• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather

Honestly, unless something is completely amiss, kpit is totally out to lunch.

Euro, gfs, nam, rgem, and the high red models all give us at least 4 inches.

I'm going with 4-7 locally, and 6-8 in the ridges.

I'm not sure what is going on either. Right now we only have a hazardous weather outlook which mentions the possibility of 1-3 inches. From all the info Iv gathered, 00z NAM, GFS, Euro, 6z NAM, GFS we look to get anywhere between .4 - .6 which would be all frozen or mostly frozen. Would say 3-6 sounds reasonable. Maybe NWS is waiting til the 12z models to make sure there is not another shift south which would take us out of the heavier snowfall.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, unless something is completely amiss, kpit is totally out to lunch.

Euro, gfs, nam, rgem, and the high red models all give us at least 4 inches.

I'm going with 4-7 locally, and 6-8 in the ridges.

You seem to be the outlier. I watched 4 and 11 this morning and they're in the same range as PBZ, and AccuWx has their little "X.X inches of snow on the way" headline beneath the graphics on the local forecast page. Yesterday, they were at 1,(somthing), sometime last night, they bumped it up to 3.3", I think it was, and now this morning it's back to an even 2".

Although HPC seems to put us in the area of 40% probability of 4"+, but gives us zero probabilty of 8+.

I guess we'll know tomorrow who got it right....

I see we are forecast for a high of 42 today.

I have been holding at 34 since late last night and it looks like most of Ohio is slowly falling except for near Cincy and south.

Is there a warm front on the way this afternoon that will boost temperatures before they fall tonight or will we have a earlier drop in temp and get the changeover earlier than expected?

yea-all the local mets are seriously saying not much at all...1-2 or something....I'm not buying into the 1-2 theory yet as ive spoken to a few good sources who think more than that....not that this is the same at all...but remember how everyone was saying 3-5, 4-8 before last year's 20" wallop???.....:snowman:

Not as much moisture as last years storm and also much faster moving.

I do however see totals going up to 3-5 at least.

FWIW locals are saying 2" to 4"

NAM looks like it's holding at 12Z, and will probably print out 6" or 7" again...It's getting awfully close to gametime not to start taking it seriously......but....

I think it's a high bust potential scenario, and thus the conservative forecasts. We have a narrow window to get the cold air in here, and have the heaviest precipitation fall. I hate to keep beating the "this looks too progressive" drum, but we are going to have to thread the needle.

I'm going 3" to 5"....

FWIW locals are saying 2" to 4"

NAM looks like it's holding at 12Z, and will probably print out 6" or 7" again...It's getting awfully close to gametime not to start taking it seriously......but....

I think it's a high bust potential scenario, and thus the conservative forecasts. We have a narrow window to get the cold air in here, and have the heaviest precipitation fall. I hate to keep beating the "this looks too progressive" drum, but we are going to have to thread the needle.

I'm going 3" to 5"....

3-5 certainly better than the 1-2 call!!...I'll take 4 and be happy!

You seem to be the outlier. I watched 4 and 11 this morning and they're in the same range as PBZ, and AccuWx has their little "X.X inches of snow on the way" headline beneath the graphics on the local forecast page. Yesterday, they were at 1,(somthing), sometime last night, they bumped it up to 3.3", I think it was, and now this morning it's back to an even 2".

Although HPC seems to put us in the area of 40% probability of 4"+, but gives us zero probabilty of 8+.

I guess we'll know tomorrow who got it right....

I guess my point was more along the lines of how does the NWS not have an advisory up at this point? I mean, every model is printing out at least 4 inches...12z NAM just printed out close to .5 inches, and with temps likely crashing, thats probably 6 inches. I'm not sure how KPIT can't have at least an advisory up? At the very least, we are going to see a good 6 hour burst of heavier snow.

I really see 4-6 or 7 at the top end, and think an advisory is necessary at this point.

I see we are forecast for a high of 42 today.

I have been holding at 34 since late last night and it looks like most of Ohio is slowly falling except for near Cincy and south.

Is there a warm front on the way this afternoon that will boost temperatures before they fall tonight or will we have a earlier drop in temp and get the changeover earlier than expected?

Temperatures look to be cooling. 32 degree line is pretty close by and with winds coming in from the N I don't see us making 42 as the boundary is to our south and is not going to make it any further north than M/D line.

post-328-0-15971600-1298303204.gif

Just looking at the graphics it looks like most of SWPA on the GFS will be between .5 and .75 qpf. Unless NWS thinks temps will be an issue I would be shocked to not see advisories go up shortly.

post-328-0-62151900-1298302984.gif

That could be the key.....does this stuff in the 1PM to 7 PM window fall as snow....and more importantly.... accumulating snow.

