• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Regional Forums have Stolen the Jazz from American Weather

The main site seems to have lost its mojo, and I think the regional forums are to blame. Sure, the activity can be swift and intense within the regionals, but the site has become so splintered that there just doesn't seem to be any interest in the big picture of American weather. Would it be possible to take the top two threads from each regional forum and pin them in the main site?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying it's settled then and not to be discussed again?

I'm not a complete fan, some people aren't complete fans, but this is a Northeast Megalopolis centric forum, and for a Nor'Easter in Winter that could put down snow from near DCA/IAD/BWI through BOS and points beyond, a single thread would be swamped. For a while generic model threads in the main forum with specific regional threads seemed to work. But about a single thread being swamped, PHL and NYC got split into separate subforums, as close together as they are (it'd be like Austin and Waco having separate subforums) because people complained some posters from the other city were 'weenies'.

Steve is right, hurricane season will bring a lot of people to the main forums, and for storms missing Cape Cod way far right, see Earl, the SNE subforum will fill up with surf reports from the Massachusetts coast.

This thread will probably be moved...

I'm not suggesting single threads for main events. I'm suggesting pinning the top two threads from each region on the main page, and then when you click on the thread to read or post, it takes you to the regional forum. Right now, the robust activity is mainly within the regional forums, which makes it mostly hidden unless you go into the regionals themselves.

Sure, hurricane season brings people to the main board, but right now, I'd bet that most members go straight to their region. Threads like the Ask a Pro Met and the Medium Range Thread just don't get the eyeballs on them. It's like we're living in a quiet house. All the activity and buzz that used to be centered around the kitchen has now gone into closed door rooms.

I'm not a complete fan, some people aren't complete fans, but this is a Northeast Megalopolis centric forum, and for a Nor'Easter in Winter that could put down snow from near DCA/IAD/BWI through BOS and points beyond, a single thread would be swamped. For a while generic model threads in the main forum with specific regional threads seemed to work. But about a single thread being swamped, PHL and NYC got split into separate subforums, as close together as they are (it'd be like Austin and Waco having separate subforums) because people complained some posters from the other city were 'weenies'.

Steve is right, hurricane season will bring a lot of people to the main forums, and for storms missing Cape Cod way far right, see Earl, the SNE subforum will fill up with surf reports from the Massachusetts coast.

This thread will probably be moved...

I will lurk in one of the many forums jammed between Washington and Boston for a winter event, I can see what is going on. It does split up the pool of good posters and red taggers, but it also splits up the thumbs up and weenie posts.

It is also a little like having state and county government, the moderation in the Central subforum is a lot lighter than in, say, the Megalopolis subforums, not many "how many inches for my yard" type posts.

Central is also the one stop shop for severe weather anywhere more than about 200 miles West of I-95.

I am against doing away with the forums. It would be a mess if there were no subforums and disco threads could get lost real easy. I think the subforums make it easier to track discussions and storms. I can follow a storm system from one region to another and get many perspectives on what might happen, and identify forecasters who are reliable for each region.

I'm not suggesting single threads for main events. I'm suggesting pinning the top two threads from each region on the main page, and then when you click on the thread to read or post, it takes you to the regional forum. Right now, the robust activity is mainly within the regional forums, which makes it mostly hidden unless you go into the regionals themselves.

Sure, hurricane season brings people to the main board, but right now, I'd bet that most members go straight to their region. Threads like the Ask a Pro Met and the Medium Range Thread just don't get the eyeballs on them. It's like we're living in a quiet house. All the activity and buzz that used to be centered around the kitchen has now gone into closed door rooms.

Are you too lazy to go into other regions to see what is going on? There is no reason to bring threads from each region into the main forum so people can "see what is going on"... they know how to get to the subforums.

I'm not suggesting to do away with the regional forums, or even saying that they are bad. I just think it'd be valuable to bring the top two threads from each forum into the main site. The threads wouldn't be pinned, so they'd be shifting from based on the number of posts. That way you can see what has captured the attention in the regionals without having to go click through each region.

I am against doing away with the forums. It would be a mess if there were no subforums and disco threads could get lost real easy. I think the subforums make it easier to track discussions and storms. I can follow a storm system from one region to another and get many perspectives on what might happen, and identify forecasters who are reliable for each region.

