• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather

Hopefully a new thread will shake things up - didn't get much snow per hours tracked on these last two storms.

We certainly can't expect another 4 feet of snow this February.....but would love to bring home a double digit storm as well as get this yearly total over 50". A seventh Super Bowl title would be nice too!!

GFS looks wetter for the Saturday storm, taking it just inland up the coast. Looks about the same for the Day 7 chance, tracking SLP just to our southeast.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird weather this morning in Greensburg. Snow covered ground, sun is out, dark clouds approaching, rainbow in the distance, and just heard a rumble of thunder.

Edit: Just saw a flash of lightening. :lightning:

Well thankfully the ice threat never materialized here in the South Hills. We need an active next 4-6 weeks here to close out meteorological Winter. I know technically and quantitatively we have had an above average Winter, but it does not feel like. Not one storm for me over 5.5", with lots of 1" events. One good 8-10" and then an early Spring late March would work for me.

You and me both Digger. Our farm lane is a sheet of packed ice right now. I had hoped that the rain last night would melt though to the ground at least in places but it didn't happen. Went out about 8 AM and I can't even walk on this lane let alone drive. My mother will be 93 in March; she's in a wheelchair and hospital bed and if she needs an ambulance up here it will be really bad. And I have no idea what to do. I have -- maybe -- one bag of salt, 50 lbs of sand, and part of a bag of kitty litter. The lane is a quarter-mile long.

Thank God for Punxy Phil!

I'd really much rather discuss April.

:maprain:

Pretty warm this morning...probably close to 60 in MoTown. Temp down to 47 now and I'm guessing will continue to drop...not sure when the front is supposed to move through. There are mixed feelings about the long-term signal, some saying warmer for two weeks then a return to the previous pattern, and others saying winter is basically done until March where it is tougher to get winter conditions as spring moves in. I'm not big on cold springs so hopefully we get winter the next month or 6 weeks and then we get a warmer pattern. I'm looking for one big snow and one more moderate event.

Springtime...

It was great while it lasted.

:thumbsup:

Was outside for the last hour or so. Sunshine, gentle breezes, temps pushing 50.... :sun:

Oh well.... :(

It was bright and sunny here and now the clouds are rolling in and winds are gusting over 40 mph. I had some small tree branches come down. Here comes the cold and snow.

Yeah, could just be a hiccup though. Does anyone know what the Euro has been showing for this?

Either that or the GFS is trending toward what some of the other models have been showing. The other models haven't been too impressive with that storm for us. GFS has given us the best hit up until now. Haven't seen the Euro.

What a shock....GFS trended east and took away the heavier precip....this winter sucks.

Pittsburgh average snowfall by month:

Oct: .4

Nov 3.1

Dec 7.2

Jan 12.3

Feb 7.8

Mar 7.6

Apr 1.5

Total 39.9

So far:

Oct 0

Nov 0

Dec 12.2

Jan 24.1

Feb 0

Total so far: 36.3

Yeah, great post. It's not like you guys have been above normal in December and almost double normal in January, and almost at normal with the two snowiest months yet to come. If that were the case, then you would look really silly.

Unless of course you making fun of the idiots in the mid-Atlantic/Philly threads then in that case, well played scooter.gif

The weekend storm seems to be following the pattern this year, where the storm phases too far north and east, thus limiting the heavy snow closer to the coast.

Aah to hell with it, by the time saturday rolls around i'm gonna be in full steelers beast mode anyway.

So Fu** New York, Fu** Chicago, Fu** D.C., you can have your storms, i'll take the superbowl instead.

Nov 3.1

Dec 7.2

Jan 12.3

Feb 7.8

Mar 7.6

Apr 1.5

Total 39.9

So far:

Oct 0

Nov 0

Dec 12.2

Jan 24.1

Feb 0

Yeah, great post. It's not like you guys have been above normal in December and almost double normal in January, and almost at normal with the two snowiest months yet to come. If that were the case, then you would look really silly.

Unless of course you making fun of the idiots in the mid-Atlantic/Philly threads then in that case, well played scooter.gif

A little perspective goes a long way although I think he was referring to the couple near misses we have had on the ever illusive 6+ storm. Another thing I will add to your point is the number of days we have had with snow cover. Seems like the ground has been white almost all winter! Would be curious to see the number of days we had snow cover.

How did you guys end up doing with all the ice?

