• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

I don't care about temperatures at this point. I just want a long dry stretch so I can get the yard work started.

btw ... since this thread has the term "long-range" in it, does anyone have any early ideas on summer? A repeat of 2010? Cooler? Wet or dry? Thanks for any insights.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care about temperatures at this point. I just want a long dry stretch so I can get the yard work started.

btw ... since this thread has the term "long-range" in it, does anyone have any early ideas on summer? A repeat of 2010? Cooler? Wet or dry? Thanks for any insights.

Probbly torch/dry to start, then maybe getting wetter as we transfer from La Nada into a weak Nino.

If JB's mega -NAO block holds then it would be coolder and rainier but right now I don't see that lasting into summer (if it happens at all)

Also with La Nada we typically see better severe weather reaching the east coast, no? (I hear Lee gathering his cameras already)

I hope its nothing but cutters back there. Over the last two months, including this morning, I've watched one storm after another collapse upon arrival here. 24 hours ago the GFS and EC had 0.30" here this morning. As late as last night the NAM had 0.30" here this morning, though by then the EC and GFS were backing off. Verification is gonna be maybe 0.11". The weather gods are torturing me this year. Just end winter everywhere now.

OK, end mindless rant ;)

I hope its nothing but cutters back there. Over the last two months, including this morning, I've watched one storm after another collapse upon arrival here. 24 hours ago the GFS and EC had 0.30" here this morning. As late as last night the NAM had 0.30" here this morning, though by then the EC and GFS were backing off. Verification is gonna be maybe 0.11". The weather gods are torturing me this year. Just end winter everywhere now.

OK, end mindless rant ;)

What is the average March rainfall amount in Elko? I'm interested.

OK, end mindless rant ;)

So, I'd assume you'd leave Elko for a NWS elsewhere?

So, I'd assume you'd leave Elko for a NWS elsewhere?

Elko can certainly get some good winter weather. Though usually in bitty pieces. Biggest event in the 4 years I've been here has been 8", and I was conveniently out of town during that one :lol: . There hasn't been a single storm greater than 10" in 14 years, even though we've had a few seasonal totals of greater than 60". Right now we're sitting at 31.9". That sounds decent, until you factor in that the biggest storm was 4.5".

So yeah, I'd leave for another office sure. Preferably an eastern one which gets as much or more snow seaonally as Trenton ;)

Elko can certainly get some good winter weather. Though usually in bitty pieces. Biggest event in the 4 years I've been here has been 8", and I was conveniently out of town during that one :lol: . There hasn't been a single storm greater than 10" in 14 years, even though we've had a few seasonal totals of greater than 60". Right now we're sitting at 31.9". That sounds decent, until you factor in that the biggest storm was 4.5".

So yeah, I'd leave for another office sure. Preferably an eastern one which gets as much or more snow seaonally as Trenton ;)

Gotcha.....I'm sure in time you'll move on to bigger and better, I mean wetter (whiter) places.

Just have to head up to the Rubies to get crushed thoughSnowman.gif

Just have to head up to the Rubies to get crushed thoughSnowman.gif

*If* you can get up there. They don't plow the road in winter, and the hybrid is front-wheel drive only, not 4-wheel ;) Besides, I prefer the snow to come to me. Trips up into the Rubies are for those funky June/September events, when the road is more navigable and the trees are foliaged.

*If* you can get up there. They don't plow the road in winter, and the hybrid is front-wheel drive only, not 4-wheel ;) Besides, I prefer the snow to come to me. Trips up into the Rubies are for those funky June/September events, when the road is more navigable and the trees are foliaged.

Too bad you're having such a miserable season this year, I know Nevada got rocked last year with the strong El Nino...

NYC through NNE is the place to be this winter..

Too bad you're having such a miserable season this year, I know Nevada got rocked last year with the strong El Nino...

Last winter was pretty good. Of course, the biggest "storm", 6.9" in late April, was really two smaller events, and the snow melted completely in between. Par for the course.

Too bad you're having such a miserable season this year

Oh, and here's another depressing stat... 31.9", but only about 5" of that since late December. That'd be a bad run even back home, let alone here...

OK, I'll stop crying you all a river for now ;)

I know it is a long way off, but does anyone know (predict) what the weather will be like on 3/21 through 3/25? Are any models showing any storms during that time period? Also, what do the temperatures look like?

GFS has been tanking the NAO in that period. So I'd have to say that there are chances of stormy weather and that it may well be rather chilly. Haven't seen the EC that far out, I only see thru day 10 and thru then the EC is positive with the NAO (at least the 0Z was). But then again, I think the GFS is too thru day 10.

Archived