• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Feb 28 Severe Weather Threat

Cheeznado

Ive got .8" in the bucket which gives me 4.25" for the month. Ill take it. BTW when you see the reporters on the weather channel in cherokee county GA they are right down the street from my parents. My brother called and said it looked like someone took a chipper shredder down Kellogg Creek Road. Im going by tomorrow to check it out and scout next years firewood on the back 40. Thàt was the portion of the storm that tore me up on 75 so Im hoping it is ruled a tornado.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing overly impressive as far as severe goes... has some thunder and lightning, .84" in the gauge. By CoCoRaHS methods, that counts as March 1 precipitation... so, at least the month starts out well... but so did February... After the Feb 5-6 event, we only had .03" the rest of the month.

.7 here. Nice storm. Lots of cloud to cloud, heavy wind blowing the rain in sheets, thunder was off a ways. Spent the whole time with the outside lights on, and my nose pressed against windows on the glassed in porch...trying to get as close to it as I could without getting wet, lol. A pure entertainment storm here. Best kind! T

Daffodils came out here 2/18, tulips 2/19. Azaleas bloomed 2/21. Trees leafed out 2/24. Cape Myrtle bloomed from 2/25-2/26. Beautiful reds and yellows when my maples turned 2/27. All leaves down from today's rain. Bring on the winter!!!

Crape Myrtles blooming? That would be a record since they don' bloom until June

Near term /through tonight/...

as of 3 am Tuesday...pictures from space early this morning show

a line strong convection marching well offshore of the Carolinas

over buoyant gulfstream waters ahead of a strong cold front moving

through the area. Mosaic radar loops show a fast moving line of

showers headed south across the rah/mhx zones...marking a leading

edge of a cold air surge that will bring gusty north wind in wake

of the exiting front. This line was producing gusts of 35-40 miles per hour

and could prompt an Special Weather Statement or smw/mws later this morning if intensity

holds together. Even with only synoptic considerations...it will

be quite windy at area beaches this morning...especially north of

Cape Fear where the near shore waters could see gusts near 40 miles per hour

through early morning.

A few damage reports overnight. One incident may prompt a survey

team to dispatch at daybreak to determine if the cause was

straight-line winds...a gustnado...or a weak tornado. Several

severe thunderstorms warnings were issued during a watch last night.

We ended up with .67 from the storm. Buncombe County as a whole had some decent rain, some impressive lightning, & some marginal winds. Not to bad of a squall line storm for us as the Mnts. usually wreck havoc on these things. Here is a story from the Asheville Citizen-Times about the storm in WNC.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110301/NEWS/303010032/High-winds-fell-trees-leaves-hundreds-dark?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Here is the lightning I captured last night:

I missed the real good ones but this is still pretty cool. You can see multiple individual return strokes at this frame rate. For best results watch it full screen on 720p. You may even be able to catch a leader or two. I can't wait until I finally get the ultimate shot I am looking for this year.

Just got back from my friend's house in the Glenwood Community to look at the trees that fell yesterday around 4:30 pm...the storm took down some old Oak's in my buddies front yard. As you ride by, you can see the path of trees that fell from NW to SE. That said, my gut feeling is 70 mph bowing instead of any rotation. Just didn't see any tree's that were twisted at the top. Also knowing that general area, the damage lined up along a gap between hill tops, therefor that area probably got some enhancement of winds through the gap.

Going back through the LSR's from yesterday, it was documented by the Greer NWS office...

Daffodils came out here 2/18, tulips 2/19. Azaleas bloomed 2/21. Trees leafed out 2/24. Cape Myrtle bloomed from 2/25-2/26. Beautiful reds and yellows when my maples turned 2/27. All leaves down from today's rain. Bring on the winter!!!

Man fall was short this year, least the heat wasn't too oppressive, and not long lived. Time for :snowwindow:

Archived