joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Halloween Nor'Easter: 10/29-30

Logan11

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there also, but I was a history major and in a school with like 15k students we never would have met. :) I lived off campus and remember a lot of snow still on the ground when I got to class on Monday morning. Then I took a drive out to this area that I later moved to....and they had a good 12-18 inches around here.

I was in my 2nd year at SUNYA in '87....I remember Mike Landin "joking" a bit as the NGM came in ...hinting at the possibility of a bit of a mix, the evening before the October surprise, about if anyone was going to put a "1" in the snowfall box of our forecast contest......if I recall one or two folks did....everyone else put in the almost obligatory "0"...... 6+" later, we realized just how poor our "go to " model was!! (vs. the LFM) Good memories!

The 0Z NAM just ticked back east a little .... though still looks like 1" at KALB. Very rapid drop off as you head up the Northway.... Looks like a 12/26/10 type situation verbatim. But that's one model....

This might give you some idea to how far west the models have backed this system up. the nam is the most extreme example.

The 0Z NAM just ticked back east a little .... though still looks like 1" at KALB. Very rapid drop off as you head up the Northway.... Looks like a 12/26/10 type situation verbatim. But that's one model....

Yep... the tick eastward is not totally unexpected given the concerns with all the convection going on down in Florida. I posted a graphic on the NYC thread about how latent heat release in this Florida Thunderstorm cluster will likely cause a bit of weakening of the southern stream shortwave which in turn produces a weaker phase. Its not a huge change, but something that is noticeable.

11jud50.gif

I was in my 2nd year at SUNYA in '87....I remember Mike Landin "joking" a bit as the NGM came in ...hinting at the possibility of a bit of a mix, the evening before the October surprise, about if anyone was going to put a "1" in the snowfall box of our forecast contest......if I recall one or two folks did....everyone else put in the almost obligatory "0"...... 6+" later, we realized just how poor our "go to " model was!! (vs. the LFM) Good memories!

Oh Wow LEK, I was so suprised to hear that you went to UAlbany! I've been reading your thoughts and posts for years and to think you graduated from the same college! Never knew that! Cool!

Meanwhile, can't believe we're at 4 - 8 inches. I'm really considering running out and getting some "non power dependent" food to munch on. This house never is stocked properly :/.

Fortunately our leaves are history here in Knox so the 6-8 inches etc. won't cause any problems.... 29 here now...

Oh Wow LEK, I was so suprised to hear that you went to UAlbany! I've been reading your thoughts and posts for years and to think you graduated from the same college! Never knew that! Cool!

Meanwhile, can't believe we're at 4 - 8 inches. I'm really considering running out and getting some "non power dependent" food to munch on. This house never is stocked properly :/.

My Alma Mater as well! Was he teaching back then already or still a grad student? He taught our forecasting and severe weather classes, and I believe we were the last class to graduate before he began working only part time (semi-adjunct/semi-retired). He really was an awesome professor and a great forecaster.

ALSO.... While I don't remember the '87 snowstorm (I was 1 year old), my parents sure do! We were living in the higher elevations of eastern Dutchess county at the time, and my parents have a couple old pictures to prove we got a solid 10" or so. We were without power for a week!

This might give you some idea to how far west the models have backed this system up. the nam is the most extreme example.

Wow, that is pretty extreme. As many have already mentioned, just like the Boxing Day storm!

My Alma Mater as well! Was he teaching back then already or still a grad student? He taught our forecasting and severe weather classes, and I believe we were the last class to graduate before he began working only part time (semi-adjunct/semi-retired). He really was an awesome professor and a great forecaster.

ALSO.... While I don't remember the '87 snowstorm (I was 1 year old), my parents sure do! We were living in the higher elevations of eastern Dutchess county at the time, and my parents have a couple old pictures to prove we got a solid 10" or so. We were without power for a week!

Wow, that is pretty extreme. As many have already mentioned, just like the Boxing Day storm!

We were in the first graduating class that didn't have Landin, so you must have been a SR when I was a JR, LOL.

He was already teaching some intro synoptic forecasting classes. He had no gray hair back then! ;) Great weather enthusiast as well.

My favorite of all was Lance....his confident demeaner just demanded respect, without any trace of arrogance, which was encountered at times with others.

CNY will wait our turn....leaden skies...looks like snow....but to no avail.....so I guess I'll go give my lawn another cut!! :arrowhead:

He was already teaching some intro synoptic forecasting classes. He had no gray hair back then! ;) Great weather enthusiast as well.

My favorite of all was Lance....his confident demeaner just demanded respect, without any trace of arrogance, which was encountered at times with others.

CNY will wait our turn....leaden skies...looks like snow....but to no avail.....so I guess I'll go give my lawn another cut!! :arrowhead:

He's a body of knowledge that in one class can supersaturate your brain to maximum capacity.

And not just in meteorology!!

True!

Still dry here in Albany. Waiting on some snowfalkes to fall here. That dry slot on vw is incredible. Wondering if CD area will end up missing out on the snow potential here. I ran to target last minute to get some food I can eat without having power to cook anything. Hope it doesn't go to waste or I'll end up eating the whole big thing of Nutella again for no reason after Irene spared our area of loosing power, LOL. I know the BL was too dry earlier, however wondering how long it will be before it mixes out. Seems that some snow may be approaching and falling within the hour.

The guys at NWS in their AFD seem to think we're still in the cards for a few inches here. Can't believe how fast trees are coming down and consquently loosing power out in NJ/CT/NYC allready.

History in the making. I hate going to work during these types of events. I just wanna stalk the forums all day and night :)

I didn't think Landin was that old...A lot of my old prof's at SUNYA won't retire until they are dragged out it seems. One guy is 82 and still teaching and several in their later 60's to 70's now. There is a website called Rate your Professor (or something like that) and I browsed it one day and found lots of "interesting" reviews on there.

Oh it just started snowing here ... -SN and 33F.

We were in the first graduating class that didn't have Landin, so you must have been a SR when I was a JR, LOL.

Lance was great too! He was my advisor... inspiring and challenging but always fun.

Yea... I wonder how many times we have gotten 2 accumulating snowfall events in October. I imagine that would be a very short list!

I would imagine it would be a very short list, considering most days in Oct have never received measurable snowfall!

http://cstar.cestm.albany.edu:7773/Data/albrefoct.txt

I'm also wondering why Albany NWS didn't release a Record Event Report for the record 1.6" on the 27th. Someone's slackin at the wheel.

How much snow you up to now Phil?

Shame that band south of Albany didn't come 20-30 miles further north. Only a couples inches here. Berkshires getting nailed!

Very similar to the boxing day storm last year.. just this time albany gets screwed even more. Someone in the Berkshires around Peru or Savoy will probably end up with 3' from this storm and over 40" for the week.

3.5 inches here and still a nice snowfall...but by now it's clear it will never be heavy this far northwest. Sure can't complain for October 29th!

29.3 now......

Very similar to the boxing day storm last year.. just this time albany gets screwed even more. Someone in the Berkshires around Peru or Savoy will probably end up with 3' from this storm and over 40" for the week.

i spent the afternoon raking leaves ......and get a load of this....it clouded over while i was raking! :thumbsup:

i spent the afternoon raking leaves ......and get a load of this....it clouded over while i was raking! :thumbsup:

Well, I'm as happy as hell for the NE folks, and it won't be long, and we'll do this all over again, waiting for the next model run, trying to determine, cutter, hugger, or BM type tracks....and eventually, we all win as some point! (of course, we back here in the GL region have "old reliable" LES to satiate our snow hunger!! :arrowhead:

Archived