Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Willow Grove NAS out of commission... permanently

famartin

http://www.cnic.navy...grove/index.htm

Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC)

Under the BRAC 2005 law, NAS JRB Willow Grove will continue supporting its mission through Sept. 15, 2011, at which time the 850+ acres will be redeveloped by Horsham Township Authority.

NXX transmitted its last observation on Thursday night:

METAR KNXX 310256Z 15008KT 10SM SCT042 BKN050 OVC060 04/M03 A2999 RMK RAE40 SLP165 60000 T00441028 50002 STATION CLOSED LAST

Damn that was my home base for observations. =(

That's pittance though to the whole base going. I'm curious what Horsham is going to do with all that land. I guess this means no more air shows.

I live basically 1/2 mile down the road from the WGNAS.

-There hasn't been air shows in several years which were super cool.

-My Dad/friends (veterans) would go over there weekly for lunch...super cheap booze at the wine and spirits store (inside the base) w/no tax.

-The land itself is still up for debate...knowing Hosham, it will be built up (Houses etc.) which is unfortunate.

I live basically 1/2 mile down the road from the WGNAS.

-There hasn't been air shows in several years which were super cool.

-My Dad/friends (veterans) would go over there weekly for lunch...super cheap booze at the wine and spirits store (inside the base) w/no tax.

-The land itself is still up for debate...knowing Hosham, it will be built up (Houses etc.) which is unfortunate.

I remember as a kid the planes flying over my house and fairly low. Everything would shake and rattle like we were having an earthquake. I didn't think there had been an air show recently, and that's a shame, they were awesome.

I think Horsham should leave the land fairly clear and use it for parks or something, similar to how Warminster did with their old air base. I don't know that the gov't would ever return to the location, but just in case that option remains perhaps they shouldn't build too much on it.

An end to an era, that's for sure. I remember seeing a stealth fighter fly over once and thought, "no wonder people report UFO sitings".

It would be nice if the land was turned into a park or some sort of nature preserve, but that won't happen ... no tax revenue from that. Ten years from now that site will be filled with townhouses, McMansions, CVS's, Starbucks, a Best Buy, a Walmart, and a Lowe's or Home Depot.

Anyone remember Johnsville in Warminster? http://www.navairdevcen.org/

I lived in Holland from '76 to '93 much closer to our home and always thought Willow Grove would survive when they closed Johnsville.

I remember calling it "The upside down airport" for some reason, though I don't know why. This is on Bristol Rd. near Ivyland, yes?

My dad said they would call the fire department over once in a while to scare deer off the runway early in the morning.

I remember calling it "The upside down airport" for some reason, though I don't know why. This is on Bristol Rd. near Ivyland, yes?

My dad said they would call the fire department over once in a while to scare deer off the runway early in the morning.

All the history : http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/PA/Airfields_PA_Philly_NW.htm#warminster

The test facility on Bristol Rd. :) , drove by this about a thousands times

Warminster_PA_FA-18_94.JPG

I'm about 3 mi N of the former NXX. Its a shame. It was like having my own backyard observation!

Anyway, Mt. Holly guys, when and to where will the point forcasts now link for current observations?

I still get NXX (out of commission) NULL. I'm guessing I'll go over to KDYL while areas nearer or just S and E of NXX might go to PNE?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about 3 mi N of the former NXX. Its a shame. It was like having my own backyard observation!

Anyway, Mt. Holly guys, when and to where will the point forcasts now link for current observations?

I still get NXX (out of commission) NULL. I'm guessing I'll go over to KDYL while areas nearer or just S and E of NXX might go to PNE?

Thanks for the catch! That is a good question, and I am not sure of the answer at the moment. Not sure if this would have to be changed in the coding or if it will automatically be changed to a nearby reporting site.

Edit: Sent our webmaster an email asking him about this.

Thanks for the catch! That is a good question, and I am not sure of the answer at the moment. Not sure if this would have to be changed in the coding or if it will automatically be changed to a nearby reporting site.

Edit: Sent our webmaster an email asking him about this.

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Just tell the web"meister" to draw a line from the airbase. The S&E quadrants go to PNE. The W quadrant goes to Wings Field. The N quadrant goes to KDYL.

Whaddaya say?!! tongue.gif

Looking at NULL weather (no matter the symbolic accuracy of it!) is getting tiring.....

Willow Grove, Naval Air Station

Lat: 40.19 Lon: -75.13 Elev: 335

Not a Current Observation

NULL

NULLHumidity:NULLWind Speed:NULLBarometer:NULLDewpoint:Visibility:NULLMore Local Wx:3 Day History:

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Just tell the web"meister" to draw a line from the airbase. The S&E quadrants go to PNE. The W quadrant goes to Wings Field. The N quadrant goes to KDYL.

Looking at NULL weather (no matter the symbolic accuracy of it!) is getting tiring.....

NULL

NULLHumidity:NULLWind Speed:NULLBarometer:NULLDewpoint:Visibility:NULLMore Local Wx:3 Day History:

Just an FYI, this may be (actually probably is) something that has to go to National HQ to get fixed, so it may take a while.

Just an FYI, this may be (actually probably is) something that has to go to National HQ to get fixed, so it may take a while.

Huh??! And I thought my company was more bureaucratic than the government. Guess not.

So some dude in DC, who knows next to nothing about the area climatology decides who gets what obs. site?

Hope its not Ji. whistle.gif

Ray, if you're elected president, will you expedite it? We can get the campaign rolling now. weight_lift.gif

Huh??! And I thought my company was more bureaucratic than the government. Guess not.

So some dude in DC, who knows next to nothing about the area climatology decides who gets what obs. site?

Hope its not Ji. whistle.gif

Ray, if you're elected president, will you expedite it? We can get the campaign rolling now. weight_lift.gif

I don't know what they used to decide what obs get shown for what point-and-click lat/lons, but it may be simple proximity.

NULL

You are welcome. Our webmaster is aware of this, but he will have to do some digging as he is new.

Some parts of the NWS offices web pages are controlled by the office, however pages like the Point and Click are maintained by NWS HQ. You would think though that if a report is missing for months, it would be set to change to a nearby reporting station that is active. But since it is hard coded in, that is more than likely why it has not changed. Hopefully it will be updated fairly quickly.

You are welcome. Our webmaster is aware of this, but he will have to do some digging as he is new.

Some parts of the NWS offices web pages are controlled by the office, however pages like the Point and Click are maintained by NWS HQ. You would think though that if a report is missing for months, it would be set to change to a nearby reporting station that is active. But since it is hard coded in, that is more than likely why it has not changed. Hopefully it will be updated fairly quickly.

Why can't that whole process be done automatically, where the closest ob site submits the ob, and other nearby sites are back ups.

Why can't that whole process be done automatically, where the closest ob site submits the ob, and other nearby sites are back ups.

I have no idea since I do not handle the whole web page thing. I agree though as by having it automated/back ups would pretty much eliminate missing obs from showing up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived