• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Febuary 9-11 threat

Allsnow

This run of the GFS the SE ridge holds on and a typical lakes cutter arrives in about 14 days.....the overall synopsis of this event has shown up in different ways over the past few days and I would bet that this likely becomes our next threat, although it probably won't become apparant until sometime next week.

Noreaster, do you have the link to this GFS run for that storm?

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good news is, teleconnection Indices are looking much better around mid-month.

http://www.daculawea...om/ecmwf_00.php

Define much better? The nao is still positive, regarldess of it falling, and the GEFS don't show any appreciable west based block or +PNA throughout their run. The EPO tries to go negative but that doesn't look like it will get into a position to help the east coast othern than to possibly keep us on the cool side of mild.

Define much better? The nao is still positive, regarldess of it falling, and the GEFS don't show any appreciable west based block or +PNA throughout their run. The EPO tries to go negative but that doesn't look like it will get into a position to help the east coast othern than to possibly keep us on the cool side of mild.

For starters, when you consider how terrible they are now, its a big improvement. Secondly, the drop off is coming in the west based NAO, and on future runs, it might go negative. Lastly, after a breif period of + EPO, that is also forecast to go -. Lastly, the MJO should be moving into a more favorable phase if it turns the corner sharp enough.

phase.Last90days.gif

For starters, when you consider how terrible they are now, its a big improvement. Secondly, the drop off is coming in the west based NAO, and on future runs, it might go negative. Lastly, after a breif period of + EPO, that is also forecast to go -. Lastly, the MJO should be moving into a more favorable phase if it turns the corner sharp enough.

I believe the term for this is wishcasting. I admire your love of cold and snow and that you want it to snow all the time as most of us do, but its better to work off of what is actually happening or forecast to happen, and now what you wish or hope or pray might happen. Fact of the matter is nothing in the next two weeks is that promising for east coast storm development. The best chance right now looks to be around day 8 on a miller B but that is a big stretch. After that, the signs are mixed at best as the pattern decides which way it wants to go.

Unlike other recent systems, I don't expect this system to trend much further NW, if at all, because it is running into confluent flow. Also keep in mind that there is lots of dry air aloft that has to be overcome for snow to reach the ground even as far south as Delaware and southern NJ.

12z ECMWF actually brings light snow as far north as Asbury Park and the eastern end of Long Island.

Unlike other recent systems, I don't expect this system to trend much further NW, if at all, because it is running into confluent flow. Also keep in mind that there is lots of dry air aloft that has to be overcome for snow to reach the ground even as far south as Delaware and southern NJ.

How much time do we have for this to change, or is everything basically set? This is starting to remind me of some of our famous virga storms from the 80s.

Archived