• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 4-6 Upstate NY / North Country Spring Storm

It helps to be at 1600 feet at 2 PM on April 5th. Snow showers here since 10 AM, but at 34 none of it is sticking.

I got in from DC at 2 AM...thermometer says yesterday's high was 51 here. It was 81 when I left DC.

That crazy area where I was in WV.....Canaan Valley (elevation 3500') had 6 inches (from the clipper) and +SN when I left there at 10 AM on Saturday. I barely made it back to a main road. Then I checked and they hit 75 yesterday, but now back down to 28 there with snow showers also.

They probably had T storms yesterday. There is a climate for the true all season weather enthusiast. :thumbsup:

BGM is getting clocked right now, reporting SN at 32/31, lots of heavy bands crossing NY's Southern Tier.

It helps to be at 1600 feet at 2 PM on April 5th. Snow showers here since 10 AM, but at 34 none of it is sticking.

I got in from DC at 2 AM...thermometer says yesterday's high was 51 here. It was 81 when I left DC.

That crazy area where I was in WV.....Canaan Valley (elevation 3500') had 6 inches (from the clipper) and +SN when I left there at 10 AM on Saturday. I barely made it back to a main road. Then I checked and they hit 75 yesterday, but now back down to 28 there with snow showers also.

They probably had T storms yesterday. There is a climate for the true all season weather enthusiast. :thumbsup:

Wow, I didn't realize the clipper was strong enough to produce that much snow; it was just a weak piece of energy left behind from the H5 trough that created the Nor'easter Thursday night. However, I imagine Canaan Valley upslopes a lot on NW winds, and perhaps gets some lake enhancement too, so a lot of it is probably orographic effects.

Those elevated areas in WV/VA receive lots of severe weather and tons of snow in winter (especially NW facing aspects)...it's a great climate. Some of the higher parts of WV above 4000' average around 150" of snowfall per year, about as much as the Southern Greens in VT. Garrett County in Maryland also gets clocked...the Cumberland Plateau has a fairly severe winter climate for the Mid-Atlantic, definitely not like DC at all.

SPC had 1347 storm reports 38 of which were tornadoes...unfortunately there were two tornado related fatalities in Dodge County Georgia. .....The1347 is a one day record for the SPC.....Last night that LLJ really had an impact...........We knew this was going to be a good severe weather outbreak.....it sure delivered.

It was a pretty wintery afternoon around here yesterday. It snowed in Delhi (1360') most of the afternoon, but only stuck to the grass and that melted when the snow let up. On some of the 2200' "passes" enough snow accumulated in the afternoon to cover the grass where it had been exposed. It was even sticking to some of the roads up high. Of course these are the areas that still have a fair amount of snow in the shaded areas from this winter. This morning the roads were white above 1600'.

Maybe an inch on the hill yesterday.

Work too me to Fair Haven and back yesterday. There was nothing from I-90 up but I came back through Pompey and they had plowed the roads yesterday and the gropund still had several inches.

Low of 27 here earlier.... Rapid rise underway now.... Grass is still dead brown here with patches of snow in the deeper woods.... Things may start to green up if the forecast of early week warmth pans out. The earth worms came out (yuck) on the driveway for the first time here after Monday night's rain, but then got snowed on yesterday.

Maybe an inch on the hill yesterday.

Work too me to Fair Haven and back yesterday. There was nothing from I-90 up but I came back through Pompey and they had plowed the roads yesterday and the gropund still had several inches.

Low of 27 here earlier.... Rapid rise underway now.... Grass is still dead brown here with patches of snow in the deeper woods.... Things may start to green up if the forecast of early week warmth pans out. The earth worms came out (yuck) on the driveway for the first time here after Monday night's rain, but then got snowed on yesterday.

Temp was 24 here this morning.

Archived