Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Irene OBS / Discussion Thread

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if this is the right place or if people would know, but I found this comment interesting in an article about post-Irene power outages.

”JCP&L shut off the power at about 2 a.m. Sunday when basements were flooding,” the mayor said. “They did that because a basement electric panel box going underwater could start a fire.”

If that was the case, I'd expect the whole state to have had their power shut off. Would a power company cut off a whole town because some basements were flooding? The impact would be greater when the power is off and sump pumps would no longer function.

Article link: Too much water, too little light

Came down wildwood crest yesterday. No power loss for the storm which was good cause we had a freezer full of food that would have made our house smell rancid. Couple of the billboards were blown down or broke when coming down Rio Grande. Also the water did not make it past the first set of dunes other then funneling through the walk ways. The water barely even scrapped the main dunes. Not much other damage I could see, I mean it has been a weak but nothing really looked out of place down here.

Came down wildwood crest yesterday. No power loss for the storm which was good cause we had a freezer full of food that would have made our house smell rancid. Couple of the billboards were blown down or broke when coming down Rio Grande. Also the water did not make it past the first set of dunes other then funneling through the walk ways. The water barely even scrapped the main dunes. Not much other damage I could see, I mean it has been a weak but nothing really looked out of place down here.

Interesting, I just got a report from my in-laws who have a place in the Dagsboro/Bethany Beach, DE area and they told me that they were shocked by the lack of damage they have come across as well in terms of prop. damage and beach erosion.

Interesting, I just got a report from my in-laws who have a place in the Dagsboro/Bethany Beach, DE area and they told me that they were shocked by the lack of damage they have come across as well in terms of prop. damage and beach erosion.

I think Mt. Holly's storm report listed a storm surge of only 2-3 feet down that way? If so then it makes some sense that damage was limited. Generally, most coastal damage is from storm surge. I think the surge was higher as one went north along the Jersey shore due to the timing of the center's passage and the high tide.

I think Mt. Holly's storm report listed a storm surge of only 2-3 feet down that way? If so then it makes some sense that damage was limited. Generally, most coastal damage is from storm surge. I think the surge was higher as one went north along the Jersey shore due to the timing of the center's passage and the high tide.

Yup. Its just amazing a week ago the fears we had thinking about how bad things could have been. Glad it didn't turn out that way.....atleast for coastal DE and NJ. I'm not saying it wasn't bad. But I had some pretty dismal scenarios playing through my head for the sure locations.

Archived