Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: OBS 12/1-12/14

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out on the road in Egg Harbor and Galloway townships (Atlantic Co) right when the front with its associated storms and heavy rain hit. It was insane- between the wind and heavy rain, visibility dropped to near zero several times, with flooded roads and debris blowing all over. Within about 30 mins temps fell from the low 60s to 50, and then suddenly, as quick as the brunt of the rain came, skies cleared, and temps fell another quick 10 degrees to near 40. Its now 38.4.

My brother drove from Stockton back home to Toms River and was caught up in the storms this afternoon-he stated a lot of cars kept getting pushed around because of the wind and then there was a few spinouts around mile marker 80 on the Garden State Parkway.

When the storms hit we dropped 10 degrees in less than half an hour. It's 39 at MJX right now....the DP is still dropping so I still think low 20s is a safe bet for an overnight low.

My brother drove from Stockton back home to Toms River and was caught up in the storms this afternoon-he stated a lot of cars kept getting pushed around because of the wind and then there was a few spinouts around mile marker 80 on the Garden State Parkway.

When the storms hit we dropped 10 degrees in less than half an hour. It's 39 at MJX right now....the DP is still dropping so I still think low 20s is a safe bet for an overnight low.

I was right at Stockton too, Jimmie Leeds and Pomona Rd were both really bad... except right at the new light for Stockton, lol, the drainage system appears to work!

One key to a quick drop though is calm winds, without calm winds I don't see it going that low- at least here. Tomorrow night and the next few will be a different story.

I was right at Stockton too, Jimmie Leeds and Pomona Rd were both really bad... except right at the new light for Stockton, lol, the drainage system appears to work!

One key to a quick drop though is calm winds, without calm winds I don't see it going that low- at least here. Tomorrow night and the next few will be a different story.

My brother goes home Pomona Rd and he left around 1:30 so he was on the Parkway as the storms hit. I did see the traffic lights though last week on the way to my grandma's house. :lol:

I am thinking the winds will be a little lighter than progged tonight though.

Rainfall... these have not been QC'd

TTN 1.60

DYL 1.41

PNE 1.18

NXX 1.35

WRI 1.23

VAY 1.35

SMQ 1.70

LOM 1.10

NEL 1.10

UKT 0.93

PHL 1.09

MJX 1.07

BLM 0.35

PTW 1.32

ABE 1.73

EWR 1.13

CDW 1.99

12N 2.09

TEB 1.23

NYC 1.29

ACY 1.06

ILG 0.95

LGA 1.33

MQS 2.15

JFK 0.99

RDG 1.06

MIV 0.80

MPO 4.08

FWN 1.48

LNS 1.20

HPN 1.59

FRG 1.07

DOV 0.64

AVP 1.48

WWD 0.27

MGJ 1.22

MUI 1.11

ISP 1.09

GED 0.46

Peak wind gusts from yesterday's storm:

TTN - 41 mph

DYL - 37 mph

PNE - 41 mph

NXX - 39 mph

WRI - 47 mph

VAY - 43 mph

SMQ - 43 mph

LOM - 41 mph

NEL - 53 mph

UKT - 33 mph

PHL - 49 mph

MJX - 45 mph

BLM - 47 mph

PTW - 39 mph

MMU - 35 mph

ABE - 39 mph

EWR - 49 mph

CDW - 46 mph

12N - 30 mph

TEB - 59 mph

NYC - 41 mph

ACY - 45 mph

ILG - 46 mph

LGA - 55 mph

MQS - 45 mph

JFK - 52 mph

RDG - 48 mph

MIV - 43 mph

MPO - 43 mph

FWN - 41 mph

LNS - 45 mph

HPN - 53 mph

FRG - 53 mph

DOV - 45 mph

AVP - 48 mph

WWD - 38 mph

MGJ - 41 mph

APG - 29 mph

SWF - 44 mph

MUI - 43 mph

ISP - 46 mph

GED - 46 mph

ESN - 41 mph

W29 - 47 mph

Is your anemometer high enough?

What is the correct height? I don't have one, but if I were to get one, where should I mount it? If I put it on a pole in the yard, it will be skewed by the close proximity of the houses in the neighborhood. My thought was to put it on the roof where it would get a more accurate depiction of speed and more importantly, direction.

What is brewing offshore? I was surprised to see some cloudy conditions and light radar returns(probably virga) this evening.

Looks like there is some kind of shortwave or large upper level low centered in the apps. It was probably forecasted by the models but FWIW.

northeast-ir.gif

Pressure Map doesn't reveal anything.

sfc_con_pres.gif

What is brewing offshore? I was surprised to see some cloudy conditions and light radar returns(probably virga) this evening.

Looks like there is some kind of shortwave or large upper level low centered in the apps. It was probably forecasted by the models but FWIW.

northeast-ir.gif

sfc_con_pres.gif

You're right about the short wave.....as for the clouds offshore, that's just from warm water interacting with the cold air.

northeast-ir.gif

sfc_con_pres.gif

There is a strong short wave moving into the East overnight.There is also a strong upper-level jet, with the main core diving into the Southeastern U.S. with a weaker segment exiting the Mid Atlantic this evening. This is helping to generate a good deal of high cloudiness.

What is the correct height? I don't have one, but if I were to get one, where should I mount it? If I put it on a pole in the yard, it will be skewed by the close proximity of the houses in the neighborhood. My thought was to put it on the roof where it would get a more accurate depiction of speed and more importantly, direction.

The correct height is 30 feet (10 meters). Of course, its also correct for it to be unobstructed for quite a distance around... no trees or houses, etc.

Archived