• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Irene OBS / Discussion Thread

6.37 in the bucket. 31 hours without power. Frantic trench digging in the dark in the heaviest rain I've ever seen (about 10:45 PM). Great storm.

It's amazing what we can do when we have to. Yours reminds me of a similar situation I had in 2005 adding submersibles in a heavy rain to prevent the sump from dying. I can't recall ever getting wet during the deluge as I was too preoccupied with saving the house. A positive outcome I hope?

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing what we can do when we have to. Yours reminds me of a similar situation I had in 2005 adding submersibles in a heavy rain to prevent the sump from dying. I can't recall ever getting wet during the deluge as I was too preoccupied with saving the house. A positive outcome I hope?

Yup, everything worked out. I've had water in my basement several times this summer, so I got super serious this time, extended the downspouts out about 15 feet, triple-checked the gutters, and dug trenches between the laswn and flower beds to drain away from the house. My neighbors laughed at me Saturday morning. Nobody laughed on Sunday and my basement was dry. My property slopes a little side to side and front to back. At the peak of the storm I probably had a 50' diameter lake on sloping ground. Unbelievable. I couldn't get around it to see what was damming on my neighbors property there was too much water running behind it. Never seen anything like it. Set an alarm for 3:30 and when I checked it was all receding. But it was an interesting night!

Still no power in wall. Sad thIng was the blocks and blocks of homes under water near Arnold ave in point beach. Boardwalk swept away in spring lake. Trees down just all over wall an Belmar. Lake flooding everywhere. I have pics and video just cant post without power. Will be back in Scranton area tomorrow heard they got hit hard too in my coverage area. Will never forget that 10:30 pm sat night gust/tornado what ever it was at point beach seeing trees ripped apart and the 10 second roar...

Yup, everything worked out. I've had water in my basement several times this summer, so I got super serious this time, extended the downspouts out about 15 feet, triple-checked the gutters, and dug trenches between the laswn and flower beds to drain away from the house. My neighbors laughed at me Saturday morning. Nobody laughed on Sunday and my basement was dry. My property slopes a little side to side and front to back. At the peak of the storm I probably had a 50' diameter lake on sloping ground. Unbelievable. I couldn't get around it to see what was damming on my neighbors property there was too much water running behind it. Never seen anything like it. Set an alarm for 3:30 and when I checked it was all receding. But it was an interesting night!

Good for you. A little sweat equity and grass seed is a small price for not having water in the basement. Did the laughing neighbors have water in the basement?

Sent out from DelcoAlert:

Dry Ice is available for purchase from the following vendors:

Roberts Oxygen

1230 MacDade Blvd.

Darby, PA

610-461-1952

Scully Welding

309 Oak Lane

Collingdale, PA

610-586-8800

Lansdowne Ice & Coal

Melrose & Baltimore Ave.

Lansdowne, PA

610-623-7000

Great Valley Car Wash

Malin Road and Route 30

Malvern, PA

610-644-3243

Jim s Enterprises

2235 Hartranft Street

Philadelphia, PA

215-462-4000

Some parts of suburban South Jersey were rumored to not get power back until Labor Day weekend. Still 200k without power in the PECO footprint alone.

AC Electric says at the earliest, most will have power by Thursday, some parts not until the weekend. My Dad is out working in PA, with a company that subcontracts for storm work onto PECO. They've been sitting in West Chester, waiting to get to work, because of all the flooding. Still can't get over I actually have power, and never lost it, other then 2 flickers. Normally my power is the first to go, with thousands out around me, I'm really surprised I have it.

AC Electric says at the earliest, most will have power by Thursday, some parts not until the weekend. My Dad is out working in PA, with a company that subcontracts for storm work onto PECO. They've been sitting in West Chester, waiting to get to work, because of all the flooding. Still can't get over I actually have power, and never lost it, other then 2 flickers. Normally my power is the first to go, with thousands out around me, I'm really surprised I have it.

Where I live, I normally lose power during some winds out of the due south if they are strong enough. But it seems since Asphlunde or however its spelled did alot of tree pruning around here, I havent lost power.

I just want to thank Glenn Schwartz for mentioning us on NBC10 as many times as he did last night and this morning. You stayed up all night on the news keeping us informed and I think everyone in the area wants to thank you for that.

Thanks to all of you for your reports, pictures, and support. Wish I had access to data like this for the past 30+ years that I've been forecasting.

Glenn

Question for anyone in here...

I dont see the gusts really topping 60 mph at the Jersey Shore...but what kinda wind speeds does it take for the tops of 50 foot trees to be cheese grated?????

Leaves stripped of branches, branches ripped off...and several toppled over completely...

I am very curious as to what blew through Point Beach last night at 10:30-10:40...

There were numerous trees knocked down in a path and others untouched...

I was at Atlantic Ave and Route 35...all along atlantic there's a swath of trees that came down during that particular gust....

I called it in to NWS spotter hotline after it hit...

Just looking for some confirmation as to what I experienced...

I am very curious as to what blew through Point Beach last night at 10:30-10:40...

There was a tornado warning downstream of you just a little after that (down near Six Flags, etc.).

There are a couple (fir) trees here that had there tops taken off completely by straight winds from one our nor'easters this past winter... so if they're diseased, it's probably common.

I think once your pics get in and sent over to our fine mets here they'll be able to draw some firm conclusions.

Any word on what the roads are like around New Egypt? Still debating whether to go to NES tomorrow night or not.

