• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Splitting Central/Western Poll

Should The Great Lakes Be a Separate Forum?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Great Lakes Be a Separate Forum?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall I'm still not completely in love with subforums. In a perfect world there would be a better way to keep everyone in the same forum with quick sortability. We've not figured out how to do that here though. There are also a number of positives of course as well. But again, given how the rest of the forum is now setup there is no reason to think that the west forum would remain a huge catch all as American continues to grow--and theoretically (outside sheer numbers east of the Apps) we should have more growth to go in the west than the east given that we're still relatively new on the whole U.S. scale despite the fact that we had a strong contingent at Eastern.

Have you tried tags, like this? http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

Perhaps too strongly worded by me. I just saw this winter way too much jealousy and even some anger when the cities would get a snow storm.

Hmm, didn't sense that myself personally. Matter of fact it was nice seeing MSP get hit good for a change IMO. Not a big deal though, moving along...

To be honest, I only vaguely know any other MN posters. But perhaps that proves your point. It may be because they're primarily posting in the Plains thread. Regardless though, if members have some degree of latitude to post where they please so long as it doesn't flagrantly run afoul of how the subforums are constituted territorially, I don't think there'll be much of a problem with the MSP/DSM/STL crowd. Right? I'm assuming the staff isn't going to start deleting msp's posts/warning him because he's posting in the GL subforum.

As said before, it is about growth. I want to see that area grow, and it has a lot of potential. Not to mention the western thread will need a lot of help to rapidly grow, and the Cities will provide that.

That said, the lakes region is so different from the Twin Cities it should not be part of a split anyways. It is much more similar to Plains type weather than the lakes dominated weather of the GL region whether it is severe weather, winter storms, or cold outbreaks.

It is something you notice when you are one of the few posters posting from the area. It is something that likely goes unnoticed by those not from the area, but you notice it when you are from the area.

Occasionally when I see a wrapped up cutter on the GFS I'll post:

Congrats MSP :axe:

I hope that doesn't qualify as hate. ;)

As said before, it is about growth. I want to see that area grow, and it has a lot of potential. Not to mention the western thread will need a lot of help to rapidly grow, and the Cities will provide that.

That said, the lakes region is so different from the Twin Cities it should not be part of a split anyways. It is much more similar to Plains type weather than the lakes dominated weather of the GL region whether it is severe weather, winter storms, or cold outbreaks.

Agreed. Exactly what I propose that the eastern boundaries of the Central/Western forum be the EASTERN boundaries of the following states: Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota. (except if New Orleans is currently in the SE forum, don't modify it; it's fine as long as it's E of the MS Rvr)

Sorry if I missed it, but what's your opinion about where QC and St Louis should go?

Agreed. Exactly what I propose that the eastern boundaries of the Central/Western forum be the EASTERN boundaries of the following states: Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota. (except if New Orleans is currently in the SE forum, don't modify it; it's fine as long as it's E of the MS Rvr)

QC and STL metro go to the Midwest, speaking of the cut-off of IA and MO. At least again, which makes sense "weather-wise". Other than that, I think everyone agrees (for the most part) with the outline.

We've been doing congrats MSP since the early 2000's. :lol: No hate intended, just a weenie phrase really.

Yeah, that's about as bad as it gets as far as I recall. Just friendly razzing. Although, I'm open to considering Baro's premise that because we're not from the region, perhaps some of the more inflammatory posts fly under our radar?

Sorry if I missed it, but what's your opinion about where QC and St Louis should go?

QC is down the line. They are sort of a hybrid in terms of the plains/lakes weather, but we simply have too many long time posters there to move it away. St. Louis will be another tough one, but I don't see how that can be considered part of the Lakes region.

Yeah, that's about as bad as it gets as far as I recall. Just friendly razzing. Although, I'm open to considering Baro's premise that because we're not from the region, perhaps some of the more inflammatory posts fly under our radar?

I used the wrong word. It certainly wasn't true hate, but more of a disdain and/or annoyance is how I perceived it.

QC is down the line. They are sort of a hybrid in terms of the plains/lakes weather, but we simply have too many long time posters there to move it away. St. Louis will be another tough one, but I don't see how that can be considered part of the Lakes region.

It's Lakes/OV though and STL climo is pretty similar to the latter.

You get MSP, we get STL. :P

I guess you could've come up with something worse but I'd rather have the east/west division be as "clean" as possible.

Well yeah, but I was just going off the CWA borders. Which kinda works, if the QC and STL go east. LSE and NW WI probably make sense for the Plains side of things...but you're probably right, it's too messy.

Yep.. Some decent population centers will help and thus needed for the western forum to help grow it and those areas.

Eh?

:yikes:

That is actually pretty good.

I guess you could've come up with something worse but I'd rather have the east/west division be as "clean" as possible.

Pretty clean to me. Right near/along the MS river. Think of storm tracks/severe wx etc his map is as good as it is gonna get.

Well yeah, but I was just going off the CWA borders. Which kinda works, if the QC and STL go east. LSE and NW WI probably make sense for the Plains side of things...but you're probably right, it's too messy.

As said above i think it works.

Yep.. Some decent population centers will help and thus needed for the western forum to help grow it and those areas.

Pretty clean to me. Right near/along the MS river. Think of storm tracks/severe wx etc his map is as good as it is gonna get.

Not a big fan of that bulge into Wisconsin. I guess it could work though.

Not a big fan of that bulge into Wisconsin. I guess it could work though.

I hear you ( Odd boundary lines there ) but thinking of this from a Pro Met ( who may wanna join from one of the offices ) standpoint i think it is pretty good. If i recall correctly the initial concern when the NYC/Philly areas were split was about this very thing. Most of it was from the the guys at those offices. I doubt they wanna hop from one forum to the next and them we could use more of.

I hear you ( Odd boundary lines there ) but thinking of this from a Pro Met ( who may wanna join from one of the offices ) standpoint i think it is pretty good. If i recall correctly the initial concern when the NYC/Philly areas were split was about this very thing. Most of it was from the the guys at those offices. I doubt they wanna hop from one forum to the next and them we could use more of.

I think it could work. Though I guess you could make a case for including the ARX CWA. Actual weather patterns/results plus not trying to split up CWAs kind of plays into my map...despite its "goofy" looks.

"ARX included" map.

I think it could work. Though I guess you could make a case for including the ARX CWA. Actual weather patterns/results plus not trying to split up CWAs kind of plays into my map...despite its "goofy" looks.

Not sure about anyone else but i like it. As for ARX. That would really look goofy thanks to MPX. I think your 1st map works out pretty good and or as good as it gets. I believe there is a few MN posters who sit along/near that line too just on the ARX side though. Only one i could see a slight problem is with Frank but have not seen him in ages. Wonder if he is ok? This could change though with second map. As alot of the MN crew tend to hang together in the MSP threats etc.

Archived