• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Indiana breaks state record for number of tornadoes

Hoosier

Heartiest congrats for your statistical work that proved to be quite helpful for the NWS in tallying the correct number of tornadoes in our state in a record year.  We must be the LEWP tornado capital of the Midwest if not the country,

We're pretty high in terms of tornadoes from linear type events although the studies that I've seen are fairly limited.

Heartiest congrats for your statistical work that proved to be quite helpful for the NWS in tallying the correct number of tornadoes in our state in a record year. We must be the LEWP tornado capital of the Midwest if not the country,

I second this. Way to go Ryan. Also, good job Jim for contacting NWS and thankfully they set the record straight. Hey, the mets at IND now know about your blog, so maybe they will use it from here on out for quality control concerning tornados. :)

Also, some of our tornados defy classifying. For example, the little tiny dot in Huntington County on your map represents an F-0 that I witnessed. I headed down that way for a look because of the unusual radar signature I was seeing. The storm was part of a broken line exrtending north from my location. The southernmost cell really didn't exhibit supercell characteristics, although there was some small hail with it. It was just kind of an appendage extending out from the southern part of the storm as it moved due east.

Radar grabs just before it touched down.

post-830-0-02331200-1325673892.jpg

post-830-0-03183900-1325673905.jpg

Archived