• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Splitting Central/Western Poll

Should The Great Lakes Be a Separate Forum?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Great Lakes Be a Separate Forum?

Can a sub-forum have sub-forums? Have the general..... C/WR forum for obs and big storms and general discussion... and then subforums inside for the regions and specific local threats?

Well, sure...but I'm afraid I couldn't see the forest through the trees with my original post. :arrowhead: This really isn't about "us", it's about expanding the Plains/Western brand here on AMEX and separating them for hopeful future growth.

As for the "GL" or "Midwest" region of the current , eh we're probably not quite big enough to broken into smaller bits...well not quite yet.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, sure...but I'm afraid I couldn't see the forest through the trees with my original post. :arrowhead: This really isn't about "us", it's about expanding the Plains/Western brand here on AMEX and separating them for hopeful future growth.

As for the "GL" or "Midwest" region of the current , eh we're probably not quite big enough to broken into smaller bits...well not quite yet.

I don't know how the board works, but I wonder if we couldn't try out a few configurations, in the subforum like a beta test run.

I voted yes per one idea which could bolster another section of the forum, and that is give Ohio to the Upstate NY/Pennsylvania section of the forum, which would help their lack of posting. Also it would make more sense with relation to weather as in the winter, storms that affect Ohio normally don't affect the rest of the Great Lakes the same, and as for summer most of the severe weather/systems occur the next day for Ohio/Penn/Western NY compared to say IL/WI/MN.

I think there are pros and cons. I'm not a huge fan of adding yet another subforum but that is the model we have and this subforum covers a gigantic area.

There's always going to be some disagreement about exactly how to split but I think we came up with a general breakdown a while back.

I voted yes per one idea which could bolster another section of the forum, and that is give Ohio to the Upstate NY/Pennsylvania section of the forum, which would help their lack of posting. Also it would make more sense with relation to weather as in the winter, storms that affect Ohio normally don't affect the rest of the Great Lakes the same, and as for summer most of the severe weather/systems occur the next day for Ohio/Penn/Western NY compared to say IL/WI/MN.

Disregarding the tension there has been with some Ohio posters, I think it's tough to make a good case to put Ohio with Upstate NY/Pennsylvania. I think we'd want to avoid having people from this subforum having to transfer to an already established subforum.

Disregarding the tension there has been with some Ohio posters, I think it's tough to make a good case to put Ohio with Upstate NY/Pennsylvania. I think we'd want to avoid having people from this subforum having to transfer to an already established subforum.

Admittedly the tension is part of it but the reasoning I gave as to why Ohio could fit with Pennsylvania and NY State (mainly the Western parts of both states) would be that they'd fit more with those states than say Wi/IL/MN

Admittedly the tension is part of it but the reasoning I gave as to why Ohio could fit with Pennsylvania and NY State (mainly the Western parts of both states) would be that they'd fit more with those states than say Wi/IL/MN

Maybe eastern Ohio (especially the lake effect belt) but imo most of Ohio is more similar to areas farther west.

If Ohio goes then I don't know where you draw the line. Indiana is pretty similar to Ohio...where should that go?

Indiana is tougher though most of the Indiana posters are either Indy or Northwest IN areas which would be more typical of the rest of the Great Lakes. So I think Indiana to the GL and Ohio to the East, would make the most sense.

Indiana is tougher though most of the Indiana posters are either Indy or Northwest IN areas which would be more typical of the rest of the Great Lakes. So I think Indiana to the GL and Ohio to the East, would make the most sense.

I guess I am weighing certain factors more than you are. People like Brandon and buckeye have been part of our group for many years...

I guess I am weighing certain factors more than you are. People like Brandon and buckeye have been part of our group for many years...

Well that is understandable, I was merely looking to improve a section of the forum that get low traffic plus breaking up a known conflict zone between the rest of the GL and OH.

Well that is understandable, I was merely looking to improve a section of the forum that get low traffic plus breaking up a known conflict zone between the rest of the GL and OH.

There really is no way to fix that. If we start catering to regional differences, then we may as well break up Americanwx up into 50 regions. People need to learn to get along.

There really is no way to fix that. If we start catering to regional differences, then we may as well break up Americanwx up into 50 regions. People need to learn to get along.

No I agree with this too, and as I said the bickering may be a bit of the reasoning behind it but more so it is the meteorology of Ohio compared to the rest of the lakes being the idea behind my thought of putting them in with PA/NY. I suppose WV and E KY should be with that area too. Tbh the problem is that whole area is in a crossroads of many regions.

My weather here in Western Ohio is much more comparable to Eastern Illinois and Indiana than it is PA and NY.

Similar climatology but the timing and meteorology are different, as I mentioned previously. A winter storm that may be good for you would more than likely miss the rest of the Great Lakes and vice versa. Sure the bottom lines might be similar but the paths getting there are different.

Similar climatology but the timing and meteorology are different, as I mentioned previously. A winter storm that may be good for you would more than likely miss the rest of the Great Lakes and vice versa.

