• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Florida drought now threatens to drain WPB's water supply

Yea I never got the whole idea of watering your lawn. Who cares? It's grass and it's dry. Guess what? It's going to look brown from time to time.

the grass can fry, I'd rather keep palms and shrubbery watered, twice a week at most.

Not to mention all these massive subdivisions with HOA's that will get in your ass basically over your grass drying out is a big problem. Using reclaimed water, desalnation, and large rain collection tanks are the way people need to go.

the grass can fry, I'd rather keep palms and shrubbery watered, twice a week at most.

Not to mention all these massive subdivisions with HOA's that will get in your ass basically over your grass drying out is a big problem. Using reclaimed water, desalnation, and large rain collection tanks are the way people need to go.

HOA's are a huge problem in FL. For many many reasons. I will never even entertain the idea of living in a HOA community in this state.

HOA's are a huge problem in FL. For many many reasons. I will never even entertain the idea of living in a HOA community in this state.

Yup, old people with nothing better to do are incredibly mean to their neighbors. If you give them some power, everyone involved gets screwed.

We have this guy on our street who prowls around for minor violations, and then calls the city. lol

Yup, old people with nothing better to do are incredibly mean to their neighbors. If you give them some power, everyone involved gets screwed.

We have this guy on our street who prowls around for minor violations, and then calls the city. lol

I agree with you 100%, I also have a few old farts in my area who think they are Starsky and Hutch.

related to the drought is the incredible heatwave gripping the state, with this dropping today.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL

327 PM EDT WED JUN 15 2011

...NEW ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET FOR TALLAHASSEE...

AT 307 PM EDT...THE TALLAHASSEE REGIONAL AIRPORT RECORDED A HIGH

TEMPERATURE OF 105 DEGREES. THIS TEMPERATURE BREAKS THE PREVIOUS ALL

TIME HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORD FOR TALLAHASSEE...WHICH WAS 104 DEGREES

SET MOST RECENTLY ON JUNE 20TH 1933. THE PERIOD OF RECORD FOR

TALLAHASSEE DATES BACK TO 1892.

related to the drought is the incredible heatwave gripping the state, with this dropping today.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL

327 PM EDT WED JUN 15 2011

...NEW ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET FOR TALLAHASSEE...

AT 307 PM EDT...THE TALLAHASSEE REGIONAL AIRPORT RECORDED A HIGH

TEMPERATURE OF 105 DEGREES. THIS TEMPERATURE BREAKS THE PREVIOUS ALL

TIME HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORD FOR TALLAHASSEE...WHICH WAS 104 DEGREES

SET MOST RECENTLY ON JUNE 20TH 1933. THE PERIOD OF RECORD FOR

TALLAHASSEE DATES BACK TO 1892.

Meh. It's hot but nothing spectacular. Florida is hot. My car thermometer was at 109 this afternoon. There were spells last summer that were hotter.

Meh. It's hot but nothing spectacular. Florida is hot. My car thermometer was at 109 this afternoon. There were spells last summer that were hotter.

yeah, that's a VEHICLE thermometer which is over pavement/concrete so you're going to get some seriously skewed numbers. Florida can get hot, yes, but this streak has been pretty ridiculous and not every day a FL city sets a new all-time high temp, especially one that dates back 78 years.

yeah, that's a VEHICLE thermometer which is over pavement/concrete so you're going to get some seriously skewed numbers. Florida can get hot, yes, but this streak has been pretty ridiculous and not every day a FL city sets a new all-time high temp, especially one that dates back 78 years.

I understand that. But Florida people are used to the heat. Trust me, today was just another day. It was hot, but so is every other day down here. Record highs in the middle of June are not a big deal. Now if it's 105 for 2 or 3 weeks straight w/o any rain, then OK, we can talk.

It's like Barrow, AK having a record low in January. Yea it's cold, but it's not that much colder than what they are used to.

100 degree days are NOT common in South FL and I was shocked to learn before I moved here that the all time record high in PSL where I live was 97 or 98 degrees. A quick search on Miami via Wiki says all time record high is 98. (Sorry, don't bash me for checking Wiki real quick) I mean, having lived on the Jersey Shore for 40 years it was not uncommon to get some mean heat waves filled with days that the birds did not even fly. Days of 110 degree temps. However, that was relativley short lived ( three weeks at most in upper 90's with those scorching days in the upper 100's) Here in FL, the humidity / dewpoints with a real tropical flavor come late spring and all summer will just drive you nuts with how consistent it is once the rainy season sets in. THAT is the big difference even though actual temps don't go crazy. Just muggy as all get out for a few months plus. I was worried that I would not like it as it is in my DNA to sweat like a sprinkler head. Well, turns out I love it!

Bare feet is natures air conditioner. :thumbsup: I never wear any type of footware besides flip flops when not working.

