• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE convective threat!

weatherwiz

Well I'm not sure a similar pattern is going to produce in May and June, these systems will be riding further north and with that, we'll be into a deep S/SSW flow which sucks for early season convection.

Yeah that type of flow certainly sucks, especially for me down this way where marine influence is still pretty great. Hopefully though we could at least get some setups with some very steep lapse rates (like an EML setup) as something like this could overcome that deep flow early in the year.

It could be fun though early on for places just to our west and southwest...like NY/PA.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that type of flow certainly sucks, especially for me down this way where marine influence is still pretty great. Hopefully though we could at least get some setups with some very steep lapse rates (like an EML setup) as something like this could overcome that deep flow early in the year.

It could be fun though early on for places just to our west and southwest...like NY/PA.

I think NY/PA will do well in May and June, at least on-par with normal late Spring. Maybe a bit more active. I'd like to see some decent CF passages coming out of the N and NW. Even a '95 type sneaky outbreak with prolific lightning and hail would be fine.

Last year was dissapointing, I thought we'd see a "big" event and it never really materialized. Bust.

I think NY/PA will do well in May and June, at least on-par with normal late Spring. Maybe a bit more active. I'd like to see some decent CF passages coming out of the N and NW. Even a '95 type sneaky outbreak with prolific lightning and hail would be fine.

Last year was dissapointing, I thought we'd see a "big" event and it never really materialized. Bust.

I could certainly go for another '95 event.

Last year I didn't think was too bad, the weekend of June 5th/6th was pretty fun, although the 6th really didn't pan out as thought. But we can hope this year is the year where we see another 7/15/95 or 5/31/98.

I could certainly go for another '95 event.

Last year I didn't think was too bad, the weekend of June 5th/6th was pretty fun, although the 6th really didn't pan out as thought. But we can hope this year is the year where we see another 7/15/95 or 5/31/98.

Yeah I was thinking 6/20/95, that sneak attack from the sidedoor front. 7/15 was pretty good also.

I just put Birvine on ignore....................and it feels GREAT

:D I'm a union rep for the Teamsters, so when I see people acting collectively like on Americanwx politics it makes me feel tingly inside.

Back to SNE convective chat..

f168.gif

This could be fun for some.

The timing of the year makes me real nervous to think high thoughts but perhaps just to our west and southwest they rock! NY/PA usually have much better luck in April than we do here. Some of those members are nice though...deep trough with great height falls.

Ohh 6/20/95...I think that's the event where Kevin was crushed with hail, forgot which town. But I think that event may have produced some of the largest hail record in CT.

we got smoked that day...90/70 type heat with a weak backdoor/sidedoor front and seabreeze enhancement.

Yeah, There was a supercell in east central CT...3.5" hail was the max iirc, it's on a NWS write up somewhere. You would have chased it, no doubt.

That same setup began with some incredible slow-moving lightning/hail producers in E MA and RI. Started at 1pm with constant rumbling up by Franklin/Uxbridge MA, by 2pm we were getting Florida-vivid lightning and .5" size hail. Lasted at least an hour or so. There were thousands upon thousands of c/g strikes and loads of fires.

we got smoked that day...90/70 type heat with a weak backdoor/sidedoor front and seabreeze enhancement.

Yeah, There was a supercell in east central CT...3.5" hail was the max iirc, it's on a NWS write up somewhere. You would have chased it, no doubt.

That same setup began with some incredible slow-moving lightning/hail producers in E MA and RI. Started at 1pm with constant rumbling up by Franklin/Uxbridge MA, by 2pm we were getting Florida-vivid lightning and .5" size hail. Lasted at least an hour or so. There were thousands upon thousands of c/g strikes and loads of fires.

I'm trying to remember if I remember that day or not...I remember 7/15/95 but not sure if I can recall this day.

I love those storms with the vivid lightning like that, especially at night. Two of the best I can remember are 8/9/00 and I can't remember the date but it was April of 2002. Both of those events had an INSANE amount of lightning. I remember being freaked out in the 8/9/00 one :lol:

For the April of 2002 one I remember bringing a chair into my kitchen and watching the storm come in from the west...non-stop lightning for 2-3 hours.

I'm trying to remember if I remember that day or not...I remember 7/15/95 but not sure if I can recall this day.

I love those storms with the vivid lightning like that, especially at night. Two of the best I can remember are 8/9/00 and I can't remember the date but it was April of 2002. Both of those events had an INSANE amount of lightning. I remember being freaked out in the 8/9/00 one :lol:

For the April of 2002 one I remember bringing a chair into my kitchen and watching the storm come in from the west...non-stop lightning for 2-3 hours.

Aug 2000 was king, a freak. I've never seen a supercell move through SNE like that one did, nevermind during the nighttime. just cut through like a machete and didn't truly weaken until it was almost offshore You were probably just old enough to remember it well, which is cool

Aug 2000 was king, a freak. I've never seen a supercell move through SNE like that one did, nevermind during the nighttime. just cut through like a machete and didn't truly weaken until it was almost offshore You were probably just old enough to remember it well, which is cool

Yeah that was amazing. It was a Wednesday night.

I knew there was a chance for storms b/c I had been watching the weather and news. Back then I used to go to the Pokemon league at Toys R Us which was from 7:00-9:00 PM. My mom picked me and my brothers up and the first thing I asked her was if she heard anything more about the weather. She said they were talking about bad storms overnight...I don't remember if she had told me we were in a watch or if I found out when I got home.

Not seeing how instability can develop when you have all that garbage on the sat and the rain already knocking on the doorstep out west.. elevated stuff though i mean rumbles of thunder i would say are probable

Well we were not seeing sfc-based instability today regardless...any instability was/is elevated.

Archived