• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Splitting Central/Western Poll

Should The Great Lakes Be a Separate Forum?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Great Lakes Be a Separate Forum?

Curious as to what our forum members think on this. There has been discussion in the past (which are still ongoing) on whether we should split off the Great Lakes into their own forum region leaving the remainder of the plains/intermountain west. There are positives and negatives here, so if you have any opinions, please do discuss them.

Please keep any discussion civil here as well.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted undecided, but it's really more like indifference. If we separate, that's fine, but frankly I don't have any problems the way the c/w forum is currently constructed.

This.

While it might help attract new members and create a more regional discussion, it's not going to solve the main problem which will still exist.

No, I like learning from everyone in one place. We'll have problems like what states to split, etc. Guess I personally never had a problem this past year, so rather would have one giant sub-forum.

If it happens I'd probably frequent both sub-forums as there are too many good opinions to miss.

I've been away awhile and I'm generally obtuse. What's the problem?

There really is nothing different since you left. The problems are generally rather minimal compared to other regions, but they include inter-region squabbles (i.e., MI vs OH or MI vs Chicago, etc.), a handful of bad posters (although we more or less eliminated one of them for the most part), excessive complaining by some posters when weather doesn't happen in their backyard (which leads to some of the inter-region squabbles), etc.

FWIW, which isn't much, I voted undecided. Reasoning being I kind of want it both ways, everyone together but yet still somewhat separated. Plus how it would be split up would be a big question mark/arguing point. I guess I'd lean keep the status quo right now, because I do like reading the Plains/West/etc threads. Maybe we could try separate smaller regional threads for this upcoming winter. Kind of a dip the toes in the water kind of deal. Don't know...just throwing stuff at the wall...

FWIW, which isn't much, I voted undecided. Reasoning being I kind of want it both ways, everyone together but yet still somewhat separated. Plus how it would be split up would be a big question mark/arguing point. I guess I'd lean keep the status quo right now, because I do like reading the Plains/West/etc threads. Maybe we could try separate smaller regional threads for this upcoming winter. Kind of a dip the toes in the water kind of deal. Don't know...just throwing stuff at the wall...

Do what Steve does if you want,= (a Texas/Louisiana/Northern Mexico thread) and start individual threads for cold season events in the Eastern lakes or Western Lakes or whatever, but this has been the go to place for Spring severe, and I don't want the good severe weather posters, mods, orange and red taggers split up.

There really is nothing different since you left. The problems are generally rather minimal compared to other regions, but they include inter-region squabbles (i.e., MI vs OH or MI vs Chicago, etc.), a handful of bad posters (although we more or less eliminated one of them for the most part), excessive complaining by some posters when weather doesn't happen in their backyard (which leads to some of the inter-region squabbles), etc.

Yeah, that's been a problem, albeit a small one, since I've been posting on these boards. Particularly the friction between the OH folks and the rest. But honestly, it's not so disruptive that I think it warrants sectioning up the board. Especially since the cohorts of posters you mentioned would probably still be located within a catch-all "great lakes" subforum. Frankly, suspending/banning problem posters is probably a more efficacious way to maintain the high quality discussion we expect.

I voted no. I feel that we are still small enough as a group that we don't need splitting. As Chicagowx said, there will be bickering about where to divide the region. But more than that, we've seemed to get along quite well here. The disco threads for the smaller regions are doing a good job of keeping things running smoothly. For example, I enjoy being able to click on the Alaska thread within our subforum.

Sure, there has been some MBY junk, but that would happen no matter how you split things up. I vote to keep things as they are.

I remember for VD 2007 we had a GL thread and an OV thread. I got carpal tunnel syndrome from clicking between the two. So long as the imby/wishcast weenies are reined in, I don't think it's necessary to segment. But I appreciate you're just thinking aloud Tim.

Do what Steve does if you want,= (a Texas/Louisiana/Northern Mexico thread) and start individual threads for cold season events in the Eastern lakes or Western Lakes or whatever, but this has been the go to place for Spring severe, and I don't want the good severe weather posters, mods, orange and red taggers split up.

Might work, don't know. I've been doing this for too long really, 1999-2000, and have seen the number of posters and activity increase every year. We've got a good amount now, though obviously more would be welcomed. Well, good posters I guess. But at some point expansion makes sense. In what form and how is the question.

Yeah, that's been a problem, albeit a small one, since I've been posting on these boards. Particularly the friction between the OH folks and the rest. But honestly, it's not so disruptive that I think it warrants sectioning up the board. Especially since the cohorts of posters you mentioned would probably still be located within a catch-all "great lakes" subforum. Frankly, suspending/banning problem posters is probably a more efficacious way to maintain the high quality discussion we expect.

Yeah I know, I was mainly responding to what Chistorm was referencing. We wouldn't break off the Great lakes/Ohio for that reason. The main reason (if we were to) would be for growth of the remainder of central/western.

I remember for VD 2007 we had a GL thread and an OV thread. I got carpal tunnel syndrome from clicking between the two. So long as the imby/wishcast weenies are reined in, I don't think it's necessary to segment. But I appreciate you're just thinking aloud Tim.

