• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Florida drought now threatens to drain WPB's water supply

The drought in Florida, particularly south Florida is reaching a new level, a major city is now threatened with the possibility of running out of water. An emergency declaration has been declared for the city.

http://www.wptv.com/...health%E2%80%99

West Palm Beach water could run out in weeks; ’significant threat exists to the public’s health’

San Antonio, Texas is a couple of weeks from banning all outdoor watering as the Edwards (porous limestone formation underground) drops to preilous levels,

A major city with dead lawns.

Unfortunately, I think, there's a good chance that they will. Pattern is so bad for significant rain. Other cities will be threatened with upgrades in the water restriction also.

San Antonio, Texas is a couple of weeks from banning all outdoor watering as the Edwards (porous limestone formation underground) drops to preilous levels,

A major city with dead lawns.

which is a significant reason why the situations there and in Florida, to name two, is so bad. People want that nice green lawn with lush landscaping in areas that can not sustain with continued growth w/o restrictions and/or broadening resources. A big point for Florida is people want cheap water rates and want more, but refuse to pay the higher costs that would come in the short-term from constructing desalnation plants. I'm sure Texas could do the same and building a large network os pipes and pumps to get the water further inland to places like San Antonio and Austin.

I think people are counting on tropical season to end, or at least alleviate, the major drought in Texas this Summer, but we don't get a TC each season, and if we don't, and the big ridge of death stays planted firmly overhead, I think we'll need a major ENSO state change and a change of seasons to get anywhere near normal rainfall, and might need a TC in 2012 or 2013 to completely refill the acquifers and reservoirs.

The models keep suggesting the ridge will break down in 10 to 14 days, but they have been doing that for weeks, always 10 to 14 days away, and it hasn't really happened yet.

which is a significant reason why the situations there and in Florida, to name two, is so bad. People want that nice green lawn with lush landscaping in areas that can not sustain with continued growth w/o restrictions and/or broadening resources. A big point for Florida is people want cheap water rates and want more, but refuse to pay the higher costs that would come in the short-term from constructing desalnation plants. I'm sure Texas could do the same and building a large network os pipes and pumps to get the water further inland to places like San Antonio and Austin.

I can't speak for other areas of Florida but in my neck of the woods we use reclaimed water to water the lawns.

From the ocean? Or you mean reclaimed from your used house water?

At our house we use lake water for watering the lawn.

My sister lives in Coral Springs. She uses reclaimed water from the house. I live in an apartment complex. I'm 99% sure it's reclaimed as well. I don't have a water bill, it comes w/ the rent.

the pattern has been extemely persistent with low pressure over the western atlantic killing rain chances in much of florida. i imagine we need the bermuda high to appear and get a moist se flow over florida.

Actually, we have a very unstable and moist SW flow right now which is typical of late May and early June. This is the pattern that is more typical for this time of year. We've had a very strong high pressure area in the mid/upper levels over the southern U.S. more or less since February which has been the main reason we've been so dry. However, it looks like typical June weather is starting to arrive.

Oh I'm sure, but amongst Tropical Storms (not Tropical Cyclones) you must agree that it was impressive, no?

For the Miami area, definitely not impressive. Real tropical storms bring much higher winds, and have well-defined bands and even an inner-core, rather than a blob of rain with some gusts in it.

It was impressive for a time up near Lake O though.

I have never watered my lawn in any of the three locations I have lived. I do not believe in it. It is a huge waste. I just want some love from Mom Nature. I have some nice landscaping in a small scale and water that by hand twice a week during tough stretches but I never water the lawn. It ALWAYS comes back with some good rainfall!

I have never watered my lawn in any of the three locations I have lived. I do not believe in it. It is a huge waste. I just want some love from Mom Nature. I have some nice landscaping and water that by hand from time to time but I never water the lawn. It ALWAYS comes back with some good rainfall!

Yea I never got the whole idea of watering your lawn. Who cares? It's grass and it's dry. Guess what? It's going to look brown from time to time.

I think people are counting on tropical season to end, or at least alleviate, the major drought in Texas this Summer, but we don't get a TC each season, and if we don't, and the big ridge of death stays planted firmly overhead, I think we'll need a major ENSO state change and a change of seasons to get anywhere near normal rainfall, and might need a TC in 2012 or 2013 to completely refill the acquifers and reservoirs.

The models keep suggesting the ridge will break down in 10 to 14 days, but they have been doing that for weeks, always 10 to 14 days away, and it hasn't really happened yet.

As long as the -AO stays put, I'll be wary of any break of the ridging.

Archived