joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 5-6 Threat

jrodd321

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That southerly flow around the Clipper kills us this run.

The storm also takes quite a bit longer to develop than previous runs, the 06z GFS (which was a nice event by the way) had snow on us by 18z Saturday.

This run still has the Low in the Gulf at 18z Sat.

That extra time allows warmer air to build back in since there's no blocking to keep our cold air locked in. Fortunately, this run of the GFS disagrees with previous GFS runs and the ECM, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

at day 5 the s/w fails to phase with the northern stream diving in (misses the phase).. I wouldnt get worked up over this as it still comes up the coast anyway strictly driven by the southern stream and no northern stream. We need to wait for the LC to get out of the way to start taking models more seriously.

It seems like these snowstorm threats are just fading away in the mid-range and never come back. I hope late Feb completes this winter.

I know, I probably shouldn't complain because I live in Cape May and it is obviously too early to make such claims. The December 26-27th system was the only significant snowfall down here.

Especially on January 30th.:arrowhead:

Their is an even more interesting setup in the 9-10 day range......no need to get discouraged because the storm misses 6-8 days out. DC gets smoked by the second system with high pressure in great position. Only problem is the high is in such great posistion that the system stays supressed and passes well to our south and east. Still would be a very nice hit for most areas.

Teleconnections aren't looking that great going forward, the seemingly invincible -NAO will probably break down.

its been broken down for weeks dude, and philly/nyc have still been getting snow. Many experts are calling for a -nao rejuvination in february.

Honestly, their is a dip in the NAO around the same time that the 9-10 day threat comes to fruition. Hopefully in future runs we can sqeeze out a slightly negitive NAO to help things along. The extended range though looks horrid wth the latest EC weeklies really pumping up the typical NINA SE ridge and saying goodbye to winter in the east. Of course, their are alot of unbelievers at the moment.

Honestly, their is a dip in the NAO around the same time that the 9-10 day threat comes to fruition. Hopefully in future runs we can sqeeze out a slightly negitive NAO to help things along. The extended range though looks horrid wth the latest EC weeklies really pumping up the typical NINA SE ridge and saying goodbye to winter in the east. Of course, their are alot of unbelievers at the moment.

THERE

I'm more than ok with that, we've had over 50" of snow, more than double the average, more than last winter. We've also seen extended cold for December and January.We've had snow cover since Dec 26, I can't recall the last time we've had such a long lasting snow cover, pretty amazing. Even the upcoming storm will not be able to take down the snow cover because temps will likely not be that high (30s) even if it rains.

Archived