Yep, I remember that as well. Unfortunately there was some inter-regional bickering/sniping as well with that set up/particular storm. Like I said, I was just throwing it out there but trying to think of a way to "test it out". I like our group and think we, for the most part, get along just fine. Maybe we're not big enough to be split up anyway...

i honestly hate the way that the lakes get their weather a day after me...many severe weather events include me trying to keep up with current stuff while yall talk about what the models show for the next day, i realize i am just a vocal minority, but it sucks to have my current weather always overshadowed by tomorrow's potential outbreak somewhere up in michigan or indiana. i expect the poll to be really lopsided since of course the lakes people who comprise the majority of this forum will see no problem with the status quo.

i honestly hate the way that the lakes get their weather a day after me...many severe weather events include me trying to keep up with current stuff while yall talk about what the models show for the next day, i realize i am just a vocal minority, but it sucks to have my current weather always overshadowed by tomorrow's potential outbreak somewhere up in michigan or indiana. i expect the poll to be really lopsided since of course the lakes people who comprise the majority of this forum will see no problem with the status quo.

Yes this is a problem, and it was always my main argument for suggesting it as the Plains/intermountain W has no chance for growth with the current setup. The negatives are, for the short term, it will probably be a bit quiet until growth begins.

Some good thoughts here, and to a degree, we have tried this. Unfortunately most of the small sub-regional discos (like the plains thread, for instance) have had zero growth and have minimal membership since we started it.

I'm not a fan, mainly because I like to follow Western and Plains threads as well and to be honest, I'm not sure (this sounds lazy) I would take time to check both forums. It is pretty rare anymore that I even go to the main forum. I just don't know that the activity is there for a split yet, maybe someday, but we aren't there yet, at least in my opinion.

I think during the heart of severe weather season, we could fix some of the problems by having individual threads for each individual severe weather day. That could solve some of the problems, like the ones that k*** referenced.

Yes this is a problem, and it was always my main reason for suggesting it as the Plains/intermountain W has no chance for growth with the current setup. The negatives are, for the short term, it will probably be a bit quiet until growth begins.

It's a chicken and egg dilemma...I would never expect most potential posters from the plains to make this their weather home when the bigger threads are dominated by discussion dominated by WI/IL/IN/MI. But until those posters exists exercises like this one where we poll people about their preferences will always serve to reinforce the way things are currently done.

It's a chicken and egg dilemma...I would never expect most potential posters from the plains to make this their weather home when the bigger threads are dominated by discussion dominated by WI/IL/IN/MI. But until those posters exists exercises like this one where we poll people about their preferences will always serve to reinforce the way things are currently done.

This poll is by no means going to be a decision making poll. Mostly interested in what folks had to say. I will say I am a little surprised most don't want a split as in the past many did.

I'm not a fan, mainly because I like to follow Western and Plains threads as well and to be honest, I'm not sure (this sounds lazy) I would take time to check both forums.

Tabbed browsing FTW. C'mon...if the split isn't done, I'd like to have a much better reason why besides "it takes time to click a link".

That's the main reason I would support splitting the regions, although honestly, things should work out either way.

Some good thoughts here, and to a degree, we have tried this. Unfortunately most of the small sub-regional discos (like the plains thread, for instance) have had zero growth and have minimal membership since we started it.

Well then, as yourself and Kush have alluded to, it's a mere numbers game. Obviously we need more Plains/Western U.S. people. I'm not sure if splitting the Plains/West into its own separate sub-forum is going to work towards getting new members. When it was essentially that at Eastern, it was a ghost town. I obviously hope that there will be more Plains/Western posters in the near future, just not sure how to get there...

Well then, as yourself and Kush have alluded to, it's a mere numbers game. Obviously we need more Plains/Western U.S. people. I'm not sure if splitting the Plains/West into its own separate sub-forum is going to work towards getting new members. When it was essentially that at Eastern, it was a ghost town. I obviously hope that there will be more Plains/Western posters in the near future, just not sure how to get there...

the texas contingent is growing quick. the people from the SW MO/NW AR/E OK thread could be there too. those two groups, combined with the colorado and random western folks could form the seeds of a decent start. i have a couple atmospheric science majors here that i plan on inviting to join the forum after i am done having a teacher-student relationship with them devilsmiley.gif

the texas contingent is growing quick. the people from the SW MO/NW AR/E OK thread could be there too. those two groups, combined with the colorado and random western folks could form the seeds of a decent start. i have a couple atmospheric science majors here that i plan on inviting to join the forum after i am done having a teacher-student relationship with them devilsmiley.gif

lol, enjoy. :guitar:

But yeah you're probably right about the numbers increasing, and in turn...maybe it is time to try it out. The central/northern/high Plains thread has some action too. Incorporate the Alaska/W Canada thread and the "new" forum will definitely get some attention.

Can a sub-forum have sub-forums? Have the general..... C/WR forum for obs and big storms and general discussion... and then subforums inside for the regions and specific local threats?

I was very vocal right after the transition from Eastern regarding any splitting of our sub forum. After nearly a year and seasonal changes, we continue to grow and in fact continue to attract new folks. There are many that choose to lurk and follow the discussions, but make no mistake, they are here. What ever becomes of idea of any transition, I would hope that for major events, we could continue with an organized pinned thread idea so those that offer input and follow will have a central thread to focus on. All in all, we’ve come a long way since the old days when the Western sub forum was a baron waste land that hardly anyone beyond the region even knew existed.

Archived