• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Dec 8 Model Guidance

earthlight

It will be interesting to see the jumps and/or trends this evening considering some of the developments at 18z. Interestingly, the NAM is further south with the clipper shortwave energy. We will see where the rest of the suite goes from here. I included the 00z NAM link referenced above below:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/WRF_0z/f72.gif

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM is definitely slightly encouraging, but if you ask me the window for this to produce snow on the coastal plain is very, very small. Inland areas definitely should keep an eye out for the eastward trend with this one, though. It's still amazing to me that people were declaring this threat over two days ago when the system was 160 hours out.

I wary of taking the NAM so far out but its interesting to see it has such a different solution.

Storm should be moving over better sampled waters so we'll see some defining trends the next few runs

It's going to take another day or two to get the pieces in a good RAOB area, especially the Polar Vortex to the north which is interestingly one of the most important feature now as we watch the evolution of the trough and the phase.

The NAM is definitely slightly encouraging, but if you ask me the window for this to produce snow on the coastal plain is very, very small. Inland areas definitely should keep an eye out for the eastward trend with this one, though. It's still amazing to me that people were declaring this threat over two days ago when the system was 160 hours out.

I think at this point most would be satisfied with even a minor snowfall accumulation.

It's going to take another day or two to get the pieces in a good RAOB area, especially the Polar Vortex to the north which is interestingly one of the most important feature now as we watch the evolution of the trough and the phase.

Yeah, the PV certainly can not be forgotten in this equation. Also the GFS and others have been hinting at possible secondary development off the east coast, thats something that needs to be watch as well

Yeah, the PV certainly can not be forgotten in this equation. Also the GFS and others have been hinting at possible secondary development off the east coast, thats something that needs to be watch as well

Someone did mention that there was a second wave being depicted on some of the ensemble members on the 12z run; I'm not sure how prevalent this was in the 18z ensembles.

I posted about this earlier, but once you get into the 120hr plus range what looks for all the world like being a certain type of storm (coastal, apps ruuner, cutter, etc) could easily turn out the exact opposite. And just as often some really smart people (even mets) will chime in on the model agreement and explain why the synoptic setup shows why the modeled outcome is likely. Well of course, if the modeled features are similar the outcomes are similar. But the features turning out as modeled at that time range is really not that much more than a crap shoot. I have absolutely, definitely seen a depicted cutter at this range (as shown on the GFS/Euro/GGEM) turn out wide right in the end.

Someone did mention that there was a second wave being depicted on some of the ensemble members on the 12z run; I'm not sure how prevalent this was in the 18z ensembles.

It was there on the 18z GFS operational and on a lot of the ensemble members. Not that it means much, but Dgex also had this feature at 18z.

The cold air is just not in place though ahead of the storm. So while the track can definitely still shift significantly, I gave up on this storm being a snow producer in the big cities largely for that reason, and every model cutting it to the west of course.

I posted about this earlier, but once you get into the 120hr plus range what looks for all the world like being a certain type of storm (coastal, apps ruuner, cutter, etc) could easily turn out the exact opposite. And just as often some really smart people (even mets) will chime in on the model agreement and explain why the synoptic setup shows why the modeled outcome is likely. Well of course, if the modeled features are similar the outcomes are similar. But the features turning out as modeled at that time range is really not that much more than a crap shoot. I have absolutely, definitely seen a depicted cutter at this range (as shown on the GFS/Euro/GGEM) turn out wide right in the end.

A good example is Feb. 2-4, 2009. 5 days out, most models progged it to be a Great Lakes bomb, but the storm ended up coming east and bringing a period of light-moderate snow to the cities. It turned out that the models were wrapping up the storm too early with those 100+ hour runs.

The cold air is just not in place though ahead of the storm. So while the track can definitely still shift significantly, I gave up on this storm being a snow producer in the big cities largely for that reason, and every model cutting it to the west of course.

The only thing most of us are probably hoping for is a bit of snow at the tail end to just whiten the ground at least. I think most of us have probably given up on the idea of big snows on the coastal plain.

For us, these slight changes won't mean much, it'll still rain here regardless. If you live in central PA, upstate NY, into Ohio, then these slight changes do make a difference. For us the only difference will be how warm the temperatures get before the storm swings through. Will we rise into the mid 50s with rain or into the mid 40s with rain? I'll take the colder rain solution though, at least it'll feel like I'm close to winter weather rather than light years away from it (10-12 degrees above freezing vs 20+ degrees above freezing).

what i don't get is if you look at the 18z ens, the ones that have the snow tracks how does the cold air get involved? The clipper takes basically the same track north of us over the lakes or over canada. So is it from the plains storm diving so far south that the cold air can seep in? Or are they showing the clipper dragging a cold front with it and that gets there before the 2nd storm comes along? Because it can't be from the pv, once the pv dives south that storm is going to phase with it.

The only thing most of us are probably hoping for is a bit of snow at the tail end to just whiten the ground at least. I think most of us have probably given up on the idea of big snows on the coastal plain.

the only thing i can see where we can salvage a snow event is if the s/w energy coming into the plains does not phase with the pv and thus its just a low travelling east, then once hits the coast it can go up it or ots. Thats the only way i see a snowstorm for i95 corridor

There IS enough cold air for snow in a thread the needle type situation with this storm, although it is far from ideal.

There IS enough cold air for snow in a thread the needle type situation with this storm, although it is far from ideal.

There is also plenty of cold air to tap if needed. The problem is getting the storm in a position that would allow it to tap the cold air and funnel it toward the coast. Not impossible but we need to definitely move a couple things around.

There is also plenty of cold air to tap if needed. The problem is getting the storm in a position that would allow it to tap the cold air and funnel it toward the coast. Not impossible but we need to definitely move a couple things around.

This is even more true. There is PLENTY of cold air to tap.

A good example is Feb. 2-4, 2009. 5 days out, most models progged it to be a Great Lakes bomb, but the storm ended up coming east and bringing a period of light-moderate snow to the cities. It turned out that the models were wrapping up the storm too early with those 100+ hour runs.

I wish I could go back to eastern and pull out some of those threads....if I'm remembering correctly that Feb 2009 event (as modeled) changed dramatically during a 12z run.... I remember laughing as everyone was pulling for an east shift, but in the end it was too much!

the only thing i can see where we can salvage a snow event is if the s/w energy coming into the plains does not phase with the pv and thus its just a low travelling east, then once hits the coast it can go up it or ots. Thats the only way i see a snowstorm for i95 corridor

NYC could see wraparound snow, but the low would have to be positioned to their SE, E, or NE, if the low is to the north over ALB its almost impossible to see any significant wraparound since the NNW flow causes too much of a downslope.

Archived