There was a tornado warning downstream of you just a little after that (down near Six Flags, etc.).

There are a couple (fir) trees here that had there tops taken off completely by straight winds from one our nor'easters this past winter... so if they're diseased, it's probably common.

I think once your pics get in and sent over to our fine mets here they'll be able to draw some firm conclusions.

Any word on what the roads are like around New Egypt? Still debating whether to go to NES tomorrow night or not.

yeah but they didnt just get taken off, they went through a grater! NES is good...track was sealed tight..racing on...me, dont know 101 fever right now...

I wasn't shooting when the big gust hit...and I couldnt get pics...apparently my friend whose house I was staying at called the property owners "hostile" and warned I didnt go near it...

I did get some video of the "eye wall" doing a number on some of the remaining branches to a tree across the street at 630 am...

and police kicking off two jackass boogie boarders at 430 pm near the manasquan inlet....

yeah but they didnt just get taken off, they went through a grater! NES is good...track was sealed tight..racing on...me, dont know 101 fever right now...

I wasn't shooting when the big gust hit...and I couldnt get pics...apparently my friend whose house I was staying at called the property owners "hostile" and warned I didnt go near it...

I did get some video of the "eye wall" doing a number on some of the remaining branches to a tree across the street at 630 am...

and police kicking off two jackass boogie boarders at 430 pm near the manasquan inlet....

Need pictures to really have an idea of what you are describing. But I would suspect some kind of microscale spin-up, maybe a small tornado, based on what you describe.

Thanks to all of you for your reports, pictures, and support. Wish I had access to data like this for the past 30+ years that I've been forecasting.

Glenn

It was great seeing a little behind the scene's footage at the station. You have an incredible setup Glenn :).

Also loved seeing the model runs on air. It would be great to see them in the future during upcoming storms :snowman: .

Thanks for posting here.

My friend down in maryland was told that he wouldnt get power back until thursday or friday. But he ended up getting it back tonight. So thats something to think about it may just be a general statement for all customers hopefully you all get it back before your projected times.

Been on backup the last few days...not fun. Suppose to get power back hopefully on Wednesday. Their saying their having crews as far away as Kentucky coming up.

now to see what the reported gusts at mt pocono were..

Drove up from South Carolina yesterday and passed several convoys of electric company trucks from georgia and south carolina headed north.

Felt like giving them directions to my place. Fortunately, my power came on just before I got home. Power was off for 38hrs.

Power out since Sunday morning and not expected to be back for several days.

But this is what's driving me up the wall..

The live wire's been hanging low across the road the entire time, any car could easily hit it and yank it down or possibly get electrocuted in the process.

But according to PPL, we're low priority since the outage only affects a couple people on our street. I almost feel like going up there and fixin the damn thing by myself.

only wasted 18 gallons of generator gas so far..

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

1134 AM EDT WED AUG 31 2011

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR QUAKERTOWN (LEWES) IN SUSSEX COUNTY

DELAWARE...

LOCATION...QUAKERTOWN (LEWES) IN SUSSEX COUNTY DELAWARE

DATE...AUGUST 27, 2011

ESTIMATED TIME...6:38 PM EDT

MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF-1

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...95 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...80 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...0.75 MILES

BEGINNING LAT/LON...38.763N / 75.165W

ENDING LAT/LON...38.759N / 75.175W

* FATALITIES...0

* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN NWS

STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS CONFIRMED A

TORNADO NEAR QUAKERTOWN (LEWES) IN SUSSEX COUNTY DELAWARE ON AUGUST

27, 2011.

THIS TORNADO WAS EMBEDDED WITHIN CONVECTIVE BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH

HURRICANE IRENE, WHICH WAS MOVING NORTH ALONG THE COAST SATURDAY

EVENING AND CENTERED NEAR THE VIRGINIA/NORTH CAROLINA BORDER AT

THE TIME OF THIS EVENT. THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR THE EASTERN

END OF TRADEWINDS LANE, THEN MOVED IN A WESTERLY DIRECTION ALONG

TRADEWINDS LANE, CROSSING ROAD 269A BEFORE LIFTING AT CRAB APPLE

LANE.

NUMEROUS TREES WERE UPROOTED OR SNAPPED ALONG THIS PATH, AND NUMEROUS

HOMES EXPERIENCED SHINGLE DAMAGE IN BOTH THE TRADEWINDS AND NASSAU

STATION DEVELOPMENTS. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OCCURRED ON

CRAB APPLE LANE WHERE A HOUSE SUSTAINED SUBSTANTIAL ROOF AND

SHINGLE DAMAGE.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE APPRECIATES THE ASSISTANCE OF SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND THE SUSSEX COUNTY OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT FOR

PROVIDING INFORMATION FOR THIS SURVEY.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT

WEATHER.GOV/PHI.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO

THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.

EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.

EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.

EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.

EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.

EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

If interested, this morning we issued our preliminary post tropical cyclone report on Hurricane Irene. It is a rather lengthy product, and several staff members put a lot of work into gathering all of the information and entering it for this format.

http://www.weather.g...d=PSH&node=KPHI

Wow, very comprehensive, timely, and one for the archives! Thank you to all involved in putting this together. We all appreciate it.

If interested, this morning we issued our preliminary post tropical cyclone report on Hurricane Irene. It is a rather lengthy product, and several staff members put a lot of work into gathering all of the information and entering it for this format.

http://www.weather.g...d=PSH&node=KPHI

Another great report by NWS Mt.Holly.

Archived