• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part II

It looks like rainstorm will need to worry about something else. That W Atlantic low is becoming a memory only to be replaced by a strengthening Bermuda High...

we can only hope that occurs. its been a really long time since a west atlantic ridge locked in and stayed locked during cane season. the last several cane seasons we have had a bermuda low, not high. i hope this isnt just a pause between troughs and its a real pattern reversal.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like rainstorm will need to worry about something else. That W Atlantic low is becoming a memory only to be replaced by a strengthening Bermuda High...

Maybe its because I have a Charley fetish, but anyway, while its early in the season, that sure does look interesting.

An MJO wave will move thru the basin around the 20th or so, according to the models. Not sure about the strength of the wave, but around that date would be my guess for possible cyclogenesis.

You referring to the UK and Brazil solutions? The ECMWF and GFS don't agree. The speed in which the waves have been coming lately, I can see why you would say June 20th.

You referring to the UK and Brazil solutions? The ECMWF and GFS don't agree. The speed in which the waves have been coming lately, I can see why you would say June 20th.

So when do you think our first really favorable upward motion will reach the Caribbean?

I've noticed the really fast phase speed as well... are the wavelengths shorter than usual or is it something else I am missing?

Mainly the UK ... I just saw the Euro and see it doesn't agree... I have seen that the GFS is inferior to the UKie most of the time. I have never seen the Brazil's forecasts, any good?

WRT the speed of the waves, yeah, I have noted that the last few cycles aren't the classical 40 days return period, that's why I gave the Ukie a bit more of credence.

I've noticed the really fast phase speed as well... are the wavelengths shorter than usual or is it something else I am missing?

When you say shorter wavelengths, are you referring to the Mid Latitude jet streams (in either hemisphere)?

Mainly the UK ... I just saw the Euro and see it doesn't agree... I have seen that the GFS is inferior to the UKie most of the time. I have never seen the Brazil's forecasts, any good?

WRT the speed of the waves, yeah, I have noted that the last few cycles aren't the classical 40 days return period, that's why I gave the Ukie a bit more of credence.

Agreed that the GFS sucks. The Brazil forecast is the CPTC forecast and I'm not quite sure if it is more accurate than the UK.

My guess is the faster speeds are due to the stratospheric setup I was talking about in the ENSO thread.

When you say shorter wavelengths, are you referring to the Mid Latitude jet streams (in either hemisphere)?

Nope, but that was because I forgot what the phase speed was for Kelvin waves (which may not be a correct assumption anyway - most of the literature compares the MJO to Kelvin waves despite the shallow water equations not predicting its existence). For those of you keeping score at home, the phase speed of a Kelvin wave is (gH)^.5. If that is the case, does that imply that the phase speed is faster because the total column is warmer? And is that related to your cold stratosphere hypothesis?

EDIT: Oh.

My guess is the faster speeds are due to the stratospheric setup I was talking about in the ENSO thread.

we can only hope that occurs. its been a really long time since a west atlantic ridge locked in and stayed locked during cane season. the last several cane seasons we have had a bermuda low, not high. i hope this isnt just a pause between troughs and its a real pattern reversal.

The 1950's where east coast and 1960's more gulf coast. The 1990's more east coast, while again the 2000's where more gulf again. Repeat again and again. The 2010's could be east coast??? Maybe there is a long term pattern.

Not there yet buddy... It's only June. :arrowhead:

That could be the wave the Euro takes towards the Caribbean in 8 days. Euro looks pretty hostile for anything to develop in most of the Caribbean, but that could wind up being Beatriz or Calvin in about 2 weeks.

That could be the wave the Euro takes towards the Caribbean in 8 days. Euro looks pretty hostile for anything to develop in most of the Caribbean, but that could wind up being Beatriz or Calvin in about 2 weeks.

The 12Z GFS is sniffing this as well...

post-32-0-96682100-1307550069.gif

In other news... maybe the NAM isn't so crazy after all... the latest 12z GFS is jumping on board having a semi-tropical system off the eastern seaboard in what evolves from ex 94L in the next couple of days? Whatever occurs, its looks like it will be highly sheared, and I'm getting the impression that we will be dealing with a hybrid type system, since there will be some interaction between the TUTT and the tropical disturbance. The gfs shows this with a very large radius of max winds indicating that whatever we are dealing with won't be fully tropical in nature.

124zepf.gif

50 knots winds aloft though certainly don't look favorable for fully tropical development.

2ecj582.gif

In other news... maybe the NAM isn't so crazy after all... the latest 12z GFS is jumping on board having a semi-tropical system off the eastern seaboard in what evolves from ex 94L in the next couple of days? Whatever occurs, its looks like it will be highly sheared, and I'm getting the impression that we will be dealing with a hybrid type system, since there will be some interaction between the TUTT and the tropical disturbance. The gfs shows this with a very large radius of max winds indicating that whatever we are dealing with won't be fully tropical in nature.

50 knots winds aloft though certainly don't look favorable for fully tropical development.

So, the upgrades to the NAM model means its ok for tropical use?

:whistle:

im hoping for an injection of tropical moisture into our stalled front. i want some flooding.

I can't be there, but I want the first AmWx conference to be the most memorable ever, with an early season CV Bertha storm, preferablly travelling up the West side of the Chesapeake.

And I want Josh and the MA people's to have deep discussions as to whether Hurricane Arlene or Bret is still a purely tropical cyclone as the lights go out in the hotel, and everyone sings old spiritual songs by candlelight.

That's bad news for hurricane lovers....shear and upwelling due to the LLJ in the Caribbean...though it's expected at this point in the season.

Yup.

240 Euro looks like typical early Summer, strong low level Easterlies in the Caribbean, meaning low level divergence and increased shear, ie, why the Central Caribbean is usually hostile early in the season.

Its normal.

Back when I used to read JB, and it seems logical, near time of max insolation, the South American landmass warms up faster than the surrounding water and produced a heat low, with Easterlies North of it. I believe it was the reason for the John Hope Rule, not 100% reliable, but usually pretty good, especially before late August, if a system isn't already a TD before crossing the Lesser Antilles, it won't become a TD until it reaches the Western Caribbean. In 2003, Claudette almost died crossing that part of the Caribbean, before making something of a comeback in the Gulf. Obviously, strong systems passing the islands don't follow the John Hope Rule.

Verbatim, that is a Texas/New Mexico thread item showing an improved chance of rain towards weekend after next.

But its June, and I am an optimist by nature. Since the Euro has been semi-lame this year, even with my natural eternal optimism, I can only go Glass 1/8th full on meaningful rain with the potential Euro system.

The happy news, the GFS ensembles at Hour 240 show a weakness in the ridge in the general vicinity the Euro does, and with fairly good member agreement. And the Gulf is warm enough, maybe a surface reflection will develop.

looks like the east coast trough is going to get even stronger. anyone have any idea when dt, and jb's west atlantic ridge will finally form?

Archived