joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Halloween Nor'Easter: 10/29-30

Logan11

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is definitely a huge gulf climo-wise between places like KALB and the hill towns with October snowfalls. I think KALB has only had two >1" October snowfalls in recorded history. I have had three here just since I first set foot on this property in 2004. Of course 10/4/87 is the record at KALB and probably unassailable.

Accumulating snowfall (amounts) will be heavily dependent on elevation circa 1k and points up will do well excluding Adirondacks as they may be too far removed from best lift and moisture.

There is definitely a huge gulf climo-wise between places like KALB and the hill towns with October snowfalls. I think KALB has only had two >1" October snowfalls in recorded history. I have had three here just since I first set foot on this property in 2004. Of course 10/4/87 is the record at KALB and probably unassailable.

Very true post good points all around Logan.

or some reason or another these early season snows that do accumulate (Oct ones) seem to be almost exclusive to the CD, especially the high terrain East & West of it.

Hey new to the Albany area, just moved here from the snow belt of Wayne county, just a little east of Rochester. I now live in Westerlo. So far I love it here. Anyway's what kind of winter can I expect here in the hill towns ? I have heard all kinds of things so far. I know I won't see much LES which I will miss, but people are saying it snows more up here than in Albany. Am I gonna need tire chains lol? Or is 4WD good enough ?

The Hill Towns are like an eastward extension of Central NY. ..obviously not that kind of LES, but an interior climate in winter wx events usually. Immediate ALB is more like an inland extension of the Coastal Plain sometimes. Let's see how that works out on Thursday.

I exaggerate a bit, but seriously somewhere between the Hudson River and the Hill Towns the two climate zones clash.

Yeah not much LES makes it to Westerlo...more gets to us here in the northwest end of the Hill Towns area. Nothing to compare to Wayne County, but I probably get 18" a season that can be attributed to Lake Ontario, doled out in numerous small does of 1 to 3 inches generally. My record from a purely lake event is about 4.5 inches.

coasta;

Albany snows are disappointing compared to what I was used to from Wayne Co. (walworth). I'm very close to KALB though. Elevation will help you, last few years have seen a number of elevation dependent snows.

The Hill Towns are like an eastward extension of Central NY. ..obviously not that kind of LES, but an interior climate in winter wx events usually. Immediate ALB is more like an inland extension of the Coastal Plain sometimes. Let's see how that works out on Thursday.

I exaggerate a bit, but seriously somewhere between the Hudson River and the Hill Towns the two climate zones clash.

Yeah not much LES makes it to Westerlo...more gets to us here in the northwest end of the Hill Towns area. Nothing to compare to Wayne County, but I probably get 18" a season that can be attributed to Lake Ontario, doled out in numerous small does of 1 to 3 inches generally. My record from a purely lake event is about 4.5 inches.

coasta;

That's kinda what I figured. I'm from Marion to peteo from Walworth. Well hopefully last years trend will continue this year and we get some snow. I have noticed the temps run a few degrees cooler in Westerlo usually, compared to the valley. Thanks

36 and steady rain has resumed here. It has been stuck on exactly 36 for a few hours. This afternoon as 850 temps crash to -3C and lower maybe we can it to flip to snow at this elevation. Let's have some obs from Upstate people as they see their first flakes today.

37° and rain here in Westmoreland/Rome area.

A coating on the ground in Barnes Corners

I have a place down in the HV near Catskill...so I take the "short cut" south through Berne, Westerlo to Greenville, etc. regularly. The part of Westerlo you live in will be a factor.... I find that the northern and western parts of the town are a real hill towns climate, whereas if you are just barely into the town bordering Coeymans or Greenville then it's less beneficial. Upper Westerlo like along county route 1 where it meets 85 always seems to be a very snowy area and you climb to 1700 feet elevation on cr-1 right around the Berne line.

In the winter I actually average about 5 degrees colder than KALB out here. The Berne people have told me they do also. It is a double effect of 1k+ feet of elevation which should buy you three degrees according to lore + the fact that the HV downslopes badly and we don't.

Of course this is all dependent on the airmass, but just as a generalization....

That's kinda what I figured. I'm from Marion to peteo from Walworth. Well hopefully last years trend will continue this year and we get some snow. I have noticed the temps run a few degrees cooler in Westerlo usually, compared to the valley. Thanks

One of my students mom's just emailed me and said it was snowing at Helderberg Lake up on the mountain. She is at about 1350'. I'm pretty sure that I saw some white patches on the mountain the last time the clouds lifted as the precip lightened. Rain and 38F here at Voorheesville High School (392').

According to the 12Z NAM the 850 0C line would be just about over us around now. By 2 PM it's around -2C and then it crashes..... Bottoms at -8C early tomorrow which isn't bad for October. No flakes yet at 1K feet.

One of my students mom's just emailed me and said it was snowing at Helderberg Lake up on the mountain. She is at about 1350'. I'm pretty sure that I saw some white patches on the mountain the last time the clouds lifted as the precip lightened. Rain and 38F here at Voorheesville High School (392').

I definitely believe that. They should get a couple inches up there. Wish I had the time to take a drive up there this evening.

You don't need much time.... I learned the route when I went to U. Albany in the late 80's/early 90's. Just head out route 20 and take a left at Stewarts onto 146 toward Altamont and then optimally get onto 156 near the Stewarts in Altamont and then up the escarpment to Knox. :) 15-20 mins drive and you go into the hill climate.

I first did that drive after the infamous 10/4/1987 snowstorm and it was an awesome sight.

I definitely believe that. They should get a couple inches up there. Wish I had the time to take a drive up there this evening.

I'm planning on making my kids up there tonight...family tradition for the first flakes :thumbsup:

You don't need much time.... I learned the route when I went to U. Albany in the late 80's/early 90's. Just head out route 20 and take a left at Stewarts onto 146 toward Altamont and then optimally get onto 156 near the Stewarts in Altamont and then up the escarpment to Knox. :) 15-20 mins drive and you go into the hill climate.

I first did that drive after the infamous 10/4/1987 snowstorm and it was an awesome sight.

Problem is traffic on New Karner Rd / 155. At 5-5:30 it can take 15 minutes just for me to get from Central Ave to Western Ave. Easily a 40 min drive that time of day. Add in hungry and cranky kids, it wouldn't be pleasant. We should switch over even down here in the valley. Even if it doesn't accumulate...it will be a welcome sight.

I have a place down in the HV near Catskill...so I take the "short cut" south through Berne, Westerlo to Greenville, etc. regularly. The part of Westerlo you live in will be a factor.... I find that the northern and western parts of the town are a real hill towns climate, whereas if you are just barely into the town bordering Coeymans or Greenville then it's less beneficial. Upper Westerlo like along county route 1 where it meets 85 always seems to be a very snowy area and you climb to 1700 feet elevation on cr-1 right around the Berne line.

In the winter I actually average about 5 degrees colder than KALB out here. The Berne people have told me they do also. It is a double effect of 1k+ feet of elevation which should buy you three degrees according to lore + the fact that the HV downslopes badly and we don't.

Of course this is all dependent on the airmass, but just as a generalization....

Thanks. I live on 401 south of Westerlo town, close to Basic creek reservoir. My elevation is roughly 1100 to 1200 foot. And by the way it's snowing now. Hit the turn over on 32 south at roughly 900 ft just before Westerlo.

Archived