• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Thread

tombo82685

The 00z SHIPS initialization diagnosed the 850-200 mb shear as only 6 kt from the SE, and the CIMSS shear analysis is from the west at 5-10 kt, which isn't too bad either. However, the convective pattern is highly suggestive of a sheared storm, with intense convection breaking out east of the center and staying on that quadrant. I think what's happening is that there is shear in the 850-300 mb layer that is being missed by the traditional shear diagnostics. There are northwesterly winds at around 10 kt in the 250-350 mb layer being picked up by the 00z soundings in PR and Saint Maarten, to the NW and N of the storm respectively:

201108020078526skewt.gif201108020078866skewt.gif

A similar situation happened with Erika in 2009, where all of the traditional 850-200 mb shear metrics showed low shear, but the convection kept being displaced from the center. Clearly, this is not a very favorable environment for intensification. In light of this, I'm not sure if this will survive Hispaniola, and it frankly may not even make it there as a TC.

Well, its early for this but might as well start it to see what kind of season we may have. Hopefully we can get into some tropical action this year on the east coast.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the other forum, high pressure looks to be locked in for the most part well into the long range over the Atlantic. I would think as storms traveled westward they would find themselves in a favorable low shear enviornment underneath the high. Then, as they eventually reach the western edge of the ridge would travel NW or N giving the SE US a continued tropical threat this year. We could even catch a threat up here if 96 trully becomes a usefull analog.

1996hurricanes.gif

For the first time in a while, I actually think there will East Coast action this year. 1989 and 1999 are the two analogs I've seen come up most so far. My company's proprietary forecast also has an East Coast threat.

Do you have the named storms from that yr and their tracks?

What do you mean? They both feature a major landfall, which happens on average once every two years, so I'd take it as a positive sign (if you're into landfalls). East Coast majors are even rarer.

Yea i was just looking at the east coast lol. Were thos years dominated by sprawling high pressure in the atlantic?

Are we poised to have a weak Nino or will we go enso neutral? I haven't paid much attention to Nina state (I know it's weakening as of late)

Gun to my head, I'd say cool neutral, but a weak Nino is still possible. Especially so if we get a few more MJO bursts into P8/1 as we head into summer.

• 1 month later...

Bump, pacific season starts in 2 weeks...adam you have until the week of memorial day weekend to post your thoughts on this years tropical season.

I haven't changed my thinking a whole lot from what I posted above. If I have to put numbers out it'd be something like 17-18/9-10/4-5. I still think there will be a significant threat to the East Coast this year (first time in a while I've said that). I expect this year will break the streak of 5 years without a major landfall (though I would have thought that last year, too).

And EPAC season doesn't start until May 15 :P

Something about living inland now makes me appreciate the tropical season a lot less. Still alot to study and track, but to me Tropical Season here in eastern PA is alot like watching lake effect snow occur over the eastern Great Lakes. Fascinating, but 9x out of 10, meaningless to me here.

I haven't changed my thinking a whole lot from what I posted above. If I have to put numbers out it'd be something like 17-18/9-10/4-5. I still think there will be a significant threat to the East Coast this year (first time in a while I've said that). I expect this year will break the streak of 5 years without a major landfall (though I would have thought that last year, too).

And EPAC season doesn't start until May 15 :P

doh

• 4 weeks later...

per previous page - 1 EC landfall?

Yes.

is it still looking like an east coast year or atleast threats?

Yeah, it looks like the mean subtropical ridge will be displaced westward of it usual position and the mean trough will be over the Lakes/OH Valley.

seasonal_charts_rain!rain!ensemble%20mean!3%20months!Tropics!201105!chart.gif

Archived