Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea what's up with going back to sleet once it was snow??..

It snowed at my apt. for about 25 minutes I would say and now it's all sleet again. Bethel Park is a tough area to live in if you like snow. LES rarely makes it down this way. Always stays to the north and east into the mountains. And when we have storms like this, we always change over way later or sometimes not at all.I know plenty of folks on here talk about how the Pittsburgh area is a "screwzone" when it comes to missing storms. I think this area is a "screwzone" within the "screwzone". Lol I guess all we can do is wait and hope we get back into the snow soon. It'll change back eventually, but the longer it takes, the less our totals are going to be. If 4 to 7 holds true for the area, we'll probably be closer to 4 here. OK, done venting. Lol

It snowed at my apt. for about 25 minutes I would say and now it's all sleet again. Bethel Park is a tough area to live in if you like snow. LES rarely makes it down this way. Always stays to the north and east into the mountains. And when we have storms like this, we always change over way later or sometimes not at all.I know plenty of folks on here talk about how the Pittsburgh area is a "screwzone" when it comes to missing storms. I think this area is a "screwzone" within the "screwzone". Lol I guess all we can do is wait and hope we get back into the snow soon. It'll change back eventually, but the longer it takes, the less our totals are going to be. If 4 to 7 holds true for the area, we'll probably be closer to 4 here. OK, done venting. Lol

HAHA-you're totally correct-our area really IS a screwzone within a screwzone!!....let's be happy with 4 I guess....:popcorn:

No official measurement but eye balling it it looks like about 3 inches so far. Drive home was fun, got to drive through the sleet to snow change over, but got home before things were really bad. Had to head out to get my wife's prescription and there was a car stuck with a tow truck pulling them out, and another car was stuck trying to get out of Giant Eagle parking lot. Roads are ice covered under the snow and current temp is about 29. Snowing harder than I have saw it snow all season! If we get thunder snow ill really get pumped!

Storm is really catching everyone off guard. This evening saw Jeff V was calling for 4-5 inches but its a bit to late for most folks who are stuck out on the road.

Just got home....eyeballing about 3"

I thought the accumulating snow would be starting right.... about....... now. So this was bonus to me. I'm thinking 6" to 8"

I've seen this before in a rain to snow scenario that happens on the front end of a storm....just like how the warm tongue makes it's arrival earlier than expected, the cold air made it sooner too.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

654 PM EST MON FEB 21 2011

OHZ039>041-049-050-PAZ013-014-020>023-029-073>076-WVZ001>003-

220200-

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-LAWRENCE-

BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-

WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...

UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...

EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...CADIZ...HOPEDALE...

STEUBENVILLE...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...

ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...BEAVER...

PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...

FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...

CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...GREENSBURG...

NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...LIGONIER...

DONEGAL...NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...UNIONTOWN...

CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...NORMALVILLE...FARMINGTON...

OHIOPYLE...MARKLEYSBURG...TORONTO...WEIRTON...WHEELING

654 PM EST MON FEB 21 2011

...HEAVY SNOW CONTINUES...

AREAS OF SNOW...WHICH WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE

THROUGH 9 PM. COMMUTERS CAN EXPECT VISIBILITY TO BE REDUCED TO A

HALF MILE OR LESS ALONG WITH RAPID ACCUMULATION OF SNOW AT THE

RATE OF AN INCH PER HOUR IN THE HEAVIER SNOW.

SNOW AT THAT RATE WILL QUICKLY COVER ROADS. DO NOT DRIVE UNLESS

ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. MOTORISTS WHO DO VENTURE OUT SHOULD ALLOW

FOR EXTRA TIME AND ARE ADVISED TO EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION.

WINTER STORM WARNINGS ARE IN EFFECT TONIGHT. STORM TOTALS ARE

FORECAST TO RANGE FROM 5 TO 9 INCHES WITH HEAVIEST SNOW FALLING

BEFORE MIDNIGHT.

$$

And how the NWS and local mets underestimated this just this morning. This is going to end up being our biggest snow of the season.

Another very difficult forecast where it would again be tough to find an analog that produced a major snowfall in Pittsburgh.

This reminds me a little of Dec 5 2003 with SLP track.....8" official...12" IMBY........but the upper levels here are a LOT different.Just very rare to see an open, progressive flow like this give us a big snow.

Archived