Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got in for the night. The side roads are snow covered and main roads are slushy.

I am at a higher elevation so the snow accumulates up here faster.

I had a feeling all day this storm was going to overperform. The Nam and Gfs were getting wetter each model run.

My temp has gone below freezing at 31.6.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1027 PM EST MON FEB 7 2011

PAZ016-021>023-029-031-073>076-WVZ021-022-080530-

JEFFERSON PA-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-

WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-MARION-

MONONGALIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...

REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...

FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...

WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...

MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...

NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...LIGONIER...

DONEGAL...NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...UNIONTOWN...

CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...NORMALVILLE...FARMINGTON...

OHIOPYLE...MARKLEYSBURG...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN

1027 PM EST MON FEB 7 2011

A BAND OF MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW STRETCHING ACROSS SOUTHWEST

PENNSYLVANIA WILL MOVE EAST TO THE PENNSYLVANIA AND WEST VIRGINIA

RIDGES BY 1230 AM. 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE WITH THIS

BAND...WITH VISIBILITIES REDUCED TO ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

TRAVELERS SHOULD BE ALERT FOR RAPID REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY...AND

FOR SNOW AND ICE COVERED SURFACES.

$$

Ended up with about an inch this morning. Looking at the GFS this might be our last snow fall for awhile. Things get pretty zonal into next week with the pattern. I don't see any extended raging blow torch anywhere but temps will probably tend to the upper side of average as apposed to below once the current cold shot gets pushed out. Also, for once the GFS is void of any fantasy blizzards, now what will we talk about!? :lol:

Ended up with about an inch this morning. Looking at the GFS this might be our last snow fall for awhile. Things get pretty zonal into next week with the pattern. I don't see any extended raging blow torch anywhere but temps will probably tend to the upper side of average as apposed to below once the current cold shot gets pushed out. Also, for once the GFS is void of any fantasy blizzards, now what will we talk about!? :lol:

Picked up 2 inches here. It looks like a heavy band over the western part of the city may put down 1/2 inch of snow.

Yes it looks to be cold and dry over the next several days. I don't mind the snow but at this time of the year I can do without the cold. Bring me a big storm or bring me warmer weather.

Picked up 2 inches here. It looks like a heavy band over the western part of the city may put down 1/2 inch of snow.

Yes it looks to be cold and dry over the next several days. I don't mind the snow but at this time of the year I can do without the cold. Bring me a big storm or bring me warmer weather.

Part of that band is starting to affect the Greensburg area now. Snowing pretty heavily at the moment with big cotton ball looking flakes floating down. :snowman:

I don't mind the average temperatures, but this bitter cold stuff is getting tiring now. Of course as you mentioned, if it is acompanied by a big storm I'll take it, heck I would take it even with 2-4 inches every other day but just cold and dry I will pass on. Once we get into march, its gotta be big (6+) and hit at night for me.

I'm currently in West Mifflin and that band just moved through here. Picked up a quick half inch. Just enough to mess up the roads all over again. The sun is out here now. Yeah, it looks like this thread is probably going to get pretty quiet for a while after today. We've had a lot of storms to track for quite a while now, even though most of them have missed us. Now, things look to get pretty quiet on this side of the country.

These next 2 days are my toughest to deal with. Dry and cold.

I would rather be tracking a big snow storm. If not it might as well be 40 and sunny.

I know what you mean, I'd rather it be warm enough, where I could at least work on my car.

Some folks point to our seasonal totals to us having a good year, but there's alot of fluff to those totals.

Now i'm not saying that PIT is as bad as YNG when it comes to over reporting snowfall, however they seem to stretch the true amounts at times.

I know what you mean, I'd rather it be warm enough, where I could at least work on my car.

Some folks point to our seasonal totals to us having a good year, but there's alot of fluff to those totals.

Now i'm not saying that PIT is as bad as YNG when it comes to over reporting snowfall, however they seem to stretch the true amounts at times.

LOL....I don't think they have any motivation to exaggerate totals especially on 2" events. Also, it's their job, not just some weenie. Most of the events where spotters have reported have plenty of supporting evidence.

The NWS in the past has seemingly underreported during some big events....but I think that has more to do with being west of town with storms where south and east got more.

However....I agree 100% that it hasn't been the impact you would expect having 40" in early February. But that speaks more to the type of events. If it snows an inch overnight.....a half inch in the afternoon....and another half inch late in the evening, it's still 2". If it does that 4 days in a week, that's still 8". Sure, we'd rather see that 8" in 8 hours, but it's still snow that needs to be counted :snowman:

LOL....I don't think they have any motivation to exaggerate totals especially on 2" events. Also, it's their job, not just some weenie. Most of the events where spotters have reported have plenty of supporting evidence.

The NWS in the past has seemingly underreported during some big events....but I think that has more to do with being west of town with storms where south and east got more.

However....I agree 100% that it hasn't been the impact you would expect having 40" in early February. But that speaks more to the type of events. If it snows an inch overnight.....a half inch in the afternoon....and another half inch late in the evening, it's still 2". If it does that 4 days in a week, that's still 8". Sure, we'd rather see that 8" in 8 hours, but it's still snow that needs to be counted :snowman:

LOL.... I think some of that is just sour grapes on my part for living at the bottom of a river valley.

I guess Im still getting used to living at 750 ft. lol

Here, you guys might get a kick out of this thread about the gas line explosion in Columbiana County last night.

What makes it particularly interesting from the perspective of our interests here, is the contributions of the flight attendent, laurelholley, and what that implies about last night's weather. How does visibility of 160+ across West Virginia grab you?

Here, you guys might get a kick out of this thread about the gas line explosion in Columbiana County last night.

What makes it particularly interesting from the perspective of our interests here, is the contributions of the flight attendent, laurelholley, and what that implies about last night's weather. How does visibility of 160+ across West Virginia grab you?

Very interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Wind Advisory

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

820 AM EST MON FEB 14 2011

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-031-073-

075-WVZ001>004-142130-

/O.CON.KPBZ.WI.Y.0004.000000T0000Z-110215T0100Z/

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-

MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-

CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-

WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-

MARSHALL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...

UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...

EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...

HOPEDALE...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...

MARTINS FERRY...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...

SHADYSIDE...BRIDGEPORT...SHARON...HERMITAGE...GROVE CITY...

GREENVILLE...FARRELL...OIL CITY...FRANKLIN...SUGARCREEK...

TIONESTA...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...

CLARION...PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...

ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...BEAVER...

PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...

FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...

CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...

FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...

MONESSEN...UNIONTOWN...CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...TORONTO...

WEIRTON...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE

820 AM EST MON FEB 14 2011

...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EST THIS EVENING...

A WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EST THIS EVENING.

* TIMING: THROUGH THIS EVENING.

* WINDS: WEST WINDS 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH

* IMPACTS: CROSS GUSTS WILL MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT. LOOSE OBJECTS

MAY BE BLOWN ABOUT. ROTTED TREES AND BRANCHES MAY BE DOWNED.

POWER LINES POTENTIALLY DOWN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WIND GUSTS GREATER THAN 45 MPH ARE

EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...

ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.

&&

$$

Archived