• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April General Banter Thread

superjames1992

Just thought I let everyone know that today is my birthday! ^_^ I'm officially 20 years old now and that means it's only 1 year away from the legal age. It feels as though it's been forever to finally reach this number and already I feel old by saying this, let alone looking back at all the good times I've had in the past as a kid. :arrowhead:Time flies these days...

:lol: :lol: Happy birthday Gastonwxman :sun:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I guess this fits in here... no interesting weather to report, but I wanted to let all you guys know that I've been accepted to work towards my PhD. at SUNY Albany under Dr. Lance Bosart with a stipend for working as a TA! I'll be working under a lot of the PREDICT work that was done last year during the 2010 hurricane season, so I can't wait to get started and see what I'll be working on!

Unfortunately it means that come August, I'll be leaving this wonderful community in the southeast that I've treasured for so long... you guys are all great here at American, but the folks in the southeast are the most polite and informative on the boards. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hey I guess this fits in here... no interesting weather to report, but I wanted to let all you guys know that I've been accepted to work towards my PhD. at SUNY Albany under Dr. Lance Bosart with a stipend for working as a TA! I'll be working under a lot of the PREDICT work that was done last year during the 2010 hurricane season, so I can't wait to get started and see what I'll be working on!

Unfortunately it means that come August, I'll be leaving this wonderful community in the southeast that I've treasured for so long... you guys are all great here at American, but the folks in the southeast are the most polite and informative on the boards. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Congratulations Phil (soon to be Dr. Phil!). Hopefully you check into the Southeast threads during your time in NY.

Congrats Phil :thumbsup: I hope you will continue to drop in from time to time and good luck on your new adventure :hug:

Discovered this morning that cicadas have hatched are all over the place in my yard. They are covering every tree/bush. Considering they can produce sound up to 120dbz, it's probably going to be a bit noisy tonight. Didn't think the next major emergence was until 2017 but they are so many different species of them. (2500 worldwide).

Congrats and good luck Phil! Still anxiously waiting to see if I got accepted to the M.S. program in Earth Sciences at UNC-Charlotte.

Discovered this morning that cicadas have hatched are all over the place in my yard. They are covering every tree/bush. Considering they can produce sound up to 120dbz, it's probably going to be a bit noisy tonight. Didn't think the next major emergence was until 2017 but they are so many different species of them. (2500 worldwide).

MACON, Ga. -- Some 13-year-olds are causing a buzz around Central Georgiamag-glass_10x10.gif.

They're periodical cicadas -- insects that have lived underground for 13 years only to emerge this spring, mate, lay eggs and die sometime this summer.

People in north Macon, Jones County, and some other areas say the bugs' high-pitched buzzing is causing a racket around the region.

Nancy Hinkle of UGA's Department of Entomology is tracking the cicadas' emergence and offers these facts about them:

* The periodical cicadas, which live on a 13-year cycle, are smaller than the so-called "dog day" cicadas that emerge every summer. But their numbers make them seem louder.

* Periodical cicadas emerge in the spring, have black bodies, bright red eyes and orange-veined wings.

* Cicada nymphs emerge from the ground, crawl up trees, shed their skins, and fly to the treetops from which the males call for mates. Females reply with wing clicks to lure in the males.

* Only male cicadas sing, and they sing only during the day.

* Cicadas are not pests, so there is no reason for alarm.

* Cicadas are not locusts: Locusts eat all plants -- cicadas sip plant sap and don't damage plants.

* Female cicadas lay their eggs in slits in twig tips; this can cause the end of the branch to die and fall off

* This year's periodical cicadas come from eggs laid in 1998 -- when this year's high school graduating class was in kindergarten.

The University of Georgia's entomology department is collecting information on the cicada's spread. To send information or photos, email [email protected].

(WMAZ Macon)

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/188803/40/Cicadas-abuzz-in-Georgia

Cicada's have always been strangely interesting to me. I'm curious to see how this year ends up going with them.

Unbelievable lighting in Kingsport, TN around 5:00 PM today. Also, congrats to phil882 - yeah baby!

Congratulations Phil (soon to be Dr. Phil!). Hopefully you check into the Southeast threads during your time in NY.

Congrats Phil :thumbsup: I hope you will continue to drop in from time to time and good luck on your new adventure :hug:

Congrats and good luck Phil! Still anxiously waiting to see if I got accepted to the M.S. program in Earth Sciences at UNC-Charlotte.

Thanks everyone!! Of course I'll still be checking in from time to time... and my folks are from Greenville, SC so I'll likely be home (and reporting the weather) during the holidays that I spend with them.

UNCCmetgrad I know exactly how you feel, because it was a brutal wait to hear back from SUNY-Albany. It really was a lot of luck for me, because my uncle (who is a Doctorate Professor at PITT) also happens to be an outreach officer for NOAA. He wrote a letter of recommendation directly addressed to Dr. Bosart, and it was through my uncle that I found out that Dr. Bosart was interested in working with me on PREDICT project data since my research interests and work here at UNCA were along the same lines in regards tropical cyclogenesis. So really... once again its about who you know that is a large factor in getting your name out for both graduate programs and job opportunities.

Once again I can't speak enough to how great the community is on here. I owe a large factor of what I know within meteorology to all the professional meteorologists being gracious enough to provide their thoughts and expertise on AmericanWx. So in that regard, a big thanks to Robert (FoothillsNC), Allan (RaleighWx), Cheeznado, Jeremy (eyewall), Adam (am19psu), as well as our local experts such as Jeremy (Queencitywx), Brandon (HKY_WX) and so many others. You guys are what make this community so great and its a large reason why I keep coming back to learn more!

So in that regard, a big thanks to Robert (FoothillsNC), Allan (RaleighWx), Cheeznado, Jeremy (eyewall), Adam (am19psu), as well as our local experts such as Jeremy (Queencitywx), Brandon (HKY_WX)...........

:( The science of Meteorology is useless without OBS !

(Congrats Phil, you'll be at Accuweather before you know it !!!!! Good luck, brother.:drunk:)

Thanks everyone!! Of course I'll still be checking in from time to time... and my folks are from Greenville, SC so I'll likely be home (and reporting the weather) during the holidays that I spend with them.

UNCCmetgrad I know exactly how you feel, because it was a brutal wait to hear back from SUNY-Albany. It really was a lot of luck for me, because my uncle (who is a Doctorate Professor at PITT) also happens to be an outreach officer for NOAA. He wrote a letter of recommendation directly addressed to Dr. Bosart, and it was through my uncle that I found out that Dr. Bosart was interested in working with me on PREDICT project data since my research interests and work here at UNCA were along the same lines in regards tropical cyclogenesis. So really... once again its about who you know that is a large factor in getting your name out for both graduate programs and job opportunities.

Once again I can't speak enough to how great the community is on here. I owe a large factor of what I know within meteorology to all the professional meteorologists being gracious enough to provide their thoughts and expertise on AmericanWx. So in that regard, a big thanks to Robert (FoothillsNC), Allan (RaleighWx), Cheeznado, Jeremy (eyewall), Adam (am19psu), as well as our local experts such as Jeremy (Queencitywx), Brandon (HKY_WX) and so many others. You guys are what make this community so great and its a large reason why I keep coming back to learn more!

Congrats Phil, have enjoyed your posts!

Archived