• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
EPAC Tropical Action 2011

99E is kind of interesting to me. Has some decent spin to it tonight, and NHC is now showing it at 90%. EnKF brings it into El Salvador as a decent looking system (1004 mb low) . Not an expert by any means on EPAC climo - how often do systems come in from the west at that low of a latitude?

Not very often...but Adrian 2005 would be a good analog... very early or late storms make a bit of sense.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the disc. for that cherry.

1. SHOWER ACTIVITY WITH A SMALL AREA OF LOW PRESSURE A FEW HUNDRED

MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF ACAPULCO IS LIMITED AND DISPLACED TO THE

WEST OF THE CENTER OF CIRCULATION. HOWEVER...UPPER-LEVEL WINDS

COULD BECOME MORE FAVORABLE FOR DEVELOPMENT OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF

DAYS...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...70 PERCENT...OF BECOMING

A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. THE LOW IS EXPECTED

TO MOVE EASTWARD OR NORTHEASTWARD...AND INTERESTS ALONG THE PACIFIC

COASTS OF GUATEMALA...EL SALVADOR...HONDURAS...AND NICARAGUA

SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

While not an impressive storm... Irwin easily wins the contest for the strangest track this year. I don't think I've ever seen a storm recurve SW before in the northern hemisphere (at tropical latitudes at least). Please if anyone can find a storm sub 20N that was moving NE and made a loop back to the SW let me know.

ojqmtf.gif

While not an impressive storm... Irwin easily wins the contest for the strangest track this year. I don't think I've ever seen a storm recurve SW before in the northern hemisphere (at tropical latitudes at least). Please if anyone can find a storm sub 20N that was moving NE and made a loop back to the SW let me know.

Easy 1952 could be a candidate.... not as weird though

Easy_1952_track.png

• 4 weeks later...

12Z GFS and Euro both hinting at fairly low latitude action in the basin in about a week. The question is whether this late in the year even a low latitude storm could avoid being recurved into Mexico.

New GFS says no, or yes to action (beyond resolution chop) and maybe one more adventure for i-Cyclone...

post-138-0-11442900-1321166624.gif

:D

November 'cane landfalls are exceedingly rare in this basin-- just twice in the last 60 years: Tara 1961 and Rick 1997, both Cat 1s.

So is snow pre-Halloween in NYC. This could be the year of miracles!

This aside, my biz partner would have my head on a platter if I went on another chase in this calendar year. I can't even think about sins so deep. :sun:

You need to develop a client base in Mexico as cover for chases. 6Z GFS still has it, post-chop landfall only a little further South than 0Z. Genesis region should already be interesting satellite wise per 6Z GFS in the Western Caribbean. 6Z GFS also has a Happy Hurricane Rosa type Texas drought-denting solution...

post-138-0-50287700-1321193418.jpg

The 384 hr GFS brings the post trop remant core into SE AZ. Aside from the fact that the 384 hr GFS isn't worth dog poop down here, I don't think that any TC remnant has made it this far north in late November before. I've seen moisture plumes in November that dumped copious amounts of rain but they were triggered but cutoff ULLs dropping south along the CA coast.

Steve

The 384 hr GFS brings the post trop remant core into SE AZ. Aside from the fact that the 384 hr GFS isn't worth dog poop down here, I don't think that any TC remnant has made it this far north in late November before. I've seen moisture plumes in November that dumped copious amounts of rain but they were triggered but cutoff ULLs dropping south along the CA coast.

Steve

:lol:

The GFS continues to tease us here in Texas with a drought denting cyclone hitting the Baja at the end of November.

Archived