in time is to favor an idea based on the GFS ensembles. There is a continuing risk that the area of warmth could be more expansive than shown on the GFS ensembles, especially if the EPO goes positive.

Blocking is a strong word...some ridging in a probably neutralish AO...good signals anyway, though the PV near the HB it's not a good location for the East Coast, but with a good Pacific it's perfect for the W 2/3.

Which is exactly why I posted as I did...;)

Archived