• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
This snow season had the most Thunderstorms I can ever remember

CAT5ANDREW

12/26-27.....1/26-27 and the violent thundersleet event the other night was the coup de grace.I dont remember a snow season having this many individual episodes of thundersnow/sleet.The storms the other night were the most violent frozen precip thunderstorm I have ever seen here in Queens.That was like a midsummer thunderstorm.I believe I have a lot of agreement among the majority of you.

12/26-27.....1/26-27 and the violent thundersleet event the other night was the coup de grace.I dont remember a snow season having this many individual episodes of thundersnow/sleet.The storms the other night were the most violent frozen precip thunderstorm I have ever seen here in Queens.That was like a midsummer thunderstorm.I believe I have a lot of agreement among the majority of you.

Definitely agree. Jan. 26-27 had crazy thunder here in Astoria as did the most recent thundersleet storm. The storm also had thundersnow for a little and LGA actually reported it.

Dec.26, had 2-3 strikes but nothing like Jan.26 and March 23-24.

Agree 100 percent. It was the best winter that I ever experienced.

Yes, me too, and I can vaguely remember 95-96.

Constant cold from Thanksgiving through early February, 70" snowfall here with three storms over 12", ice storm, accumulating snowfall in late March with notable spring cold snap....I've been very satisfied with this winter, the only thing missing was a HECS for my backyard but I'd still rate this season higher than 09-10 despite the 26" that fell here in the Snowicane last February. To me, winter is all about having consistent snow cover and cold temperatures, and this was the first season we've had that in a long time.

Yeah, totally in agreement with you guys. 1/26 this year was my 1st heavy thundersleet experience & wed nt was my 2nd. Unfreakin' real! I did experience heavy DRIFTING sleet in the Mar 29th-30th 1984 storm, but no thunder.

On January 26th in my area there was only one flash of lightning and rumble of thunder with that event with the sleet and freezing rain turning to snow and the snow rates that night was amazing. but on March 23rd that event was amazing like a summertime thunderstorm with the sleet that end of the thunderstorm turned to wet snow. Thunderstorm easily produced the heaviest sleet I ever seen which coated the ground pretty fast which later that night had an inch of wet snow on top. Even with the blizzard there was one big huge of clap of thunder and that was the first thundersnow I witness since I think the blizzard of 96.

Guest Patrick

Agreed... I waited anxiously for Tsnow in both the December & January storms, but it didn't happen here this season until last week. Nothing more rewarding than heavy sleet/snow and a violent lightning show overhead =)

For me personally (in NYC proper), I think the 1/26-1/27 storm was the most intense in terms of thunder/lightening and snowfall rates. I heard at least 5 rumbles during that event which was accompanied by the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen. IIRC, after 10pm on the 26th, all hell broke loose. Unlike 12/27 here, there was very little wind, which enabled incredible snow growth and our total in Central Park jumped from 10" (for the 2nd part) to 15" in a tad over an hour.

Here's some crappy video that I was too lazy upload back then.

For me personally (in NYC proper), I think the 1/26-1/27 storm was the most intense in terms of thunder/lightening and snowfall rates. I heard at least 5 rumbles during that event which was accompanied by the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen. IIRC, after 10pm on the 26th, all hell broke loose. Unlike 12/27 here, there was very little wind, which enabled incredible snow growth and our total in Central Park jumped from 10" (for the 2nd part) to 15" in a tad over an hour.

The 1st part of the storm overperformed for many people. I got 4 inches from the 1st part and 14 inches from the 2nd part. I couldn't believe how fast the snow was accumulating in the 2nd part of the storm.

the The post Christmas storm was a real old fashion blizzard...cars abandoned everywhere and huge drifts and piles taller than most cars...1/26-27 is a great storm for any winter and the 1/11 storm would beat out most winters biggest snowfalls...It was very similar to 1960-61 without the long cold wave...

the The post Christmas storm was a real old fashion blizzard...cars abandoned everywhere and huge drifts and piles taller than most cars...1/26-27 is a great storm for any winter and the 1/11 storm would beat out most winters biggest snowfalls...It was very similar to 1960-61 without the long cold wave...

Uncle, which was better: JAN 1996 or DEC 2010?

Uncle, which was better: JAN 1996 or DEC 2010?

hard to tell because I live in a different place now...January 1996 was on par with February 1983 where I lived in Brooklyn...Since the 1996-97 season on Staten Island the 12/26 storm blows all the others away including 2/03 and 2/06...

Jan 26 thundersnow

the The post Christmas storm was a real old fashion blizzarda...cars bandoned everywhere and huge drifts and piles taller than most cars...

Yep, a good old fashion blizzard. I was amazed that the city was a standstill. That was the 1st time ever that I saw all the stores closed around my area. The only place to eat was the pizzeria.

yeah same here, im wondering what has caused this phenomena..Gulf stream placement? Baroclinic zone? rapid deepening surface lows? interesting stuff

My pet opinion is La Niña. Great at bringing contrasting air masses together. That's also why April 1974 was so terrible for severe storms.

Archived