Well obviously I am completely against moving Ohio to a different forum, like 250% against it. You as might as well throw Indiana in that mix too. We are part of the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes, not the Northeast.

Well obviously I am completely against moving Ohio to a different forum, like 250% against it. You as might as well throw Indiana in that mix too. We are part of the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes, not the Northeast.

I'm not trying to upset anyone by the idea, I was just looking at the thought of it. Although from what I can see breaking anything up would cause issues as even the thought of placing Ohio for example into another forum, is being looked down upon.

Similar climatology but the timing and meteorology are different, as I mentioned previously. A winter storm that may be good for you would more than likely miss the rest of the Great Lakes and vice versa. Sure the bottom lines might be similar but the paths getting there are different.

Not different enough. The differences, I feel, are being alluded to here simply because there is already a "riff" amongst the two states. If we really wanted to delve into it, we could come up with similar climo differences amongst Indiana and Illinois. Doesn't mean they should be split. And I know you are just submitting ideas, but there really is no chance OH is split off into the Northeast.

Not different enough. The differences, I feel, are being alluded to here simply because there is already a "riff" amongst the two states. If we really wanted to delve into it, we could come up with similar climo differences amongst Indiana and Illinois. Doesn't mean they should be split. And I know you are just submitting ideas, but there really is no chance OH is split off into the Northeast.

Yeah it is more me thinking aloud and hoping someone would listen than anything else.

Yeah it is more me thinking aloud and hoping someone would listen than anything else.

If you want my honest opinion, I wish the "outspoken" ones would simply get along. The funny thing is most in OH/MI get along fine, a few just find ways to hate each other simply because of an arbitrary border separating the two (which then incites way more hate than their needs to be). People just need to get along...

If you want my honest opinion, I wish the "outspoken" ones would simply get along. The funny thing is most in OH/MI get along fine, a few just find ways to hate each other simply because of an arbitrary border separating the two (which then incites way more hate than their needs to be). People just need to get along...

Agree, although some of those 'outspoken' posters have been shown the door, so who knows maybe this coming winter won't be as bad as previous winter.

Its called regionalism...and intra-regionalism. It happens everywhere. We have guys in the New England subforum like skiMRG telling everyone how bad their climate is because they don't get as much snow as them....but we deal with it...normally call him a sh**head once or twice per winter and move on. If we wanted to be perfect, we'd split the New England forum up into 5 parts, but eventually we have to draw a line.

The central/western forum is a bit different since its so much larger, but the density of the population of posters is so much thinner that it can only be cut down so much. Otherwise eventually we have 4 posters posting to eachother all day long. Subforums are a tough angle...they have to be managed almost perfectly or nobody will be happy.

Its called regionalism...and intra-regionalism. It happens everywhere. We have guys in the New England subforum like skiMRG telling everyone how bad their climate is because they don't get as much snow as them....but we deal with it...normally call him a sh**head once or twice per winter and move on. If we wanted to be perfect, we'd split the New England forum up into 5 parts, but eventually we have to draw a line.

The central/western forum is a bit different since its so much larger, but the density of the population of posters is so much thinner that it can only be cut down so much. Otherwise eventually we have 4 posters posting to eachother all day long. Subforums are a tough angle...they have to be managed almost perfectly or nobody will be happy.

You said it right there. Subforums seemingly breed discontent as they give unhappy posters reasons to vent and request more subforums (as band-aids) to fix the problem. The option? Create more subforums!

It is a problem both members/posters and moderators/admins will need to tackle in the future, and it is something I am trying (subtly) to tackle now. Sooner or later we (members of differing regions) need to learn to co-exist or the only option will be to divide up each region by state. There needs to be a happy medium.

As for the topic at hand, I am all for a regional split. The Plains/Intermountain W deserve growth, and the Lakes region deserves its own region.

i honestly hate the way that the lakes get their weather a day after me...many severe weather events include me trying to keep up with current stuff while yall talk about what the models show for the next day, i realize i am just a vocal minority, but it sucks to have my current weather always overshadowed by tomorrow's potential outbreak somewhere up in michigan or indiana. i expect the poll to be really lopsided since of course the lakes people who comprise the majority of this forum will see no problem with the status quo.

I can understand your frustration. Fortunately in the southeast, there is not a lot of difference in time between what effects us and nc or vice versa. Plus the NC crew does a really good job of discussing Ga as well in their forecasts. I don't follow this forum but if that isn't the case here, I would find that annoying to be sure.

FWIW, when we split the SE group off, we had a pretty big influx of new members. It could have been just a coincidence but I tend to think it's because we did. So if those of you wanting more people for your specific area , there is a chance that will happen. Overall, it's been a really good thing as many of those who did join offer valuable opinions. We rarely have any problems with anyone. And although we miss the opinions of good mets in the mid atlantic, you get over it pretty quickly if you have quality posters in your region.

Looks like you are not in the minority so far, as your side has a slim lead (vs the no votes).

But in my opinion, which might not be worth much, I think it would be a good thing since there will be more attention to the region those really care care about.

Archived