• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Indiana breaks state record for number of tornadoes

Hoosier

I've counted 50 confirmed/surveyed tornadoes so far this year but surveys of Wednesday's damage are still ongoing. That would break the old record of 49.

That is a lot of tornadoes to pack into a state of this size and we're not even into June yet.

It has been an active time. In the past 7 months, there have been 3 outbreaks that produced at least 10 tornadoes (10/26/10, 4/19/11 and 5/25/11)...and I can't find any cluster like that in the historical record. Of course we have better detection nowadays which plays a role.

another

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY

1136 AM CDT SAT MAY 28 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0527 PM TORNADO 10 SE PATTON 38.37N 87.62W

05/25/2011 GIBSON IN NWS STORM SURVEY

STORM SURVEY REVEALED AN EF1 TORNADO THAT STARTED JUST

SOUTH OF MARQUAND IN MADISON COUNTY AND MOVED TO JUST

WEST OF ALLIANCE IN BOLLINGER COUNTY. SEE PUBLIC

INFORMATION STATEMENT FOR DETAILS.

There has to be some sort of error in this survey location. Sounds like Missouri counties west of Cape Girardeau.

yep......it is an error the public info statement says MO

There is no Bollinger county in Indiana. There is no Patton, IN either. Where in Gibson county IN are they saying this tornado hit? The error is that they listed Gibson County IN. This is an EF-1 tornado that happened in MO and not IN.

LMK had a statement up earlier this month stating that we had a record number of tornadoes in April for their CWA (37). That number was higher than the previous record for the entire year(30 in 2008). At the time of that writing we were up to 44 for the year, I'm not sure how many have been added since, if any.

edit: I guess we added at least 5 from 5-27.

Hoosier, I was wondering where you got your stats. This was posted on IND's web site this AM:

May Indiana Tornado Stats

Preliminary tornado statistics for May 2011 reveal there were 24 tornadoes across Indiana...7 of which occured across Central Indiana...all on May 25th. The average annual number of tornadoes across Indiana from 1950-2010 is 23.4 and the average for May is 3.8. For comparison...an average of 4.9 occur in April...and June has the highest monthly average of 5.4. So 14.1 out of the annual average of 23.4 occur from the months of April through June. The month of June also contains the largest single month of any month for tornadoes which was 1990 when 63 occured. The following are some of the other big months and number of tornadoes:

1 - June 1990 - 63

2 - April 1974 - 57

3 - May 2004 - 31

4 - April 1965 - 30

5 - June 1973 - 30

Finally, here are the average annual tornadoes across Indiana by decade:

2000's - 26.9

1990's - 27.1

1980's - 15.7

1970's - 27.9

1960's - 24.9

1950's - 17.2

Hoosier, I was wondering where you got your stats. This was posted on IND's web site this AM:

May Indiana Tornado Stats

Preliminary tornado statistics for May 2011 reveal there were 24 tornadoes across Indiana...7 of which occured across Central Indiana...all on May 25th. The average annual number of tornadoes across Indiana from 1950-2010 is 23.4 and the average for May is 3.8. For comparison...an average of 4.9 occur in April...and June has the highest monthly average of 5.4. So 14.1 out of the annual average of 23.4 occur from the months of April through June. The month of June also contains the largest single month of any month for tornadoes which was 1990 when 63 occured. The following are some of the other big months and number of tornadoes:

1 - June 1990 - 63

2 - April 1974 - 57

3 - May 2004 - 31

4 - April 1965 - 30

5 - June 1973 - 30

Finally, here are the average annual tornadoes across Indiana by decade:

2000's - 26.9

1990's - 27.1

1980's - 15.7

1970's - 27.9

1960's - 24.9

1950's - 17.2

I haven't seen anything about this year's total yet. I am keeping track on my own...not prelims which aren't surveyed or don't turn out to be true. I have 54 tornadoes with ratings, although I recently discovered that I may be off by 1 since it appears that one of them on 2/28 had 2 segments but was counted as 1 tornado even though there was a brief break. We will have a definitive answer when all this gets entered into Storm Data.

At first I wasn't sure why they had different numbers but I think I know what they did. The NCDC Storm Event Database lists or used to list tornadoes by each county segment, which results in an inflated number when you have the same tornado crossing county boundaries. The way to get around this is to plot the paths in a program like severeplot and count how many unique paths there are.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

953 AM EDT THU JUN 09 2011

..REMARKS..

0920 PM TORNADO 2 NW TERRE HAUTE 39.49N 87.41W

05/25/2011 VIGO IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF1 IN MARION HEIGHTS NW OF TERRE HAUTE. LENGTH 0.4

MILES, WIDTH 100 YDS, 920PM-921PM

0938 PM TORNADO N BRIDGETON 39.65N 87.18W

05/25/2011 PARKE IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF0 FROM 938PM TO 939PM PATH 0.4 MILES LONG BY 30 YD WIDE

ALONG CREEK.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

953 AM EDT THU JUN 09 2011

..REMARKS..

0920 PM TORNADO 2 NW TERRE HAUTE 39.49N 87.41W

05/25/2011 VIGO IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF1 IN MARION HEIGHTS NW OF TERRE HAUTE. LENGTH 0.4

MILES, WIDTH 100 YDS, 920PM-921PM

0938 PM TORNADO N BRIDGETON 39.65N 87.18W

05/25/2011 PARKE IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF0 FROM 938PM TO 939PM PATH 0.4 MILES LONG BY 30 YD WIDE

ALONG CREEK.

Had you already counted these Hoosier? I thought since it was posted today you may not have them in your data base..If so I will delete these two posts....

That is an impressive amount of tornadoes for the year for Indiana.

It seems like since I left Indiana in 87, that the number of tornadoes per year has increased. I don't know if I am just a curse or if it is the weather conditions. LOL!

That is an impressive amount of tornadoes for the year for Indiana.

It seems like since I left Indiana in 87, that the number of tornadoes per year has increased. I don't know if I am just a curse or if it is the weather conditions. LOL!

There were some down years in the '80's. There've been some down years lately too but some active ones also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

April Storm Data is in. There were some changes with the 4/19-4/20 outbreak which I will post about on my blog, but the number of tornadoes for that date has increased to 29. There were also a few tornadoes in late April that I didn't have in my original tally. The bottom line is that the new total is up to 69 (May/June still preliminary).

• 3 months later...

Chicago Storm inspired me to do a detailed breakdown lol

There are 2 tornadoes that crossed CWA boundaries, 1 in May which moved from LMK into IND and 1 in June which moved from PAH into LMK. I gave each CWA a half point for those tornadoes in order to have a consistent total, but obviously in reality IND has had 18, LMK 30 and PAH 11.

August/September are preliminary

post-14-0-18160400-1319682653.png

• 1 month later...

Nevermind. The one I am thinking of was in 2010.

Star Press - Muncie, Ind.

Date: Jun 7, 2010 Start Page: n/a Section: NEWS Text Word Count: 248

Abstract (Document Summary)

A small funnel cloud reportedly touched down about 7 p.m. near Ind. 32 and Andrews Road in Yorktown, and a few minutes later near the state highway's intersection with Proctor Road, just east of the former BorgWarner plant.

• 2 weeks later...
We rechecked the numbers and we were in error. The Indiana Tornado Blog is correct with a total number of 72, and I have adjusted the annual climate summary. I'm not sure where the discrepancy developed on our end, but I think we missed counting a few tornadoes in other parts of the state during the second half of the year. Our apologies, and thanks to you and your colleagues for bringing this to our attention.

Happy New Year!

Mike Ryan

NWS IND

Archived