• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 4-6 Upstate NY / North Country Spring Storm

After tonight's storm , bring on spring...Im suprised im not in a mental institute after this winter with the models..:blink: It felt like spring and smelt like spring overnight with some light rain, i love the smell of rain lol Time to move on and kinda hope this is a nice mild rainstorm..

A widespread / significant severe weather event looks like a good bet with this system across areas of the MS / TN / OH Valleys as currently outlooked by SPC. Not sure just yet, but depending on the strength and track of the system, it's conceivable there could be some severe weather possibilities up this way, maybe...

Yes it could be active in MS and OH.

12Z GFS screams High Wind Event for Much Of the Eastern Great Lakes, specifically Upstate NY late Monday night.

Perhaps...perhaps not. I have just looked at data in a very casual way. LP track may be too far north but then again its strength is impressive for sure. I'll check delta-p fields, HFC , stability and gradient wind data later today. I also like the possibility of a low-top QLCS or CFRB with damaging winds and possible spinups for NYS...moving west to east during Monday night Tuesday AM.

Definitely holds promise of some interesting SPRING weather possibilities that ain't snow!

12Z GFS screams High Wind Event for Much Of the Eastern Great Lakes, specifically Upstate NY late Monday night.

Perhaps...perhaps not. I have just looked at data in a very casual way. LP track may be too far north but then again its strength is impressive for sure. I'll check delta-p fields, HFC , stability and gradient wind data later today. I also like the possibility of a low-top QLCS or CFRB with damaging winds and possible spinups for NYS...moving west to east during Monday night Tuesday AM.

Definitely holds promise of some interesting SPRING weather possibilities that ain't snow!

After a closer perusal of 12z data (in WINGRIDDS) (alas 12z NAM didn't ingest properly waiting on 18z)... low top convective potential still looks okay IMO for NYS during Tuesday AM. Focusing in on ENY and the HV, it appears that we have a Low Cape High Shear (LCHS) potential that is moderate. Soundings for Tues 06z have an inverted-V look for ALB, GLOVERSVILLE and POU : Steep L/R from 1000-850 millibars of around 6.5-7. An axis 48-52 TT across ECNY to extreme Western VT/MA. Speed shear but since most of the area appears to be in the warm sector there isn't much if any LL shear AOB 850 (although last nights 06z NAM did have light to moderat directional shear in N-S oriented valleys). Theta-e decrease with height was moderate at most sites so downburst potential is high.

Hodo's weren't hooked to much (Albany did have a very broad hooked one) thus chance for brief spinups is probably low to slightly above nil. Threat appears to be mostly from downbursts/microbursts.

Post cold frontal winds could be strong too favorable tracks of HFC and delta-p along with dry slotting combined with minimal directional shear through height but winds increasing with height thru 700-500 hPa could lead o some intense winds gusts of at least 55 mph and maybe as high as 65-70 mph (esp higher elevations of NYS).

Here are the SkewT and Hodo for Albany from the 18z-2 April NAM (med res):

18Z NAM maybe speeding up FROPA a bit by 3-6 hours:

Here are some of the charts from the 02 Apr 18z NAM run to assess the Post cold frontal WIND POTENTIAL

First SKEWT:

Potential for deep mixing to near 700 hPa.

Nearly "coincidental" H5 and H3 jets (both very strong over or just east of Albany)

H850 winds, temp (red) and DP grey. Note widespread 40 + kt westerly winds 50kts across 'Dacks and 55-60 kts along I-90 thru MV!

H7 similar strong winds note 12 hour temp changes of -8 to -10/11C across NYS

H5 HFC of 260 meters across NYS!

Surface katallobaric changes (delta-p):

H700 RH (possible only negative factor) moderately moist across EC-E NY BUT Westerly flow and downslope may increase drying.

Strong H5 PVA/VORT sliding ENE-NE across EC-E NY.

