Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The PHL/NYC Medium Range Thread - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hr 156 has a central Va accumlating snowfall...other then some snow showers and flurries....this is the threat i think holds some intrest

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_ten_156m.gif

Any storm system that cuts across the country with that -NAO block in place has the potential to produce snowfall on the East coast, so long as the 50/50 block is well in place..as it is on most models thus far. The ECMWF is pretty much the worst case scenario but it seems to be on it's own. Here's the 12z CMC

f162.gif

this is from the 0z gem, from last night. Just illustrates how strong this block seems to be. Look at all the retrograding lows into maine then circling around the northeast. Thats just fascinating. For people in maine they probably can't wait to get rid of 2010 with all the retrograding systems

http://www.stanford....0zPrecipGLB.htm

Ya know we havent had one of those bowling ball systems that cross the country and exit off the mid atlantic in a few years dumping a stripe of moderate snow across the country-- we used to get at least one of those every winter.  Maybe we will this season. 

this is from the 0z gem, from last night. Just illustrates how strong this block seems to be. Look at all the retrograding lows into maine then circling around the northeast. Thats just fascinating. For people in maine they probably can't wait to get rid of 2010 with all the retrograding systems

http://www.stanford....0zPrecipGLB.htm

Well if its like the last system-- they probably want it because it brought them heavy snow.  The rest of us just got flurries.

Between 144-150 hours the 12z Euro retrogrades a surface low into the Gulf of Maine..some light snow into the NYC area. What's more important is that afterwards, it has the surface wave going through the Mid-Atlantic like the GFS. It's strung out and weak, but we get a light snow event at 180 hours.

Nice thats what we are looking for at this period just some consistency showing a storm threat...i believe 12/10/09 last year we where all in the dumps and there was a storm threat model to be south of us...we all know how thast turn out.

The low amplifies off the coast at hr 198. It's a decent depiction aloft with a tremendous block and a weak shortwave tracking west to east across the US and then amplifying.

john, its going to be interesting with that retrograding low offshore. i think that will also play a role in how strong and far north this comes in future runs.

Not really...the shortwave that enters the flow after is the one to watch I think. It's on the CMC as well.

http://www.meteo.psu...MC_12z/f162.gif

Agree.......even with that retrograding low on the euro, it still has us getting preciep from the shortwave so thats good to see. Like you said this is prob our first legit threat with this type of pac......

DT was saying the 0z ECMWF Esenmbles look better than the operational.... Actually supports a potential storm.

That's all we need at this point, a week away. The facts are: 1) NAO retrogrades into a west based orientation next week, 2) 13th-14th bombing low sets up a 50-50 vortex in SE Canada creating plenty of confluence to our north, 3) AO falls through the floor over the next week as massive height rises occur across the nern latitudes, 4) Short waves will be ejecting ewd from the north pacific trough starting mid next week.

So the players will be on the field, and the pattern conducive for snow, it's just a matter timing the features well. We need enough confluence to keep pcpn as frozen, but not too much so that its forced to the south.

As per December 17th deadline looking like the nao>epo. Congrats on becoming a mod, I was having a hard time finding this thread, was looking for a red am.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Tony.

Yeah, it looks like the AO/NAO is going to be the big winner. Even with the MJO in Phase 5 now and heading to Phase 6, there just doesn't seem to be an end to the blocking. I'm not particularly bullish on the weekend storm (possible? sure. likely? no.), but if it occurs, we could get an Archembault response out of it. Otherwise, I think we are blocked up through Christmas.

Also, the GWO has come out of the circle for the first time in a while. It'll be interesting to see if it will go through a full 8-1-2-3-4 progression, or just dive back into the middle. The 8-1-2-3-4 is also a warm signal in the East, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to break the block down.

This is me just wondering aloud, but if the solar factor is driving the high latitude blocking, I wonder if the MJO and GWO data are contaminated by the 80s-00s and the Nina signals aren't well represented in winter? I have zero evidence to back this up, so feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I am.

Also, the GWO has come out of the circle for the first time in a while. It'll be interesting to see if it will go through a full 8-1-2-3-4 progression, or just dive back into the middle. The 8-1-2-3-4 is also a warm signal in the East, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to break the block down.

This is me just wondering aloud, but if the solar factor is driving the high latitude blocking, I wonder if the MJO and GWO data are contaminated by the 80s-00s and the Nina signals aren't well represented in winter? I have zero evidence to back this up, so feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I am.

I actually discussed that in the sne thread. I wonder what the phase composites would look like if we included the 50's and 60's during the -nao decadal cycle. Again, maybe it doesn't make much difference, but you have to wonder.

Archived