Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
0z Model Guidance 12/9

benfica356

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SREF mean at 500mb doesn't look too bad to my eyes. The 500mb jet streak is still not at the trough base and the trough is already progressing through the MS valley. The GFS had a similar idea at 18z.

can you help me visualize that? maybe put some graphics on the 500mb chart? if you have time, I am just trying to understand what you mean.

Gracias,

R

can you help me visualize that? maybe put some graphics on the 500mb chart? if you have time, I am just trying to understand what you mean.

Gracias,

R

As soon as I get home I'll help with the visualization, I'm posting this from my iphone. But in a general sense, the model runs yesterday already had the trough negatively tilted and phased at that longitude. The UK, GFS and to an extent NAM and DGEX have been trending towards a de-amplified height field over the Northeast, and the trough over the Southeast taking longer to go negatively tilted as a result. This delays the phase and helps slide the entire thing eastward. We will have to see if this is truly a trend, or if it was just a hiccup, which it very well might be considering the stubbornly far west ECMWF and GGEM.

im not sure what to make of this run yet, the hgts are higher in the center part of the country, but the 50/50 low is further south flattening out the rising hgts over the east coast, the pacific ridge is also flatter so far through 36....

The pacific ridge def is flatter through 42 when you compare it to the 18z 48 hr h5 -- which is probably due to the 50-50 low being a bit further SE

Not exactly sure whats going on just off the NC/VA coast at 66...

HPC mentioned it in there afternoon model diagnostic disco, NAM and UKMET are the most bullish on this feature, which will end up determining the baroclinic zone along the EC...

...WAVE SHARPENING ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST LATE DAY 3...

PREFERENCE: COMPROMISE BETWEEN ECMWF AND UKMET

THE NAM AND GEM GLOBAL ARE SUPPRESSED COMPARED WITH THE OTHER

RECENT GUIDANCE...WITH THE UKMET THE MOST DEVELOPED WITH THIS

SYSTEM BY THE END OF THE PERIOD. THIS FEATURE IS CRITICAL TO

WHERE THE BAROCLINIC ZONE ENDS UP AHEAD OF THE MIDWEST SYSTEM.

WITH THE SPREAD IN SOLUTIONS...WILL RECOMMEND A COMPROMISE BETWEEN

THE EXTREMES...THE ECMWF AND UKMET.

Archived