I agree!!. I like the sub forums and I wouldn't get rid of them.

Yes, that's exactly it. I'm too lazy. So I thought I'd spend time on making a recommendation that I think would improve the site.

Are you too lazy to go into other regions to see what is going on? There is no reason to bring threads from each region into the main forum so people can "see what is going on"... they know how to get to the subforums.

Bingo. The organization of it makes sense and people know where to go. If they're not curious enough about a wx event to click one level deeper, oh well.

I :wub: the subforums. Thank gawd for them.

Again, it's not that the regionals are bad. I am not calling for the elimination of regional forums. The regionals are so good that they take away eyeballs away from the main site. Why do that? The regionals could near about stand independently as their own boards. I don't think that's a good idea for AW as a whole, so I'm asking if there's a way to bring the top threads from the regionals into the main site.

Bingo. The organization of it makes sense and people know where to go. If they're not curious enough about a wx event to click one level deeper, oh well.

I :wub: the subforums. Thank gawd for them.

Again, it's not that the regionals are bad. I am not calling for the elimination of regional forums. The regionals are so good that they take away eyeballs away from the main site. Why do that? The regionals could near about stand independently as their own boards. I don't think that's a good idea for AW as a whole, so I'm asking if there's a way to bring the top threads from the regionals into the main site.

The main forum becomes cluttered with crap without the regional subforums. The bottom line is that most people on this forum are primarily interested in weather ITBY, so it makes sense to organize it that way. I just don't see the problem.

If we didn't have regional subforums, we would need to organize by wx type: winter, severe, tropical, etc. That could work, too. But, again, given that American has an intense strain of IMBYism, I think a regional organization is more logical for this crowd.

What will not work is one giant catch-all forum. It becomes a garbage dump and is helpful to no one.

I guess I'm not writing very clearly. I have not stated that the subforums should be abolished in favor of the main site. I like the subforums quite a bit. It's that they pull eyes off the main site. I miss the days of reading big picture threads, and can't remember the last time I saw some of the big names debate pattern changes, teleconnections, and storms two weeks ahead in the main site. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's because people are posting mainly in the subforums.

The main forum becomes cluttered with crap without the regional subforums. The bottom line is that most people on this forum are primarily interested in weather ITBY, so it makes sense to organize it that way. I just don't see the problem.

If we didn't have regional subforums, we would need to organize by wx type: winter, severe, tropical, etc. That could work, too. But, again, given that American has an intense strain of IMBYism, I think a regional organization is more logical for this crowd.

What will not work is one giant catch-all forum. It becomes a garbage dump and is helpful to no one.

I guess I'm not writing very clearly. I have not stated that the subforums should be abolished in favor of the main site. I like the subforums quite a bit. It's that they pull eyes off the main site. I miss the days of reading big picture threads, and can't remember the last time I saw some of the big names debate pattern changes, teleconnections, and storms two weeks ahead in the main site. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's because people are posting mainly in the subforums.

You mean like the ENSO type threads? There was a post on that yesterday.

I will say, HM has been scarce lately, don't know if that is seasonal or related to the end of Eastern. I think of HM when I think of long range stuff and discussions I can't quite follow, on the GLAAM and mountain torques and all that.

I hope he is back in time for tropical season...

I guess I'm not understanding what the problem is, then.

people need to get over the antiquated idea that there is a main forum. maybe "weather forecasting and discussion" needs a new name--call it "other weather" or something and people will get over the mental stumbling block that it matters at all.

fact: this board has more active users than eastern ever did, despite having an anemic "main forum".

Totally agree that the regional subforums have taken away the thunder from the main forum, especially in the winter. I'd prefer only topics that are very regionally specific in there. Approaching snowstorms-- to have a regional discussion in each forum is exhausting. The weather expertise is diluted and hard to find. I prefer the giant thread approach for all of the approaching storms, winter and summer!

subforums have definitely hurt some things.

Agreed. There are some folks like myself (granted I may be in a stark minority) that like to discuss the big picture more rather than small regional stuff. We have a handful who still do that here on the main board, but it seems like most keep even that in the subforum superthreads, making meaningful stuff harder to find.

I'm not advocating changing back to the old way. I don't post as much as I used to anyhow, but agree subforums, while helping in some ways, have hurt in others.

Archived