joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful pic of Katia that is on the verge of becoming an annular hurricane.

An annular hurricane, also known as a truck tire or doughnut hurricane,[1] is a tropical cyclone in the Atlantic or Eastern Pacific Oceans that features a large, symmetric eye surrounded by a thick ring of intense convection. This type of storm is not prone to the fluctuations in intensity associated with eyewall replacement cycles, unlike typical intense tropical cyclones. Annular hurricanes also tend to persist, even when encountering environmental conditions which easily dissipate most other hurricanes. Forecasters have difficulty predicting the behavior of annular hurricanes; they are a recently recognized phenomenon, and as such, little is known about their tendencies. Because of this, they can be more dangerous than

20110905.1045.goes13.x.vis1km_high.12LKATIA.85kts-972mb-236N-615W.100pc.jpg

And we also now have 95L

20110905.1015.msg2.x.vis1km_high.95LINVEST.25kts-NAmb-92N-283W.100pc.jpg

@ 72hrs, the 0z Euro takes a tw into the GOM roughly 1008mbs, 72hrs 1005mbs in the central GOM, 98hrs, at 998mbs over some very warm waters, about 100miles due south of Biloxi,MS/MObile AB...somewhere between 98 and 144 it makes landfall over the panhandle

by the way, wunderground.com has some pretty amazing EURO images for free..3hr incrments using google maps and a ton of surface maps:

0z euro 96hrs

96hrs.jpg

114hrs:

114hrs.jpg

126hrs:

126hrs.jpg

132hrs:

132hrs.jpg

Verbatim, a weak TS would be depcted here. Strengths not as important right now as does this actually elope?

for $hits and giggles, here's what it looks like when it gets to our area:

168hrs:

168hrs.jpg

These maps are pretty dam cool: here's the link if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?zoom=4&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=1&mm.mdl=GFS&mm.type=SURPRE&mm.hour=0&mm.opa=100&mm.clk=0&hur=0&fire=0&tor=0&ndfd=0&pix=0&dir=0&ads=0&tfk=0&fodors=0&ski=0&ls=0&rad2=0

^ 12z Euro takes that system up to Biloxi as something decent. Probably a bit more than a weak TS. Given the small size of the system it could spin up rather quickly and be something more than what the models are suggesting.

could be another mess sometime next week here in regards to hvy rain. With the cold front coming down from the northern plains everything should eventually come northeast at some point into the region.

The first week of October better make up for this nonsense. So much for SSTs driving everything.

You think the majorly weak and inconsistent MJO is to blame for how weak the season has been? Obvisouly we're up to "n" but aside from Irene and Katia temp hitting Cat 4, nothing has been too impressive or long lived. (Not enough upper air support)

You think the majorly weak and inconsistent MJO is to blame for how weak the season has been? Obvisouly we're up to "n" but aside from Irene and Katia temp hitting Cat 4, nothing has been too impressive or long lived. (Not enough upper air support)

Yes. That is precisely why I think this season has sucked so far. That's also why I am holding out hope for the end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

Adam, why have these past 5 years been so blah tropical wise

Well, this year is due to the crappy MJO (for which I don't have a good explanation - probably something stratospheric or solar that I don't fully understand). Last year was a great year, we just didn't get any landfalls. Same with 2008. 2009 was another crappy MJO year, though the SST pattern that year didn't have the potential that this one does/did. 2007 had Dean and Felix, so I don't think you can really call that year blah.

Well, this year is due to the crappy MJO (for which I don't have a good explanation - probably something stratospheric or solar that I don't fully understand). Last year was a great year, we just didn't get any landfalls. Same with 2008. 2009 was another crappy MJO year, though the SST pattern that year didn't have the potential that this one does/did. 2007 had Dean and Felix, so I don't think you can really call that year blah.

well im just going by the past where it seems like we had more landfalls.

well im just going by the past where it seems like we had more landfalls.

At this point, the scientific literature treats landfalls as a stochastic process, so I can't really give you a good answer why one season is favorable for landfalls and others are not. Obviously, it has to do with the position of the subtropical ridge and genesis locations, but we don't know the drivers for those types of things.

No big shear for a little while on 98L. The current CMSS wind estimation is up to 38KTS.

CIMSS/NESDIS-USAF/NRL AMSU TC Intensity Estimation:

INVEST 98L

Monday 19sep11 Time: 1621 UTC

Latitude: 12.16 Longitude: -37.95

Storm position corresponds to AMSU-A FOV 27 [1<--->30]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

| Estimated MSLP: 1005 hPa

| Estimated Maximum Sustained Wind: 38 kts

| Estimate Confidence: Fair ( +/- 7mb +/- 9 kts )

Channel 8 (~150 hPa) Tb Anomaly: 1.22

Channel 7 (~250 hPa) Tb Anomaly: 0.35

Channel 6 (~350 hPa) Tb Anomaly: 0.35

RMW: 111 km

RMW Source is: TPC

Environmental Pressure: 1011 (TPC)

Satellite: NOAA-19

20110919.1845.goes13.x.vis1km_high.98LINVEST.25kts-1008mb-117N-387W.100pc.jpg

No big shear for a little while on 98L. The current CMSS wind estimation is up to 38KTS.

CIMSS/NESDIS-USAF/NRL AMSU TC Intensity Estimation:

INVEST 98L

Monday 19sep11 Time: 1621 UTC

Latitude: 12.16 Longitude: -37.95

Storm position corresponds to AMSU-A FOV 27 [1<--->30]

| Estimated MSLP: 1005 hPa

| Estimated Maximum Sustained Wind: 38 kts

| Estimate Confidence: Fair ( +/- 7mb +/- 9 kts )

Channel 8 (~150 hPa) Tb Anomaly: 1.22

Channel 7 (~250 hPa) Tb Anomaly: 0.35

Channel 6 (~350 hPa) Tb Anomaly: 0.35

RMW: 111 km

RMW Source is: TPC

Environmental Pressure: 1011 (TPC)

Satellite: NOAA-19

Oh yeah, it'll probably waste Ophelia this week before it gets blown apart this weekend.

Archived