Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
September Forecast Contest, Temperatures

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've looked up the "old" ("contest" or 1971-2000) and the "new" ("reported" or 1981-2010) normals for the remaining months, so that I can adjust the reported values to contest-friendly values. If I remember, look for these in the Oct, Nov and Dec contest threads at some early stage if you want to factor them into your forecasts.

For September (too late now) the contest normals with updated in brackets are:

DCA ... 70.5 (71.0)

NYC ... 67.5 (68.0)

BOS ... 64.7 (64.9)

In other words, this month, we should be adding half a degree to the reported anomalies for DCA and NYC, and 0.2 for BOS, to convert them to "contest-friendly" values. (when I say add half a degree, I mean adjust by +0.5 incl negatives).

Just looking at October to December, Boston normals have generally gone down very slightly in the range of 0.1-0.2. NYC has a larger set of increases (0.3, 0.6, 0.2) and DCA even larger (0.7, 0.9, 0.2). I guess this is what happens when you boot 1972 and 1976 out of the data set.

Looking at this month so far, factoring in today's rather warm readings, looks as though we have +(2 to 3) type anomalies on the go, but I won't bother reporting these in detail until at least the 10th and perhaps closer to mid-month. When I do report them, unlike my previous submissions since the reports changed to 81-10 normals, I will present them in contest-friendly format (adjusted then reported).

I've looked up the "old" ("contest" or 1971-2000) and the "new" ("reported" or 1981-2010) normals for the remaining months, so that I can adjust the reported values to contest-friendly values. If I remember, look for these in the Oct, Nov and Dec contest threads at some early stage if you want to factor them into your forecasts.

For September (too late now) the contest normals with updated in brackets are:

DCA ... 70.5 (71.0)

NYC ... 67.5 (68.0)

BOS ... 64.7 (64.9)

In other words, this month, we should be adding half a degree to the reported anomalies for DCA and NYC, and 0.2 for BOS, to convert them to "contest-friendly" values. (when I say add half a degree, I mean adjust by +0.5 incl negatives).

Just looking at Oct, Nov and Dec, Boston normals have all gone up by a mere 0.1 each month in the recent updates. NYC has a larger increase (0.3, 0.6, 0.2) and DCA even larger (0.7, 0.9, 0.2). I guess this is what happens when you boot 1972 and 1976 out of the data set.

Looking at this month so far, factoring in today's rather warm readings, looks as though we have +(2 to 3) type anomalies on the go, but I won't bother reporting these in detail until at least the 10th and perhaps closer to mid-month. When I do report them, unlike my previous submissions since the reports changed to 81-10 normals, I will present them in contest-friendly format (adjusted then reported).

if you add up and divide the last 30 years (1981-2010) September averaged 68.4 in NYC...

Sure, here's an update, the cool spell has taken its toll. See my previous posts for the reason for the two reports.

after 18 days anomalies were:

DCA ... -1.2 ... (-1.7)

NYC ... +0.5 ... (0.0)

BOS ... +0.3 ... (+0.1)

If you want a link, go to the main NWS site and then click on "data by state" choose your state of interest and find the link for climate data. The updates appear there daily usually before 0600 Eastern time.

Bump....Hey Mallow, can you put up your spreadsheet summary? Thanks!

This.

-----

The warmer forecasts are looking nice :) Looks like some solid aboves for all three cities through mid-week next week before the cut-off low pushes through. DCA colder than most stations in the area (by about half a degree or more), but if it finishes positive I can't complain much.

Looks like we might have a warm finish with BOS around +2 and NYC around +1.5. DCA probably in the 0 to +0.5 range (using contest normals).

This.

-----

The warmer forecasts are looking nice :) Looks like some solid aboves for all three cities through mid-week next week before the cut-off low pushes through. DCA colder than most stations in the area (by about half a degree or more), but if it finishes positive I can't complain much.

Looks like we might have a warm finish with BOS around +2 and NYC around +1.5. DCA probably in the 0 to +0.5 range (using contest normals).

Haven't looked elsewhere, but DCA is definitely going to be helped up by the warm overnight lows with this wet setup.

I think I'd be pretty happy if this were my forecast.

DCA: +0.8

NYC: +1.2

BOS: +1.5

From now to end of month, my reports will be only for "contest" anomalies (see previous posts for background).

With the colder spell ended and a return to muted warmth, after 21 days these were:

DCA -1.2

NYC +0.2

BOS 0.0

Today looks +5 or so, would expect end of day to be about -1, +0.4, +0.2

Will report again on Monday for 25 days.

Update for contest anomalies through 25 days ...

DCA -0.3

NYC +1.6

BOS +1.4

today should boost these all by 0.3-0.4.

---------------------- -------------- -----------

For anyone planning their October forecasts, here are the contest "differentials" that will apply to the 81-10 normals.

DCA add 0.7, NYC add 0.3, BOS -0.1 (for BOS the 71-00 normals were actually higher by 0.1)

Or if you want to go from actual values, these were the 71-00 normals:

DCA 58.8

NYC 56.6

BOS 54.1

These are approximate due to NWS website chaos over the weekend (I gather it is short term pain for long term gain). I was hoping to get the accurate figures but all links seem broken at the moment.

Final figures may be slightly different, this is what I saw for DCA and NYC and estimated for BOS some time around 0300 Saturday before the links closed down. I am going on memory for DCA and NYC, and the estimate for BOS including the daily for the 30th applied to the table through 29th. Not sure why BOS updates later than everyone else in the northeast?

0.7, 2.5, 2.5 (relative to contest 1971-2000 normals) or 0.2, 2.0, 2.3 new style.

could be 0.1 out on those, but you can get a pretty good idea of how your forecast came out from those.

Archived