• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
00z Dec 8 Model Guidance

earthlight

NYC could see wraparound snow, but the low would have to be positioned to their SE, E, or NE, if the low is to the north over ALB its almost impossible to see any significant wraparound since the NNW flow causes too much of a downslope.

True. If the low heads a little East of where the GFS has it, you could see more wraparound.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could still see snow showers after the storm passes because the big block that builds will allow the storm to hang around the area, kind of what we just saw with the past vortex.

I think the snow showers this go-around would be stronger, and have a better chance of accumulating, because temperatures will be signifcantly lower.

thats what the dgex was showing correct, with that wrap around?

The DGEX was more showing the second way NYC can see wraparound snows where the trough undergoes a negative tilt as the low passes along their latitude or just a bit north of their latitude to the east allowing the low pressure area to slow down a bit and track NNW.

hr 81 their is a sub 1008 pressure bout 100 miles wnw of dallas, stronger 50/50 low lowering the hgts on the east coast a little, though in conflict a little more ridging over the pac nw with the ridge axis over pacific coast

Sounds like a cutter to me...not different to the other tens of runs saying the same exact thing. I know the correct thing to do is wait and see, but meteorologists have to make a decision. They can't just leave days 5 and 6 blank on a 7 day forecast. They have to go with what the majority of the models are saying, however they wish to interpret them.

Sounds like a cutter to me...not different to the other tens of runs saying the same exact thing. I know the correct thing to do is wait and see, but meteorologists have to make a decision. They can't just leave days 5 and 6 blank on a 7 day forecast. They have to go with what the majority of the models are saying, however they wish to interpret them.

Exactly. Then you gradually make changes as you get closer, if necessary.

A good one would put up a question mark and explain the possibilities. Or say a major storm is on the way to increase ratings.

hr 126 is a sub 980 low over albany, there were some decent trends, but in the end same result. It seems like we need that pv to phase later.

One good thing is the models could easily be wrong about the phase.. we still need a thread the needle, though. Hard to believe with all this cold air.

G

One good thing is the models could easily be wrong about the phase.. we still need a thread the needle, though. Hard to believe with all this cold air.

The GFS still seems lost on half heartedly wanting to get a secondary development....I cannot envision the evolution of the low from 102 hours onward...up to that point it seems legit...after 102 that thing is either going to continue deepening and going NE over or west of PIT/BUF or its going to transfer a secondary to the coast or near the coast over the Delmarva or NJ...at this point I'm leaning still towards the cutter heading west of BUF.

It's sickening how much snow Buffalo is going to have by the end of the month...

Actually the GFS is right on target with its 12z run...maybe 10 miles further east. Score for the GGEM, the first model to show a cutter. The Euro promptly followed suit, and it looks like now the models are hammering out which side of the Apps to run on and if a secondary should develop.

All of those who are saying, "You should wait to say that," trust me, I would love for you to bring up this statement as a quote when we're sitting by the fireside on Sunday night as a blizzard bears down on I-95, telling me how wrong I was.

I doubt we're going to see much trending in our favor w/ this system as Greenland blocking has basically dissipated by that time. And as a result, we've got nothing but low pressure across SE Canada -- no strong surface HP ridges to hold the low level cold air in place. If the current model depictions are correct, there's not much reason to have a secondary transfer since there's no blocking high to the north. The primary low is free to cut inland as it pleases. This looks to be a lost cause for I-95 IMO.

gfs_pcp_108s.gif

hr 150 has -20 80s from phl to nyc and 2/3rds of pa, surface temps are 15-10

Ultimate kick in the ass.

One thing is for certain though, snow showers will be in the area. This low is going to generate historic lake-effect and some of that is going to make it over here. Yesterday, there were constant flurries and light snow showers throughout the day. I imagine that for three days straight with temps in the upper 20s...I'm perfectly happy with that.

Archived