The severe weather will start today...and go thru Tuesday....When I checked earlier MLCAPE values in some places were in the 3000 to 4000J/Kg range, a strong LLJ (65-80 knots) will move tons of moisture into the system. Now take The instability Andy was talking about and the ingredients are there for a very large severe weather outbreak. The CF will be moving fairly quickly, so as capping inversion get weaker and LLC increases we will see numerous TS spring up. The Ozarks will see the worse of it....But parts of the OH valley and PA will see severe weather too.....The treats will include Wind, large hail, MCS and tornadoes...many of which could be of the nocturnal variety. Right now, it looks like NYS will miss the brunt of this....but it will be a close call and it will have to be watched closely.

The severe weather will start today...and go thru Tuesday....When I checked earlier MLCAPE values in some places were in the 3000 to 4000J/Kg range, a strong LLJ (65-80 knots) will move tons of moisture into the system. Now take The instability Andy was talking about and the ingredients are there for a very large severe weather outbreak. The CF will be moving fairly quickly, so as capping inversion get weaker and LLC increases we will see numerous TS spring up. The Ozarks will see the worse of it....But parts of the OH valley and PA will see severe weather too.....The treats will include Wind, large hail, MCS and tornadoes...many of which could be of the nocturnal variety. Right now, it looks like NYS will miss the brunt of this....but it will be a close call and it will have to be watched closely.

I never trust warm fropas happening at night fall-spring across NYS. Could still see QLCS/LT CFRB action here. Models often don't "show" it until either the day of the even or even until 6 or 12 hours out.

Ah..to be chasing in MO or AR with an experienced chaser but then again you're right a lot of nocturnal potential for sure.

I never trust warm fropas happening at night fall-spring across NYS. Could still see QLCS/LT CFRB action here. Models often don't "show" it until either the day of the even or even until 6 or 12 hours out.

Ah..to be chasing in MO or AR with an experienced chaser but then again you're right a lot of nocturnal potential for sure.

You're right, we're not out of the woods....and this will have to be watched.

It's challenging to chase in the Ozarks and I don't know of many who will chase down in that area at night.....It's hard enough to see and keep up with the cells during the day.

You're right with the mid to upper air dynamics beast of the QLCS variety are a possibility.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WATCH FOR A PORTION OF EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...INCLUDING

THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...HAMILTON...MONTGOMERY...FULTON...

HERKIMER...NORTHERN WARREN...AND WESTERN SCHENECTADY.

* FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON

* RAINFALL TOTALS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES COMBINED WITH SNOW MELT MAY

LEAD TO FLOODING ON AREA RIVERS AND STREAMS. THUNDERSTORMS

MONDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT ARE ALSO POSSIBLE...INCREASING THE

POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING.

AS NOTED ABOVE...POTENTIAL FOR CONVECTIVE

PRECIPITATION IS THERE MONDAY AFTERNOON WITH FEATURE MOVING ACROSS

THE REGION. ENTIRE CWA WILL GET INTO THE WARM SECTOR MONDAY NIGHT.

HAVE FEATURED STEADY OR RISING TEMPERATURES MONDAY NIGHT...WITH

POTENTIAL FOR SOUTHERN REGIONS TO GET NEAR 60. WITH SHOWALTER

INDICES NEAR OR BELOW ZERO ACROSS THE ENTIRE CWA MONDAY NIGHT AHEAD

OF THE FRONT WILL KEEP WITH THE IDEA OF A SLIGHT CHANCE OF

THUNDERSTORMS.

Over to all snow here, 15 miles west of Syracuse, with some precip still to move through. Gotta beieve that the higher hills get a couple of inches today..

Flipped to all snow here on the SU hill about 1/2 hr. ago....nice big dendrites!!! I agree that higher hills may get or are getting a little whitening. Nice SLP wave depicted in EPA....probably enough so to hold the surface mositure and lift a bit further west to surprise us a bit in CNY and points north and east.

Archived