Nov 3.1

Dec 7.2

Jan 12.3

Feb 7.8

Mar 7.6

Apr 1.5

Total 39.9

So far:

Oct 0

Nov 0

Dec 12.2

Jan 24.1

Feb 0

I should have been clearer...our total can be decieving...that is based almost totally on 1-2 inch events or long duration 6 inch events. What we want is a big storm. The nuisance 2 inches every 3 days gets really old. Dump 10 inches on me at one time please.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

444 PM EST WED FEB 2 2011

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ007>009-013>015-020>022-029-

031-WVZ001>004-012-021-022-030000-

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-

MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-

LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-WASHINGTON-

GREENE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-MONONGALIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...

UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...

EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...

HOPEDALE...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...

MARTINS FERRY...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...

SHADYSIDE...BRIDGEPORT...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...SHARON...

HERMITAGE...GROVE CITY...GREENVILLE...FARRELL...OIL CITY...

FRANKLIN...SUGARCREEK...TIONESTA...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...

BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...CLARION...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...

AMBRIDGE...MONACA...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...

FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...WASHINGTON...

CANONSBURG...DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...

MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...TORONTO...WEIRTON...WHEELING...

MOUNDSVILLE...NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN

444 PM EST WED FEB 2 2011

...SNOW SHOWERS TO IMPACT THE EVENING COMMUTE...

SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL SHIFT EASTWARD

ACROSS EASTERN OHIO...WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA...AND NORTHERN WEST

VIRGINIA THROUGH 7 PM. WITH THE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS...VISIBILITIES

WILL REDUCE DOWN TO A HALF MILE AT TIMES. A QUICK HALF INCH TO

INCH OF ACCUMULATION WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS SNOW...LEADING TO

POTENTIAL SLICK SPOTS ON AREA ROADWAYS. IN ADDITION...WINDS

GUSTING AT 20 TO 30 MPH WILL LEAD TO BLOWING SNOW. MOTORISTS ARE

URGED TO EXERCISE CAUTION IN THESE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS DURING

TRAVEL THIS EVENING.

$$

WOODRUM

We got close to an inch down here, if not an inch from last night. It was snowing pretty hard in the evening at times, just unfortunate it wasn't a larger and more powerful system instead of passing snow showers. Hopefully Saturday still has some surprises in store for the area.

Also, did anyone check the EURO/GFS for next week? Right now it could be good for the area, although there might still need to be minor corrections. That threat may be exciting to watch though, until the models lose it. :whistle:

Although the overall set-up is different from tuesday, I can see temps being an issue again for Fri-Sat.

If temps get as high as forecasted friday afternoon, there is a possibility that some of the initial precip falls as rain, and for some areas alot could fall as rain.

Remember Monday how the daytime warmth got trapped by the clouds, along with warm 850's.... well this time the 850's might be cold enough, but the boundry layer temps could be too warm again.

I know I know it's too early to talk specifics, but the possible timing of the event is similiar to monday.

Although the overall set-up is different from tuesday, I can see temps being an issue again for Fri-Sat.

If temps get as high as forecasted friday afternoon, there is a possibility that some of the initial precip falls as rain, and for some areas alot could fall as rain.

Remember Monday how the daytime warmth got trapped by the clouds, along with warm 850's.... well this time the 850's might be cold enough, but the boundry layer temps could be too warm again.

I know I know it's too early to talk specifics, but the possible timing of the event is similiar to monday.

Yeah right now the Fri-Sat thing is not looking that great both in terms of precip and temps. Might get a bit better but won't be anything other than the typical 1-3 inches we have seen out of a lot of storms thus far. Looks like we have a little clipper on Monday, then both the Euro and GFS seem to be hinting at the possibility of a bigger storm about a week from now.

Yeah right now the Fri-Sat thing is not looking that great both in terms of precip and temps. Might get a bit better but won't be anything other than the typical 1-3 inches we have seen out of a lot of storms thus far. Looks like we have a little clipper on Monday, then both the Euro and GFS seem to be hinting at the possibility of a bigger storm about a week from now.

I've said the same thing all along I think this Saturday may be a 1-3 inch snow also but temps will be an issue so it will probably only accumulate morning and night and will probably be a wet snow.

Next weeks storm is really being talked about in the midwest/Ohio threads.

It seems like anymore these kinds of storms have a one in ten chance of getting us. It is like Central Pa is resistant to any storm moving up in that direction. It will either go way east or will move up over us or west and turn us to slop and rain. The odds are not good but of course I will be watching and getting frustrated again like always.

It felt good to have the sun today even if it didn't make it out of the 20's.:sun:

Archived