• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18 Years Ago Today

40/70 Benchmark

i was in raynham mass for the event, and if i knew better i would have hung myself that morning. like 2 inches of snow ...maybe. went sledding at diamond hill ri. over 2 feet at top of hill. awesome gradient from E prov to cumberland ri AOA 400'. the winds in that storm were awesome even thou it was a pouring rain storm for me. i wish i stayed at my grandparent where they got like 17 inches of snow in wakefield,ma. i wish i had like a crazy uncle that lived out in the boonies of interior mass so i could have crashed there

Yeah they must have come in with like 20-22" by 12z Saturday morning.

Yeah I couldn't believe it. Incredible.

I had a coworker tell me about the "snow chase" he went on Friday evening when he got out of work. He said he went just north of Billerica on Rt3 and when he got near Tyngsboro, it flashed to "wet" dry snow that was blowing around. He mentioned literally going from wet pavement to several inches of snow in like two miles. The RASN line sat near the MA/NH border for a while before collapsing SE.

Yeah I couldn't believe it. Incredible.

I had a coworker tell me about the "snow chase" he went on Friday evening when he got out of work. He said he went just north of Billerica on Rt3 and when he got near Tyngsboro, it flashed to "wet" dry snow that was blowing around. He mentioned literally going from wet pavement to several inches of snow in like two miles. The RASN line sat near the MA/NH border for a while before collapsing SE.

I went on a snow chase with my BIL, we went to the top of Dresser Hill Road in Charlton, its over 900 el, the snow drfifts on the road were so deep we got his Toyota 4x4 stuck, luckily some guy came buy with a tricked out truck and had a couple shovels, the three of us had to dig the truck out to get out of there.

They had to plow that road constantly over the next few days along with some other roads on high ridges due to the drifting that went on continiously.

You must have had lke 40", Will....unreal.

Yeah probably with 6 hour clearing, definitely would have hit 40. Might have come close anyway with just 24 hour clearing given that the storm lasted about 42 hours. I was 11 years old so I just stuck a yardstick in the ground at the end of it, lol. I didn't know about clearing after 6 or 24 hours.

Holden is pretty darn close to where that 42" was reported in Princeton anyway.

My own personal recollections... I'm about Will's age, was in 6th grade when it happened. Lived in Ridgefield, Ct. at the time at ~ 550 ft. elevation.

My family and I used to share a condo with another family in Mt. Snow, Vt... we had a trip planned that weekend... school was canceled that Friday... I woke up to around 4" of wet snow... towards mid morning it turned to huge parachutes and then flipped to rain.

On the drive up, I expected it to change to snow further north - it didn't... of course, we were riding along I-84 then I-91 so kind of riding the valleys. It poured all the way.

We turned off 91in Greenfield... it was still raining... from there, we used to take a winding, rural road into Vt... as we ascended into the tiny town of Colrain it flipped to heavy snow... as we climbed further into Vt. it became more powdery and was blowing around... probably 12" when we got there.

May have added another 2-3" that night but the next day was just cloudy and windy. I went up with friends so couldn't geek out on the weather but I had no clue the storm was raging all day Saturday and that the precip extent had been tugged south. Got a call from our town late that night saying there was 12-18" but it was very elevation dependent. On the drive back noticed a huge runup in snow on that rural road in N Mass but then it dropped off dramatically with the loss of elevation.

Had about a foot of cement on the deck when I got back. My weather friend says it was the craziest storm he had ever experienced with several changeover cycles... would LOVE to see a radar loop from that bad boy...

Archived