• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Shallow Fog as an ob?

Avdave

I dont think I have ever seen that reported before. Probably not as common up here as the lowlands of SC I guess

Charleston Air Force Base

Lat: 32.91 Lon: -80.03 Elev: 59

Last Update on Apr 18, 5:56 am EDT

' Shallow Fog'

48 °F

(9 °C) Humidity: 100 % Wind Speed: Calm Barometer: 30.07" (1018.2 mb) Dewpoint: 48 °F (9 °C) Visibility: 8.00 mi. More Local Wx:3 Day History:

I dont think I have ever seen that reported before. Probably not as common up here as the lowlands of SC I guess

Charleston Air Force Base

Lat: 32.91 Lon: -80.03 Elev: 59

Last Update on Apr 18, 5:56 am EDT

' Shallow Fog'

48 °F

(9 °C) Humidity: 100 % Wind Speed: Calm Barometer: 30.07" (1018.2 mb) Dewpoint: 48 °F (9 °C) Visibility: 8.00 mi. More Local Wx:3 Day History:

Probably the same coding as "BR" (mist/light fog).

AF stations are automated with augmented human obs now. I'm pretty sure that the automated system can't detect or differentiate MIFG from other weather phenomenon (e.g., BR), so probably this was a bored airman wanting to get a little work done. Or there could be some sort of mission-dependent reporting requirement for MIFG, but I can't imagine what it would be...

• 2 weeks later...

When I read international METAR's they seem to like to use 'shallow fog' more than the American stations. That and partial fog.

They were much more common in the US before the ASOS/AWOS automation really began taking hold in the mid-late 90s.

On a side note...

You will occasionally see patchy fog (BCFG) and partial fog (PRFG) in addition to the MIFG.

Archived