• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Tropical Thread

tombo82685

yea i have the 6hr plots, but obviously can't post them...but it starts to get a wnw turn to it around hr 234 from the trof crossing the northern tier..when you say progressive flow are you talking bout the westerlies? What would need to happen for this to hit the coast, just time it after a cold front?

I just mean the phase speed of the troughs are fairly quick next week. In order for it to hit the coast, it would have to time perfectly before a cold front, like Irene did, but the odds are against you when the flow is more progressive.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just mean the phase speed of the troughs are fairly quick next week. In order for it to hit the coast, it would have to time perfectly before a cold front, like Irene did, but the odds are against you when the flow is more progressive.

makes sense, just like in winter with phasing during a progressive flow its gotta be timed perfectly.

Like any East Coast threat, thread the needle?

is their any MJO phase that would favor a us hit? I would imagine it would be the opposite of what we want in winter time since that correlates to an east coast trof...so any phase towards the right?

is their any MJO phase that would favor a us hit? I would imagine it would be the opposite of what we want in winter time since that correlates to an east coast trof...so any phase towards the right?

I don't know of a hard and fast rule, but for September, Phases 1 and 2 look close to an EC pattern:

P1

SeptemberPhase1500mb.gif

P2

SeptemberPhase2500mb.gif

looks like the euro and the gfs to some extent is trying to develop some home brewed tropical development in the western gulf

Yeah, this is going to happen, but it's going to be a hot mess. Heavy rain for a week, but doesn't look like much chance to be a hurricane. Remember Nicole last year?

do you think any of that mess could get entrained in the cold front next week? I have seen some of the gfs ens members bring some of it in.

Yeah, it's possible. I'm not entirely sure what happens after the weekend with this thing. I like the TX solutions better right now, but it certainly could get entrained too.

0z and 6z gf's say watch out for the tropical entity in the gulf. Seems like models are all over though. Some have it meandering the south/tx.. Either way, looks like a rain maker due to the lack of a steering flow down the southern conus. But by the time it makes it's way here(if it cones to that), the -epo and downstream +PNA would send an East coast trough and pick it out of our area. That would be good for the east coast. Any heavy rain maker would be a serious threat. I believe this poses more of a threat than Katia.

Adam, I don't want to ask this in the tropical thread because its to regionalized. if possibly katia hits the se, would it stream ene with the flow from the westerlies? or would it just move due west and fall apart and then get picked up by something? I saw in the tropical thread you said this has no shot for the northeast, are you saying landfall or any impacts at all?

Just want to point out why the shift west between the 12z GFS vs. the 18z at the same time frame..

12z GFS:

12zgfs500mbvort174.gif

18z GFS same time frame:

18zgfs500mbvort168.gif

Notice how the energy in the gulf is a bit strong vortmax at the base of the trough, and tries to neg tilt the trough. This actuallys tries to pull Katia towards the west a bit.

Not sure if im buying it, but just wanted to point that out. We've seen a west trend in the models today overall, but all are still showing a recurve with a pretty dominant looking western US ridge and downstream US trough.

Just want to point out why the shift west between the 12z GFS vs. the 18z at the same time frame..

Notice how the energy in the gulf is a bit strong vortmax at the base of the trough, and tries to neg tilt the trough. This actuallys tries to pull Katia towards the west a bit.

Not sure if im buying it, but just wanted to point that out. We've seen a west trend in the models today overall, but all are still showing a recurve with a pretty dominant looking western US ridge and downstream US trough.

also could be the north atl ridge is a little stronger than 12z. Cause of that the whole ridge trof axis has slid west somewhat

Katia on the 12z gf's gets close enough to the east coast that the western precipitation shield brushes nj and parts of sne ... Very very interesting. Not sure if the models are over Doing a west trend or what, but it's a pretty complicated synoptic set up with td#13 progged to become a. Cut off low and pulling katia to the west of Burmuda and east of the EC for now.. I never would have thought it would get this close with a pretty significant western ridge.

Katia on the 12z gf's gets close enough to the east coast that the western precipitation shield brushes nj and parts of sne ... Very very interesting. Not sure if the models are over Doing a west trend or what, but it's a pretty complicated synoptic set up with td#13 progged to become a. Cut off low and pulling katia to the west of Burmuda and east of the EC for now.. I never would have thought it would get this close with a pretty significant western ridge.

I see the ts running up the apps then up to NE with Katia in tow. A long duration rainfall for someone- Susquehanna Valley? Can anyone say Agnes redux here?

Of course, one of the big questions here is where the EC frontal boundry decides to set up shop. As the energy associated with the related trough will be a better known variable within the next 24-36 hours (as it enters better data regions), we'll get a much better idea. I believe we've seen, in recent history, that the models this far out try to push said frontal boundries more off the EC than ends up happening. Thus the pattern would tend to repeat itself and there's a better than even chance that the front sets up up shop nearer the EC than farther from it.

06z GFS nothwithstanding (timing seems very suspect), the 0z GEFS appear to be in decent agreement to that notion. http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

3z SREFS paint a 30-50% of over .25" http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M with a deep tap root to tropical moisture at 700mb.

It almost goes without saying that by Sunday eve. we'll have a better idea of whether we need to think nuisance or problem. (then why did I mention it, right? - LOL)

Of course, one of the big questions here is where the EC frontal boundry decides to set up shop. As the energy associated with the related trough will be a better known variable within the next 24-36 hours (as it enters better data regions), we'll get a much better idea. I believe we've seen, in recent history, that the models this far out try to push said frontal boundries more off the EC than ends up happening. Thus the pattern would tend to repeat itself and there's a better than even chance that the front sets up up shop nearer the EC than farther from it.

06z GFS nothwithstanding (timing seems very suspect), the 0z GEFS appear to be in decent agreement to that notion. http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

3z SREFS paint a 30-50% of over .25" http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M with a deep tap root to tropical moisture at 700mb.

It almost goes without saying that by Sunday eve. we'll have a better idea of whether we need to think nuisance or problem. (then why did I mention it, right? - LOL)

If the front sets up closer to the coast, where is the axis of heaviest rain in your opinion?

If the front sets up closer to the coast, where is the axis of heaviest rain in your opinion?

Well - I would imagine inland areas along and E of the Apps from the lower MidAtl up to NY state where the GEFS suggest the highest PWAT values.

Archived