I understand that. But Florida people are used to the heat. Trust me, today was just another day. It was hot, but so is every other day down here. Record highs in the middle of June are not a big deal. Now if it's 105 for 2 or 3 weeks straight w/o any rain, then OK, we can talk.

It's like Barrow, AK having a record low in January. Yea it's cold, but it's not that much colder than what they are used to.

If Minneapolis set their all-time record low temperature, the media would be out of control. I can't even imagine what a 109° would do here in DC. All-time records are, in Biden's words, a BFD.

100 degree days are NOT common in South FL and I was shocked to learn before I moved here that the all time record high in PSL where I live was 97 or 98 degrees. A quick search on Miami via Wiki says all time record high is 98. (Sorry, don't bash me for checking Wiki real quick) I mean, having lived on the Jersey Shore for 40 years it was not uncommon to get some mean heat waves filled with days that the birds did not even fly. Days of 110 degree temps. However, that was relativley short lived ( three weeks at most in upper 90's with those scorching days in the upper 100's) Here in FL, the humidity / dewpoints with a real tropical flavor come late spring and all summer will just drive you nuts with how consistent it is once the rainy season sets in. THAT is the big difference even though actual temps don't go crazy. Just muggy as all get out for a few months plus. I was worried that I would not like it as it is in my DNA to sweat like a sprinkler head. Well, turns out I love it!

Bare feet is natures air conditioner. :thumbsup: I never wear any type of footware besides flip flops when not working.

Being at the end of a peninsula, it is hard for Miami to get either excessively hot or excessively cold. The hottest wind direction for Miami would probably be from the North, which isn't intuitive.

When did that happen? Looks like New Jersey's state high temperature record is 110 set back in 1936, so I can't see getting close to 110 something that ever occurred with any sort of regularity. In fact, just breaking 100 once in a summer is a relatively infrequent occurrence on the Jersey Shore, let alone consecutive days or weeks. For example, the average number of 100+ days per year in ACY is 0.2 with an average of 17.7 days at or above 90. The highest temp as far as I can tell for ACY is 106 set back on 6/28/1969. Did you mean heat index temperature?

If Minneapolis set their all-time record low temperature, the media would be out of control. I can't even imagine what a 109° would do here in DC. All-time records are, in Biden's words, a BFD.

I understand that. I'm just pointing out the Florida is always hot in the summer so when there is a record high it's not really that big of a deal to residents because it's always hot here.

Like you said, in Minneapolis the media would be out of control. I doubt a lot of people in Florida other than weather nerds are even aware of a record being broke this week.

I understand that. I'm just pointing out the Florida is always hot in the summer so when there is a record high it's not really that big of a deal to residents because it's always hot here.

Like you said, in Minneapolis the media would be out of control. I doubt a lot of people in Florida other than weather nerds are even aware of a record being broke this week.

Your right, it''s been hot for awhile now. When we set a record high in Lakeland the other day, it was no big deal, it didn't feel any different then the last 6 weeks.:lol:

Yup, it really is just another day here when we have record heat. The heat index exceeds 100° F almost everyday in the summer at my home.

When did that happen? Looks like New Jersey's state high temperature record is 110 set back in 1936, so I can't see getting close to 110 something that ever occurred with any sort of regularity. In fact, just breaking 100 once in a summer is a relatively infrequent occurrence on the Jersey Shore, let alone consecutive days or weeks. For example, the average number of 100+ days per year in ACY is 0.2 with an average of 17.7 days at or above 90. The highest temp as far as I can tell for ACY is 106 set back on 6/28/1969. Did you mean heat index temperature?

yeah, my bad. I was thinking heat indicies. The "feel like" temps. We would get some crazy days in NJ during our 2-3 week heat waves when actual temps were mid 90's and up.

This is only my second full summer here but you are right, nobody down here pays any attention to high temps. Hot and muggy is hot and muggy. When it happens for 5-6 months straight there is no novelty about it.

One of the good things about Texas, as compared to Florida, even here in Houston, at least during the Spring months, less so in Summer when deep layer flow goes Easterly, we may have mid 70s dewpoints first thing in the morning in May or June, I saw CRP was pushing 80ºF for Td a few times last month, but with solid mixing, we can get dewpoints down to the lower 60s, so humidity isn't an issue.

Our Td was 76ºF this morning, and has already mixed down to 71ºF and will probably be in the mid 60s during peak heating.

Florida has a better shot at a serious drought ending tropical cyclone this season, but neither Texas nor Florida is guaranteed a TC, and I still suspect in Houston, anyway, we'll be waiting for an ENSO change to really change the pattern.

This is only my second full summer here but you are right, nobody down here pays any attention to high temps. Hot and muggy is hot and muggy. When it happens for 5-6 months straight there is no novelty about it.

Agreed, People take more notice when we break a record cold temperature because we aren't used to the cold.:snowman:

Archived