Otherwise I say it's a 4"-ish type storm with most falling 7 PM to midnight.

That could be the key.....does this stuff in the 1PM to 7 PM window fall as snow....and more importantly.... accumulating snow.

Otherwise I say it's a 4"-ish type storm with most falling 7 PM to midnight.

I just went up a degree to 35.4.

I think we will get a lot of rain before we switch over tonight. It looks like the cold air moving south is retreating and heading back north.

I still think 2-4 or 3-5 will be a good call but most coming later tonight.

Updated NWS...

FPUS51 KPBZ 211550

ZFPPBZ

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1050 AM EST MON FEB 21 2011

PAZ021-212145-

ALLEGHENY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA

.TODAY...RAIN LIKELY. SNOW LIKELY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. NEAR STEADY

TEMPERATURE IN THE MID 30S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

.TONIGHT...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. LOWS AROUND

18. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING...

THEN PARTLY SUNNY IN THE AFTERNOON. LITTLE OR NO ADDITIONAL SNOW

ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO

10 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 50 PERCENT.

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

1208 PM EST MON FEB 21 2011

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-PAZ007-008-013>016-020>022-029-031-073-

075-WVZ001>004-220115-

/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0014.110221T2300Z-110222T1500Z/

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-

MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-MERCER-VENANGO-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-

JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-WASHINGTON-GREENE-

WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...

UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...

EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...

HOPEDALE...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...

MARTINS FERRY...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...

SHADYSIDE...BRIDGEPORT...SHARON...HERMITAGE...GROVE CITY...

GREENVILLE...FARRELL...OIL CITY...FRANKLIN...SUGARCREEK...

NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...CLARION...

PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...

ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...BEAVER...

PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...

FREEPORT...APOLLO...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...

CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...

FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...

MONESSEN...UNIONTOWN...CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...TORONTO...

WEIRTON...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE

1208 PM EST MON FEB 21 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO

10 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING

TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES.

* TIMING...THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. SNOW COVERED ROADS.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE MILE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING. REPORT YOUR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772.

My temp has gone down a degree to 34.3.

Looking at the Intellicast radar the rain/snow line is dropping thru Alleg. Co.

I think when the precip starts in an hour or so we will already be getting a mix in most places.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USPA1290&animate=true

Has to be old. Dennis Bowman tends to give higher amounts than the rest of the local mets. Last year's monster storm, he said 8-12 while everyone else was still saying 3-6 the morning of that storm.

Yeah, I think alot of times those forecasts have to be made way in advance for the radio, and sometimes even for TV.

Updated NWS...

FPUS51 KPBZ 211550

ZFPPBZ

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT

PAZ021-212145-

ALLEGHENY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA

.TODAY...RAIN LIKELY. SNOW LIKELY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. NEAR STEADY

TEMPERATURE IN THE MID 30S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

.TONIGHT...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. LOWS AROUND

18. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING...

THEN PARTLY SUNNY IN THE AFTERNOON. LITTLE OR NO ADDITIONAL SNOW

ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO

10 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 50 PERCENT.

My browser must be messed up, because I can't get that new forecast to show up. It's still stuck on the old forecast from last night.

My browser must be messed up, because I can't get that new forecast to show up. It's still stuck on the old forecast from last night.

I don't think it's your browser. It must be the site, because it's doing the same thing to me. It shows the winter weather advisory at the top, but the forecast below it still shows 1-3 for tonight. Click on the mobile weather information link and get to the forecast that way. It shows the forecast that Burghblizz posted, actually updated at 12:23PM. Here's the link to the page actually.....

http://mobile.weathe...warnzone=PAZ021

I don't think it's your browser. It must be the site, because it's doing the same thing to me. It shows the winter weather advisory at the top, but the forecast below it still shows 1-3 for tonight. Click on the mobile weather information link and get to the forecast that way. It shows the forecast that Burghblizz posted, actually updated at 12:23PM. Here's the link to the page actually.....

http://mobile.weathe...warnzone=PAZ021

Thanks, I'll have to remember that.

Was caught in this storm near Columbus yesterday, we had 1" of ice on I-70 and we counted 14 accidents and saw two happen. One was very disturbing near Zanesville we witnessed, an SUV had spun around in the passing lane and a tractor trailer looked as if it ran over top of it as it could'nt stop. The ambulance approached the scene with lights off and there was massive amounts of blood all over the crash scene and on the windshield indicating the occupant(s) were all dead. So be careful out there on highways with ice and sleet, drive slow, turn on your hazards and don't be in a rush. I bet you the people yesterday had no idea Sunday February 20th was going to be his\her last day.

Archived